FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help me, Hatrack! What's new and hot?

Author Topic: Help me, Hatrack! What's new and hot?
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Here I am filling out Xerxes' baby book. Lately these darn things ask for current events and pop culture references. The sad thing is, I'm out of touch with pop culture!

Help me out, O great and wise Hatrack! Could you give me some possibilities on the following?

Popular music groups

Popular songs

Famous actors and actresses

Current sports figures

Popular movies

Best-sellers

Thanks a bunch! I think I've got the other categories OK, but I was drawing blanks with all these. Xerxes and I appreciate it! [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know much about the others, but I could touch up on some sports figures
----

Tennis:
Roger Federer (Switzerland) - Considered by some to be the best player .. EVER . His record last year was like 75-3. His record in Grand Slam finals is 5-0 (or 6-0 I can't remember)

NBA:
Two rising stars are Dwyane Wade (24 years old on the Miami Heat) and Lebron James (21 years on on the Cleveland Cavaliers) both having phenomenal seasons in only their 3rd year in the NBA. (Wade is better [Smile] )Kobe Bryant scored 81 points in 1 game earlier in the year.

MLB:
Dont watch much baseball, I just know that Johnny Damon, a star of the Boston Red Sox signed with their biggest rival the New York Yankees.

College Basketball:
JJ Redick (Duke) and Adam Morrison (Gonzaga) are considered to be the best college players around. They were also selected to be on the US Olympic team.

NFL:
Terrel Owens known for his selfishness recently got traded to the Dallas Cowboys after ruining the season of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Thats all I can think of atm.

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, if anyone wants to do the same for two years ago-- plus what clothes were in fashion, ans some world leaders-- I never got around to that for Emma's baby book... [Blushing]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm hot but I don't think I'm that new around here.
Just kidding.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
What the crap Kaio? What about the NHL?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Judging from Hatrack, things that are currently in vogue include The Princess Bride, Sesame Street, Ender's Game, and American Idol.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*dies laughing*

*comes back to haunt Tante*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Judging from Hatrack, things that are currently in vogue include The Princess Bride, Sesame Street, Ender's Game, and American Idol.

Judging from some people's post counts....
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Well, I at least American Idol works for mainstream America. ^_^

Kaioshin: Thanks so much! The sports arena is the one I am least knowledgable in. Neither Porter nor I follow sports at all. And for all we know, this son of ours will be a sports nut and really appreciate the info.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

You do realize that NHL is hockey, right? [Wink]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

If nothing else, can anyone help me with music artists and popular songs? Pretty please? [Smile]
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
I take popular to mean mainstream pop, so here's some stuff I hear all the time on the radio:

Sean Paul: Temperature
Mariah Carey: Don't Forget About Us
Fallout Boy: Dance, Dance
James Blunt: You're Beautiful
Beyonce: Check On It
Natasha Beddingfield: Unwritten
Ne-Yo: So Sick
Cascada: Every Time We Touch
Nelly Featuring Paul Wall, Ali & Gipp: Grillz
Eminem Featuring Nate Dogg: Shake That
The All-American Rejects: Dirty Little Secret
The Pussycat Dolls: Stickwitu

That's pretty much the lineup around here. Hope that helps. [Smile]

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
The actors and actresses that stand out most for me right now:

George Clooney
Ralph Fiennes
Heath Ledger
Jake Gyllenhaal
Reese Witherspoon
Kiera Knightley
Rachel McAdams
Naomi Watts

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, I looked at the little girl I babysit's babybook. (she turned two last week) and they haven't filled it out much either, but it was my senior year so I should be able to think. Michael Phelps broke the olympic swimming medal record, Lord of the Rings won best picture at the oscars, UConn won the NCAA basketball. Ugg boots, beachy looks, and linen were in in 2004.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Thanks so much! That should be enough to get us through. If anyone has more, though, feel free to contribute.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got Billboard listings for popular music. [Wink]

