FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Squid Martigan Experience (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Squid Martigan Experience
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
What method do you use to cook bacon?

For a saturday, early-afternoon breakfast, I typically make bacon in my cast iron skillet. To make sure it is evenly cooked, I either constantly apply pressure with the spatula, or I use a bacon press. This is my favourite kind of bacon, greasy, krispy but slightly chewy- delicious.

If time is of the essense, I usually bust out a cookie sheet (covered in aluminium foil) and either a roasting rack or a cooling rack. I then put the oven on a 500˚ broil, slap the bacon on the rack and put it in the oven. This cooks the bacon really fast and evenly. It's not bad and much better than microwave bacon (which I use when I'm being lazy).

For all the kosher folk, how do you cook your mutton? [Razz]

[ April 13, 2006, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Primal Curve ]

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I boil it in my oatmeal. [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
you can cook bacon in the oven? crazy.

i love using the left over bacon greese to cook my eggs. mm mm unhealthy.

also, i have an Egg and Muffin toaster. it is amazing, it cooks bacon and eggs and toasts bread all at the same time. look it up, its amazing.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:

*snort* Exactly the same way I cook bacon: not at all.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I only eat beef or turkey bacon. Doesn't cook as well as the pork bacon (doesn't have enough fat to cook like that) but I like it. Do it pretty much the same as you do with your cast iron, but probably on lower heat otherwise it sticks really bad.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

You can blame Miracle Max for my bacon/mutton association.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd never seen bacon cooked in the oven until recently, either. I always thought it had to spatter everywhere and make you hop around the kitchen.

Aren't little red burn dots on your forearms a sign of a good cook?

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I always thought it had to spatter everywhere and make you hop around the kitchen.

If it doesn't cause pain, is it really bacon?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly!
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

It's like removing the thorns from a rose.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

*snort* Exactly the same way I cook bacon: not at all.
You eat your mutton and bacon raw? [Eek!]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't ever cooked bacon because pigmeat is gross (it has nothing to do with my religion, I swear!)... but I recently discovered a sandwich (at Cafe Koko in Greenfield, MA) which makes bacon essential:

sourdough bread
freshly-made pesto, spread on like mayo
avocado
tomato
sprouts
bacon!

So thank you for this thread, PC, because now I know how to cook bacon so I can make this sandwich myself.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
oooh, that sounds like a BALT. i love BALTs. with lots and lots of mayo.

(BALT = bacon, avocado, lettuce, tomato)

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I usually do it in the oven. It's so easy to clean up.

Also, call me dense, but I just realized why Miracle Max would be eating mutton instead of bacon.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Just be careful with the broiler method, martha. If you don't watch it, it'll burn the bacon in a hurry!

That's one of the nice parts about bacon and similarly-prepared meats. They cook really, really fast under high heat.

If you're making it in the skillet, I highly recommend adding some freshly-cracked black pepper. It's delicious.

prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked in the kitchen at a country club I had to make 40-50 pounds of bacon every morning. I used the oven method, since obviously that was the only fast way to do that much. I've been a fan of the oven method ever since. Mmmmmm...Bacon.

I just read an advertisement for a meal that is french fries covered in cheese and bacon covered in a philly cheesesteak. All this food thought is making me hungry.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Oh, in addition, when I cook bacon in the skillet, I don't use really high heat. Because bacon is a mixture of muscle and fat, it tends to curl (hence the need for a bacon press). I've found that too high of head will cause the bacon to curl too quickly and it's much harder to cook evenly. So, cut the heat back a bit (between Medium and Medium-High, depending upon your stove) and you should be okay.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I haven't ever cooked bacon because pigmeat is gross
Pigmeat is the most magical of all meats. :drool:
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
American bacon is weird. What's with the cooking it until it's dry and brittle? I can't understand why anyone would want their bacon to be crunchy.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I can't understand why anyone would want their bacon to be soggy.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Why would I want a deep-fried Mars bar?
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
If I cook bacon (which is a big if while I'm at college), I do it in the microwave. Put the bacon between two paper towels on a plate and let it cook away. This is just because I'm lazy. If I had the time (and wanted to put forth the effort), I'd cook it on the stove in a pan. I usually only do that though if I'm making a big breakfast for many people (like making biscuits from scratch, cooking bacon and sausage, etc.).
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Doing a bit of research on British bacon, I've discovered that some people like it soggy and others like it crispy, it's just kind of hard to get it crispy. So, I guess it's not just us crazy Americans that like our bacon crispy.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Why would I want a deep-fried Mars bar?

