FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Casting the Greek Gods and Goddesses. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Casting the Greek Gods and Goddesses.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing about Zeus is that he isn't a kindly, wise man. He isn't even a terribly sympathetic character. As Teshi pointed out, he's a powerful, dangerous being, with elements of the sexual predator about him. He's charismatic, certainly, but I don't think that I've seen a suggestion for him yet that would really be capable of doing the character justice. I'm wish I had a good suggestion, but I'm still mulling it over.

As for Hades, I'd like to see him played as something other than slightly evil. There is a gravity to Hades, but he really isn't worse than any of his siblings. I could *maybe* see him being played by Lawrence Fishburne, but I'm not sure that I won't come up with someone better as I think about it further.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Natalie Portman would make a MUCH better Persephone.

Ares will always be the guy who played Ares on Xena... Even though he's dead =(

I DEFENATELY second Gina Torres as Athena. Athena wasn't some delicate flower, though she COULD be vane. Athena sprung from the head of Zeus. She was kinda butch.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As Teshi pointed out, [Zeus is] a powerful, dangerous being, with elements of the sexual predator about him. He's charismatic, certainly, but I don't think that I've seen a suggestion for him yet that would really be capable of doing the character justice.
John Malkovich or Kevin Spacey. They'll have to buff out a bit.

Hera should be played by Camryn Manheim, of 'The Practice' fame.

Apollo should be played by Kenneth Branaugh.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Ares will always be the guy who played Ares on Xena...
Or Commander Crais (Lani John Tupu) from Farscape.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Oh, John Malkovich! That's the best suggestion I've heard yet for Zeus.

Kenneth Branaugh might be a little old now to play Apollo, but a younger version of him would be great in the role.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Zeus: Harrison Ford is too...normal to play Zeus. There's a wide-eyed innocence to him (as, say Jack Ryan or as the Fugative) that is hard to shake. He doesn't have that predatory angle that he'd need. He's too rough.

But in the vein of Sean Connery, if he was bulkier, Peirce Brosnan. So might Jude Law, if he was older and bigger.

Hera: I always felt that Hera was not all that attractive or nice. So her physical stature was more 'handsome' than beautiful. Hillary Clinton fits. So does Susan Sarandon.

Aphrodite: I love Angelina Jolie. She is the epitome of traditional and modern classical beauty. Who cares about the hair. Ditto with Monica Bellucci. Curvy in a traditional way. Jennifer Connelly would work, too, though she's slimmed down a mite too much for me.

Ares: Christian Bale would be awesome. But so would Brad Pitt. Very bloody and rugged and handsome.

Hermes: I can see Jude Law. Very mercurial (pun intended): can go from light to dark quickly. Just impish enough, without being extreme.

Those are my ideas, plus a bunch I am forgetting or totally agree with.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

Denzel Washington could do Zeus, I think. Think "Training Day" with the seduction amped to include sexuality.

Ruthless enough to castrate his father, cheat on his wife, be bought and yet kind to his friends.

Almost like Sulla from the Masters of Rome series.

Yeah, that might work.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think Denzel was at all believable in Training Day. I know 13 year-old suburban white kids that sound more comfortable with urban slang than Denzel did.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

While I sincerely disagree with you regarding Denzel's use of slang, that is, in my opinion, completely beside the point.

I was speaking more specifically to his psychological seduction of Ethan Hawke. The way he kept pushing him and then pulling him back, constantly turning the tables, always one step ahead of him.

He was a snake and was ruthless. Even before his final attempt to win Ethan to his side, he had already made arrangements with the homies to kill Ethan. And yet Denzel was fascinating to watch. He'd push and push and then push too far, then pull back and speak to Ethan from a more traditional perspective, drawing him along. It was only when he killed Roger did he lose Ethan completely. But up to that time, Ethan was on the fence. But even then, we weren't sure that Ethan was lost to him. We watched Denzel empathize with his moral struggle, but with the way out that the ends justified the means and that it was only for 18 months and then the sky's the limit.

He was charming and dangerous and utterly amoral and selfish. And it was utterly believable.

He could do Zeus. Sedecing women? Talking Hera into forgiving him or at least taking him back (while letting her vent on his offspring)? Dealing with his brothers and mortals? No question, in my mind.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I just said that the role you cited as evidence why he'd be such a great Zeus was, IMO, one of his worst performances. Just because you believed it doesn't mean it was inherently believable. Just as me not buying it for a second doesn't necessarily make it a bad performance. But seriously, I cringed throughout that movie.

I'm sure he'd be great as one of these gods, but I just don't see him as Zeus. No edge.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I think Johnny Depp would make a great Dionysus; he's just boyish enough, and still has that wild, fanatical, mysterious look to him.
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo, I like Jude Law as Hermes!

With the description Noemon gave of Zeus just now (especially the "sexual predator" part) I can't get Chris Walken out of my mind. Anyone ever see those "The Continental" skits with him as the would-be seducer of whomever was mutely behind the camera? I love how he pronounces "champange." :giggle:

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
I think Johnny Depp would make a great Dionysus; he's just boyish enough, and still has that wild, fanatical, mysterious look to him.
That same wild, fanatical, mysterious quality would lend itself well to playing Pan as well.
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] Yeah bev, I'm always entertained those skits.

I agree that Jude Law would make a great Hermes. Christopher Walken occurred to me as a possibility for Zeus, but I'm not utterly sold on anyone for the part yet. I keep thinking that there is *somebody* who is perfect for it that I haven't come up with yet. He and Malkovich are the best candidates I've seen mentioned though.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Nathan Fillion (think Caleb rather than Mal)?
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Zeus: Peter Stormare
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.