FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Learning hiragana and katakana

Author Topic: Learning hiragana and katakana
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents received an information packet from my study abroad program. They recommended I learn as much Japanese as possible before arriving in Tokyo. They also said I should try and memorize the hiragana and katakana alphabets before I arrive (I guess so they don't have to leave time for that in the 6 week class I'm taking).

I've tried in the past to learn hiragana and katakana. I have a hard time memorizing what the symbols stand for (since most don't look anything like what they are). I've tried practicing with flash card before but to no avail. Does anyone have any techniques that might be good at memorizing these alphabets? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I know hiragana and katakana...
It takes quite a bit of practice.
Perhaps japanese children's books might help.
Perhaps learning simple words in katakana and hiragana would work
Hiragana is easier for me, but katakana has a lot of words that come from English in it.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I can remember a, i, and u pretty easily (a because it's on the cover of one of my learning Japanese books, i and u because they look similar to the letters). The rest are hard for me.

I have a Japanese children's book as well as some Japanese manga designed for kids around the age of 5 or so. I'll take a look at those and see if it helps me.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Oo
where did you get stuff like that?
I need to master Japanese and soon. I took two years of it, but forgot so much.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Try and think of an object that makes the sound of that character and also LOOKS like it in some way or another.

For example the character for the sound "nu" looks like two chopsticks picking up some NOODLES.

The beginner "Nakama" textbook has a bunch of such illustrations.

Do not give up on the flashcards, keep at 'em. It's a matter of time and repetition. Try and teach them to another person because you learn a lot trying to explain to them what's going on with this funky alphabet. [Wink]

I would learn Hiragana first, followed by Katakana, and not both at the same time.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I had a friend here at school who studied Japanese. He had tons of Japanese stuff. Last spring, he moved to Japan, and so he couldn't take all his stuff with him. He gave away a lot of it. I asked him for whatever stuff he could recommend for a beginner in Japanese. He gave me a small stack of stuff (including a Japanese Bible).
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Earendil's advice is good - that's the method that my Japanese professor used last year. She handed out these packets with illustrations that turned each character into an object that made that character's sound. It was really helpful, although some of the associations were a bit weird (for example, katakana "mu" was a <b>moo</b>se taking a bite out of a triangle. [Confused] ). I've been taking Japanese for two years now, and that's still how I remember some of the characters.

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Earendil's advice is what I used too. Another thing I used to do is memorize one set of sounds at a time, and trace them in the air every time I had to drive somewhere. I have a really hard time with Katakana though, I never fully memorized it.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you going to Japan soon? (Just curious as I leave in a week)
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I learned hiragana and katakana Earendil's way. We used our teacher's book ( Adventures in Japanese by Hiromi Peterson) and each character came with an illustration. For example, "NU" (ぬ) was a new bicycle. And katakana no "NE" (ネ) was a nest. Then the same thing was done with kanji. It's a good book and I highly recommend it. It's better than any other Japanese textbook I've seen.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using Remembering the Kana. It's really fun and effective. And yeah, it uses mental images to help you remember the kana. It works!
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seven
Member # 5367

- posted      Profile for seven           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you going for this summer, or for a year? I ask because I took a six week program in Japan last summer.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, just practice on flashcards every chance you get. That's the only way its going to become second nature for you. Its very possible to learn them in a week or less if you're looking at flashcards in all the little bits of time you have during the day.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife is Japanese and taught Japanese at a Highschool. The book she used (and still uses for private tutoring) is A Guide to learning hiragana and katagana. It is a very handy book with good explanations. It teaches through words that build on each other, it teaches stroke order, and it is set up so you can photocopy pages and practice writing it.

I spent some time on it and learned both. It came very easy and was fun to do. I then got busy and stopped trying to learn Japanese--so I have forgotten.

I think if I would of continued with it and followed up this book with flash cards, it would have stuck. I did not use my wife to practice and I have never spent extended periods of time in Japan.

The book is awsome.

EDIT: Here is a good web page.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I'm going for the summer. It's an IES six week program in Tokyo. I'm there from June 10th until July 23rd.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll try and take it into account as much as I can.

ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally found it easiest to just use flash cards for small sections at a time, much like learning lines for a play. a, i, u, e, o; ka, ki, ku, ke, ko; et cetera, and then taking the small bits that I knew and shuffling them up and making sure I knew that little bit. Also, I found it easy to remember that the ticks take a voiceless consonant and make it voiced, so I didn't have to bother memorising what they were. My prof compared them to pictures of things, but for some reason that confused me more than anything. However works best for you, I do hope it works well.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ReikoDemosthenes:
I personally found it easiest to just use flash cards for small sections at a time, much like learning lines for a play. a, i, u, e, o; ka, ki, ku, ke, ko; et cetera, and then taking the small bits that I knew and shuffling them up and making sure I knew that little bit.

A very good strategy.

If you have the standard "grid" of those characters you'll notice a pattern of "a, i, u, e, o" down each column. Try going from right to left, and getting down each column until you reach the other side.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I lucked out and got some katakana practice today. I've been following this Japanese game (Mother 3, Mother 2 was Earthbound for the SNES for anyone who doesn't know) for quite some time. Since they announced the release date of 4/20, they've been releasing a little information each week (every Monday night around 8PM).

Today's little bit of information had katakana in it. They were showing 3 of the characters in the game, and it gave their names in katakana. I sat staring at them, tempted to just jump to a forum to get a translation. Finally I recognized some of the characters. I wrote out a rough translation of what I thought the names were. I then went to the forum and checked. Sure enough, my translations were right on. I was quite happy about this. Maybe it makes me a nerd though. [Razz]

Earendil18
Member # 3180

Mother 2 rocked, and I'm glad they're FINALLY releasing a Mother 3. I'm going to look for the news/tidbits now. Where is the site?(scamper google scamper)
pfresh85
Member # 8085

The Mother 3 site where they are releasing pieces of information each week is off of Itoi's (the creator of the Mother series) main site. Here's the link. If you come to the forums on starmen.net, we're having a large discussion about the various bits and pieces. It's interesting stuff.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
About.com has resources to help you learn as well as links to other sites.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! I totally forgot! I have a game called Slime Forest I could send you, if you wish. It covers hiragana and katakana, although it adds in a few characters that I'm fairly sure I can safely say you will never see. It also does the meanings of a number of kanji. Drop me a note if you are interested; the contact info is in my profile.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

The game sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I'd have the hardware to play it.
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

It's an old game. It could probably run on a 386 and for sure on a 486.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Ah, okay. If it's older, my Windows PC should be able to handle it.
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

Sent. Here's hoping it helps you!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.