December-February, Hot 100 Tracks (rated by airplay, sales, and downloads):

Nelly - "Grillz"
Beyonce feat. Slim Thug - "Check On It"
Chris Brown - "Run It!"
Mariah Carey - "Don't Forget About Us"
Kanye West - "Gold Digger"
James Blunt - "You're Beautiful"
D4L - "Laffy Taffy"
Mary J. Blige - "Be Without You"
Black Eyed Peas - "My Humps"
Nickelback - "Photograph"
Eminem - "Shake That"

I can keep going indefinitely...I love this Billborad search feature. I can also search by peak date, if you want a more narrow time frame. *bounces*

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Someone give me something to search for. I love this thing.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by kaioshin00:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

You do realize that NHL is hockey, right? [Wink]
*Offended on the behalf of all Canadians and Southeast Michigan*
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
With the exception of the Kanye, all those songs suck. And the Kanye is plaaaaaaayed out.

Please, beverly, do not let the words 'Paris Hilton' appear anywhere in the baby book. That's all I ask.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

JT, lower on the chart there are songs that I like a lot more and that aren't...uh...the other ones.

#27 Gorillaz - "Feel Good, Inc."
#57 System of a Down - "Hypnotize"
#72 Rob Thomas - "Ever the Same" (boy's gonna get dropped [Frown] , I bet)
#75 Avenged Sevenfold - "Bat Country"
#90 Nine Inch Nails - "Only"
#95 Disturbed - "Stricken"

There are more...Coldplay, My Chemical Romance, Foo Fighters, Korn, Death Cab for Cutie, Goo Goo Dolls...all of them had tracks that peaked in the top 100 between December 2005 and February 2006.

-pH

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, that's better. I can't think of any time in the last 60 years where the Billboard Top 100 was comprised of worse music than it has been the last 5 years or so.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
Please, beverly, do not let the words 'Paris Hilton' appear anywhere in the baby book. That's all I ask.
:heh:

All too happy to oblige.

Any suggestions on popular movies or bestsellers?

pH
Member # 1350

It depends on which charts you're looking at and how you're reading them.

The modern rock charts are pretty awesome and, for this period, include Depeche Mode.

Going back ten years, the top 100 tracks (of all genres) include:
Whitney Houston - "Exhale"
Everthing But the Girl - "Missing"
Mary J. Blige - "Not Gon' Cry"
Boyz II Men, LL Cool J - "Hey Lover"
Mariah Carey - "Fantasy"
Joan Osborne - "One of Us"
The Tony Rich Project - "Nobody Knows"
TLC - "Diggin' on You"
Deep Blue Something - "Breakfast at Tiffany's"
Goo Goo Dolls - "Name"

That's the thing. I don't think that music as a whole is getting worse. I think that when people look at the popular tracks today vs. in the past, they tend to only think of what was popular in a particular genre in the past. I mean, Kriss Kross? Backstreet Boys? R. Kelly? Coolio? Who the hell is All-4-One?

-pH

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I like those a lot better than these current ones.

Kriss Kross was the jam.

And, as for your last question, "I swear, by the moon and the stars and the sky . . ."

JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, Capote, Brokeback Mountain....
Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Shani Davis winning being the first african-american to win gold in the winter olympics.

Steelers won the Super Bowl in a controversial game against the Seahawks.

pH
Member # 1350

Of course you like them better; they peaked when you were, what, sixteen? You probably associate them with fun memories or something. [Razz]

-pH

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Actually, I think I was the only one of my friends who liked them then.
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
There's an online site called Facebook, which is basically a social network for college students. On it, among other things, you can list your favorite artists, books, and movies - and then Facebook does a count of the most popular things right now based on that.

