FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This article from The Onion just cracked me up

Author Topic: This article from The Onion just cracked me up
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Study: High Times Not a Gateway Magazine to Harder Reading
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Love the photo caption: "High Times is not a catalyst for more serious book use."
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing with The Onion is that the article titles are usually much funnier than the actual article text.

edit: This article from fark.com made me laugh out loud:

China to introduce tax on chopsticks. Tom Hanks and his stupid huge piano to protest the ruling. linky

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
The thing with The Onion is that the article titles are usually much funnier than the actual article text.

I don't think that was the case with this article. I thought this article was quite clever and nuanced in its barbs.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about Onion titles.

I'm sad that they moved the one-liners from the front page. Those were often the best part.

Two that I remember:

"Houseplant dead because of you."
"Drink lid declares man a loser."

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
password
Member # 9105

- posted      Profile for password           Edit/Delete Post 
"Kid Rock Starves, Napster Blamed." is an all-time great.

The moon landing in "Our Dumb Century" is pretty good, too.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
"South postpones rising yet another year."
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
"The study found some evidence that long-term High Times exposure could put the peruser at increased risk for Maxim abuse. " [ROFL]
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
my favorite all time Onion title: "Area Bass Player Recieves Felatio"
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That was funny. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

fark.com --
Viewers prefer reruns of old sitcoms rather than new shows such as "Charlie Sheen Cracks a Smirk" and "Everybody Loves a Fat Guy With a Hot Wife"

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
There's No Way I'm Saving That Guy
By Jesus Christ

quote:
Find a new Messianic redeemer, Gus F&#khead Feigert, because I'm not taking your shit anymore. Ask the Holy Ghost for help next time, or maybe try intercessionary prayer to My mom. Maybe she'll listen to you. But not Me.

Yeah, I know I'm supposed to forgive everybody, and all can find refuge in Me blah blah blah. Fine. Fair enough. But not that prick. No f'ing way.

So, anybody know this guy?

Ah, The Onion cracks me up.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Carolina Residents Confused, Terrified As Victorious Hurricane Players Riot In Streets

quote:
"We couldn't believe what was happening," said Sam Weber, owner of Playmakers, a Raleigh sports bar. "I still don't understand it. We had a decent crowd here to watch the 1982 North Carolina vs. Georgetown NCAA Championship game on ESPN Classic when out of nowhere a lamppost comes crashing through the front window. Then these huge pasty white guys, all wearing, like, matching sweaters, run in screaming like madmen and holding this giant planter over their heads, which they demanded I fill with beer. They invited all my customers to join them, but we were too shocked, terrified and disoriented to even move, so the gang got angry and stole four of my big-screen televisions."

"They weren't from around here, I'll tell you that much," Weber added. "When the police arrived, no one could remember having seen a single one of them before."

quote:
Sherwood suffered a mild concussion as well as facial lacerations after being forced to drink warm champagne out of "some type of weird birdbath."
Maybe only hockey fans will find this one funny. [Smile]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
My all-time favorite:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28151

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my favorite Onion article:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/40984

(warning - language)

Title is "Guy in Philosophy Class Needs to STFU"

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Bishop Takes Queen
-see Clergy, P.34

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
kmbboots, I love the caption under the picture in that article. "God"

Oh The Onion, how you amuse me.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite:
I Wish I Were Hungry

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
My Favorite:

"FBI discovers that for the last 50 years they have been using black colored highlighters"

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought I'd add this here instead of making a new topic: Ten Percent Tip Teaches Waitress Valuable Lesson.

[ROFL]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
'book junkies' who rummage through street bargain bins for a fix,"
quote:
"Our study subjects were in no apparent danger of a literary overdose,"
quote:
"We're kidding ourselves if we don't believe heavy book use is a major problem," Walters said. "We've all heard horror stories of young people not being able to put down Gravity's Rainbow. Thanks to book kingpins like Barnes & Noble, more and more Americans—even kids—are gaining wider access to stronger, more potent reading material. And once they've read a gateway publication like High Times, they're going to read whatever they want."

Added Walters: "It's sad but true: In America, you can find almost anything to read if you want it bad enough."

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm curious, Is hatrack membership a gateway to hard core literary addition or Is heavy book use a gateway to hatrack addiction?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Belle, That question was multiple choice not true or false.
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
No, hatrack is a gateway to obsessive posting.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
This article did not crack me up, however:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/54214

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of the funniest ones I've read in recent memory:

Ozzie Guillen Fined $10,000 For What He Just Thought

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Guillen's thoughts upon learning of his punishment earned him an additional $5,000 fine and a three-game suspension.
[ROFL]
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Belle, That question was multiple choice not true or false.

I got in trouble once for explaining to my second grade teacher that true and false questions really were multiple choice.

I'm sure this surprises no one.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Frito-Lay Angrily Introduces Line of Healthy Snacks
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.