I can't figure out if this is a rhetorical or a trick question.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Either way, it was not directed at you.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

[Frown]
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I am of the not burnt to a crisp style of bacon consuming people. I like to be able to taste the meat not just the char.

quote:
American bacon is weird. What's with the cooking it until it's dry and brittle? I can't understand why anyone would want their bacon to be crunchy.
Exactly.

It's not soggy, it's all juicy and YUM.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I prefer my bacon to be stiff, but not burnt to a crisp. Cooked too long, it's burnt and tastes bad. Cooked too little, it is soggy and not appealing. You've got to do it just right though. This is easier to do on a stove top than in a microwave though.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
[Frown]

I can't decide if this makes me want to give you a hug or a swift kick in the mouth.
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bacon, super-crispy. Almost burned. Cremated
--Dale Cooper, Twin Peaks, ordering bacon.
Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I cook my bacon in the microwave.

I'm much too adept at starting fires while frying things.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Miracle Max liked his mutton nice and lean. I like my bacon crispy, but with a little chewiness to it. He probably wouldn't think that was "perky."
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the best omelets in the world is served at a greasehole in Butte, MT. The bacon and cheese (my personal favorite) consists of about a half pound of thick sliced bacon cut into thin strips, width-wise. The bacon is dropped into the deep fryer and fried, then dumped on the grill, where the eggs mixture is poured over it. Cheese comes last (but not least). This is hands down the most efficient way to make an omelet that I've ever seen and has the side-effect of being unfreakingbelievable. There's no wasted motion, and each part takes the same time it takes to prep the next step.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Deep-fried bacon.

Brilliant!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Bacon in cold skillet, laid flat in one layer. Cold skillet to stove. Turn on heat to about medium, medium-low. Leave alone. When bacon begins to sizzle, leave alone. When bacon accumulates lots of melted-off fat and begins to bubble, remove from heat, drain off fat, and turn. Return to heat and cook until done, draining fat again if necessary. Drain on paper towels and eat.

This results in perfect-tasting, flat, crispy strips of bacon-- perfect for a BAM, bacon, avocado, and mayo on toasted sourdough or honey-wheat, with optional sprouts.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly, I'm gonna have to go to the store and purchase some bacon.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought some bacon at my daughter's request this weekend and cooked some for the girls' breakfast this morning. In a non-stick skillet, cooked till crisp but not burned. Then I poured off the grease and cooked the eggs in the same pan. My girls were shocked and happy that I actually cooked for them at 5:40 am.

I have a wonderful recipe for broccoli salad that has bacon in it, but my two youngest, who are the only ones with me at this time, don't like it. I also like to use bacon in baked beans. Corn bread baked in a little bit of bacon drippings is to die for too.

I suppose it's no wonder I struggle with my weight. <sigh>

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I think I may have to go buy some bacon as well. This thred is making me hungry for breakfast foods (which is saying something since I'm not usually a breakfast sort of guy).
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
a greasehole in Butte
[ROFL]

/twelve.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried the broiling method for turkey-bacon turkey burgers tonight. With Turkey Bacon, I didn't notice a difference between frying and broiling. That's my new cooking method.
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to cook bacon crispy but not burnt. I start it out in a skillet on medium high heat, then as soon as it shrinks and a pool of grease forms in the bottom of the pan, I turn it way down low and let it gently foam itself done, turning it over with a fork from time to time to keep it from burning. When it gets done (or almost done) foaming, I put it on paper towels to dry. This seems consistently to produce very crispy bacon that's not burnt. It's not terribly fast, but since I'm also making biscuits from scratch, which bake for 20 minutes, I just put the bacon on first and I'm not in any hurry. When the biscuits come out of the oven, it's time to start cooking the eggs while someone else butters the biscuits. [Smile]

I don't eat bacon anymore, since I'm vegetarian, but that's how I cook it for meat-eating friends. I love making breakfast!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

[Eek!] How can you cook bacon and not eat it?

You're INHUMAN!

-pH

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Note--Never--never--never

cook bacon in the nude.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen that ad from England for the "less splatter" bacon where the family of nudists are camping and cooking bacon?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
kq: I haven't seen that, but it sure sounds funny!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss bacon. [Frown]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I cook for myself only.

Bacon is bought pre-cooked and microwaved for 5-10 seconds per slice. I use a plate and some papertowels for the grease.

I indulge myself when cooking other things. Bacon needs to be simple at this point. [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I use regular bacon, in the microwave.

If done properly it tastes great and doesn't curl much. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. My mom usually gets the pre-cooked microwaveable stuff that Tstorm mentioned. It's very convenient, though not as tasty.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.