Music: DMB, Jack Johnson, Coldplay, The Beatles, Green Day, Led Zeppelin, The Killers, Incubus, Sublime, Fall Out Boy

Movies: The Notebook, Wedding Crashers, Old School, Anchorman, Fight Club, Boondock Saints, Napoleon Dynamite, Lord of the Rings, Garden State, Office Space

Television: Family Guy, Grey's Anatomy, Friends, The OC, Simpsons, Desperate Housewives, CSI, Lost, Sex and the City, Seinfeld

Books: The Da Venci Code, Harry Potter, The Bible, Catcher in the Rye, Angels and Demons, The Great Gatsby, To Kill a Mockingbird, 1984, Lord of the Rings, Pride and Prejudice

Not all of those are new, of course, but that's what's hot among the college set. [Smile]

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Thanks, Jhai! I am looking primarily for new stuff. And you've provided some good stuff here.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I think those Facebook lists completely summarize the reasons why I refuse to join sites like that (and MySpace, whatever that actually is).
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Actually, I think I was the only one of my friends who liked them then.

Doesn't mean you don't still have good memories associaated with them.

I'm probably the only one of my friends who liked those Blessed Union of Souls singles. [Razz]

-pH

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

El JT -

Two things:

1. All 4 One stole that from John Michael Montgomery! And their other real hit on that same CD, was a remake of an old R&B hit too. Though I do love R&B from that time frame. Boyz II Men, All 4 One, Shai, etc. Now THAT was R&B! I also love country from that time period, and not the pop country crap that's all over the place now. That list of the top songs from a decade ago brought me back (to a time when I was 11, but still, good music!)

2. Shani Davis isn't the first African American to win a gold medal, Vonetta Flowers is. Shani is just the first to win an individual gold medal.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! I was going to ask if you wanted to add Brokeback Mountain to your baby book. Then there is the Torino Olympics. The World of Warcraft meme penetrated my media isolation zone from several directions a few weeks ago.

Um, also people excited for there to be a draft so they can dodge it?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sudoku! Apparently a lot of people are into it.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

In looking through my baby book, which had some of the same categories, I noticed that my parents left a lot of them blank (of course, they left a lot of the book blank, but that's beside the point). I think for me, I'd rather have it blank than filled in with pop culture stuff that my parents didn't really care about. I mean, they filled in the movie category, (Spaceballs) but that's in their personal opinion as opposed to the most popular stuff in the nation. I think that's more meaningful... I could always go online and look up the highest grossing movie in 1987, but I think it's more interesting to see what my parents' favorite movie was.

just my $0.02

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw this ad for Time magazine covers and thought it might be an interesting addition to a baby book. Similarly, one can obtain copies of eg the NewYorkTimes to match birthdates.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
1. All 4 One stole that from John Michael Montgomery! And their other real hit on that same CD, was a remake of an old R&B hit too. Though I do love R&B from that time frame. Boyz II Men, All 4 One, Shai, etc. Now THAT was R&B! I also love country from that time period, and not the pop country crap that's all over the place now. That list of the top songs from a decade ago brought me back (to a time when I was 11, but still, good music!)
Well, not quite. Both songs came out in about the same timeframe (I actually thought the All 4 One version was first, but billboard said JMM's was on the charts a few months before). But JMM didn't write it, so it's hardly his song. And he himself has a history of covering pop tunes. I liked all the R&B from that period, and a lot of the country too, though. I'm with you on that.

quote:
2. Shani Davis isn't the first African American to win a gold medal, Vonetta Flowers is. Shani is just the first to win an individual gold medal.
I knew it was something like that. Thanks.
xxsockeh
Member # 9186

- posted      Profile for xxsockeh   Email xxsockeh         Edit/Delete Post 
Groups: Pussy Cat Dolls, Black Eyed Peas [Cool]
Singers: Kelly Clarkson, Hilary Duff (unfortunately), Ashlee Simpson
Movies: Memoirs of a Geisha; The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe; King Kong

Sorry, I'm not very hip. [Razz]

Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Dragon, thanks. I think that is good advice. And I have tried to favor adding things to my book that I've actually had experience with and liked. That hasn't held true for everything, but all my answers (so far) are skewed in that direction. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.