FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Can you have an allergic reaction to contacts?

Author Topic: Can you have an allergic reaction to contacts?
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I wear contacts. Well, I used to. I stopped for a while. Now, I'm trying to start wearing them again. However, every time I put them in, I get a sty(I think that's how you spell it) at the exact same place in my left eye. So I wait a week for my eye to feel better, put in my contacts again, and POOF!- another sty. Could this be a reaction to my contacts?

FYI: I wear one Acuvue2 lens and one Acuvue Toric lens(yes, I have astigmatism in one eye). My left eye has always been worse than my right eye. I use Opti-free express "no rub" solution, and my hands are always clean when I handle my contacts.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You can. But I don't know if what you're describing is a reaction or not. You need to get you to the eye doctor.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mean to scare you and this doesn't sound like what happened to me, but you definitely can and it can be serious.

My eyes reacted so poorly to my brand of contacts that they would turn red and sting when I put them in-- I was told it was allergies. Eventually, i ended up getting severe caratis (cornea infection) because it turned out they were aggravating a condition of mine called blepheritis. I'm OK now, but i was told if I wasn't so young when it happened, the consequences would have been really bad.

At any rate, you should see an eye doctor, just in case it isn't anything serious as my initial symptoms all seemed like allergies. I now use Acuvue daily disposables which are light and breathable and you don't have to worry about when to dispose of them (in case your eyes act up).

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Tinros, I'd talk to your doctor and also switch contact solution. The "no rub" all-in-one solutions have preservatives in them, and you can be allergic to those. I can't use "no rub" solution OR any kind of saline with preservates (INCLUDING "sensitive eye" saline). I had to switch to a hydrogen preoxide cleaning system, and I rinse with a preservative-free spray saline.

Also, you can get eye allergies from other things, as well.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
Tinros, make sure you disinfect the lenses each day even when you aren't wearing them, most of the sotrage solutions aren't for longterm storage.

And talk to your doctor.

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
The other thing is, if you ARE allergic to the solution, you'll probably have to throw away that pair of contacts.

For some reason, I can't use a pair of contacts again after it's had anything to do with preservative cleaning solution or saline.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
It is also important that you not wear your contacts again until you see your eye doctor. When you see a reaction and ignore it, it can lead to long term or permanent damage. I'd not risk it by trying to wear them again until the doctor figured out exactly what was going wrong.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
See. Your. Eye. Doctor.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Tinros:
1. See an opthamologist, if you can, not just your regular eye doctor.

2. You can get an allergy to contacts.

3. You can get prescription steroid drops which might help.

4. There is an allergy drop(expensive and prescription) which has helped me, and which you can put in even while your contacts are in.

5. Try taking an allergy pill, like Claritin. It might help your eyes if you have regular hayfever-type allergies, but most importantly:

1.See an opthamologist, if you can, not just your regular eye doctor.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
To me, a person with no medical expertise whatsoever, it sounds like your contacts are contaminated. I agree with the "see your eye doctor" advice.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Als, Tinros, how old are your contacts? When they say to get new ones every six months, they men it.
I have been banned from ever having contacts that are not disposable, because I was so irresponsible and took such bad care of them, and kept the same ones for years instead of months.
I ended upnwith an allergy, and the doc said if I had worn them any longer, I would have developed a permanent allergy to contacts.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.