FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Windows Media Player

Author Topic: Windows Media Player
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else having problems with it? For the last few weeks, the only times it has worked was watching some videos from www.microsoft.com. For everything else, it either asks me to simply close it off, or I get a choice between it being debugged, sending an error report or not doing so. I've tried each one many times on many different videos (I havn't tried with pure audio yet) and they don't seem to have done anything about it. No one in my house knows how to fix it either.

It's version 10. Can anyone help me?

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Check all of your codecs maybe?
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Microsoft is constantly mucking with its code (and inserting the muckups in their security hotpatches) so that any independent browser such as Firefox/Opera/etc hitting Microsoft-designed commercial sites such as MSNBC/etc (recently CNN) receives a slow response and often an initially garbled screen. When Firefox/Opera/etc corrects the code incompatability, Microsoft mucks with their own code shortly thereafter, and an incompatability reappears.

About the only Microsoft-designed site which isn't affected is www.microsoft.com : I suspect mostly to keep Microsoft's public image of competency intact while hiding direct evidence of deliberate sabotage cuz the EuropeanUnion is already hitting Microsoft for monopolistic practices, including investigations of charges that Microsoft is purposefully recoding their software to muck with programs put out by other vendors.

[ April 04, 2006, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
BTW: Shutting down the video window then reclicking will usually load the video program correctly. As will backing out of a page (shutting down the page if it's in a new window) then reclicking the link will usually reload the page properly. May have to repeat the process more than once.
Microsoft's intent is to annoy folks into switching over to InternetExplorer by making browser problems appear to be a problem with the Firefox/Opera/etc programs, not to shut down the Microsoft-designed websites by driving away customers.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
But ... But ... I use InternetExplorer [Frown]
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Microsoft's intent is to annoy folks into switching over to InternetExplorer by making browser problems appear to be a problem with the Firefox/Opera/etc programs, not to shut down the Microsoft-designed websites by driving away customers.
Somehow I doubt this. I know some people on the dev team, and almost all of them are Firefox users. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you using an AMD machine or an Intel? Microsoft has been having a lot of incompatibilities with AMD based on their Data Execution Protection (DEP) procedures, introduced around SP2. DEP can be disabled, but it's a pain.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been having problems accessing hotmail via Opera, but does that mean it's MS or Opera or AMD?

I'd use Firefox, but Opera has little X's on the tabs so I can immediately close them instead of taking the (very important [Roll Eyes] ) seconds to right click and exit, or learn a shortcut.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
My version of Firefox has little Xs on each tab. (And Ctrl-W is the shortcut.)
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
You're worried about speed but refuse to learn a keyboard shortcut?

Pathetic.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
You're worried about speed but refuse to learn a keyboard shortcut?

Pathetic.

Constructive? [Dont Know]

I don't browse the internet with a keyboard, I browse it with a functional GUI and scrolling mouse. I save the keyboard shortcuts for where they're really needed (ie. Adobe anything).

TD, I didn't see those in the newest version what version do you have? Is it somewhere in the options?

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cheiros do ender:
But ... But ... I use InternetExplorer [Frown]

Im sorry.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.