FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Gospel of Judas" surfaces after 1,700 years? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Gospel of Judas" surfaces after 1,700 years?
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
NYTimes story (registration required)

quote:
An early Christian manuscript, including the only known text of what is known as the Gospel of Judas, has surfaced after 1,700 years. The text gives new insights into the relationship of Jesus and the disciple who betrayed him, scholars reported today. In this version, Jesus asked Judas, as a close friend, to sell him out to the authorities, telling Judas he will "exceed" the other disciples by doing so.
Holy cr@p.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Was this article by Jason Blair?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
In stores just in time for seasonal gift-giving!
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
From National Geographic, the organization that tracked down and authenticated the manuscript:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/04/0406_060406_judas.html

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kasie =) Good article!
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom Hanks stars in that movie this summer.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I found that story to be interesting. I struggle with my own faith. I have a hard time reconciling the bible as being divinely written and all of the evidence that early Christians played a huge role in what was included and what was left out. This certainly furthers my curiosity about how much personal opinion went into writing down the Bible and including various sections.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
This is interesting, and it's certainly a significant find, but it's worth noting that there are scads of gospels from the first couple of centuries CE that offer a different take on Christ and Christianity than those that became canon.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Should this be regulated to the "Fanfic" thread then?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
That goes along with a sort of pet theory a friend had, that Satan was not the "great betrayer" but the most trusted of God's angels, even now - he's just "doing the job" God asked him to do, filling a loathsome role because someone had to do it.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Dracula 2000!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"This gospel," he said, "has a completely different understanding of God, the world, Christ, salvation, human existence—not to mention of Judas himself—than came to be embodied in the Christian creeds and canon."
Which is probably why it was regarded as non-canonical. [Smile]

Theresa, here's a quick layman's summary of where the bible came from. There are probably inaccuracies, but it's fairly correct.

The books in the Christian Bible were chosen in a series of Ecumenical Councils in the 4th and early 5th centuries, AD. Some books were not in all canons and these were refered to as "deuterocanonical". Many of these from the Old Testament were not availible in any translation other than the (Greek) Septuagint and these were not part of the Jewish Canon of the time. At the reformation, many, if not all, Protestants also removed these books from their canon as well.

LDS have added scriptures, notably The Book of Mormon, to the Christian Canon, but I'm not sure which Old Testament Canon they use.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The LDS Church uses the King James Version of the Bible as its official Bible.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

That would be the Protestant Canon, then, correct? IOW not the books of Tobit, Sirach, 1 & 2 Maccabees, etc?
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Those books are not in the KJV.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

If you want to see the LDS take on these books, look here:
http://scriptures.lds.org/bda/apcryph

theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, thats not really how I meant my statement to be taken but I am having problems finding a way to clarify it. I don't mean that I am confused as to how the books were chosen. I am aware of the historical aspects. I guess for me it is more an uncertainty about how influenced those events were by a divine source. In other words, is the Bible today what God intended it to be both in what is included and what is not included, or did it wind up that way based on the votes of early religous figures? I don't think this is something that can ever be known. It is a matter of faith. So, I guess I wasn't looking for an explanation. Simply sharing that I felt that new books surfacing is interesting and makes me wonder how much influence the divine had in choosing what was included.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
"You want me to do it... what if I just sit here and ruin your ambition?"

Sorry, off on an ALW tangent...

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Sorry for mis-interpreting your question.

As an aside, I was always fascinated by the way the betrayal was played in the movie "Jesus Christ, Superstar"

pH
Member # 1350

Jim, everyone KNOWS that Judas is still roaming the earth as a vampire. The movie said so. Duh.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

if I see him I'll be sure and tell him to "bite me" then [Razz]
pH
Member # 1350

Oh, you won't see him....until it's too late!

-pH

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Jim, everyone KNOWS that Judas is still roaming the earth as a vampire. The movie said so. Duh.
What movie?
theresa51282
Member # 8037

No problem. I realize that the orignal post did come across that way when I reread it. I just wanted to clarify.
pH
Member # 1350

mph: Why, the cinematic gem that is Dracula 2000, of course!

-pH

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

pH, you obviously forget...

<neo>
I know Kung Fu
</neo>

kung fu
Member # 9320

- posted      Profile for kung fu           Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone says they know me, but if that's true why am I so lonely? [Cry]
Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Cuz you beat people up. Play nice and you'll have a lot more friends.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Kung fu matters not when your opponent is undead, 2000 years old, and capable of using his magical vampiric powers to force people to bend to his will.

Oh, and he can also have sex on the ceiling.

That alone is a sure sign that he can kick your ass.

-pH

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
Oh, and he can also have sex on the ceiling.

Yes, I'm afraid I'm incapable of that without a really tall bunk bed.
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes they were, originally. I have a KJV Apocrypha on my bookshelf [Wink] And if you remember, Joseph Smith's copy of the KJV did too.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Well, Jim, I'm sorry. I was totally planning to jump your bones, but you know, I just need my lovers to be able to have sex on the ceiling. I'm a woman; I have needs!

-pH

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

[Cry]
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
So Jesus really did want to be turned in. like a jaded mandarin, like a jaded faded jaded faded jaded mandarin. Intriguing.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

fyfe, I am totally missing what I presume is a cultural or historical reference...
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Jim: It's from Jesus Christ Superstar.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by Taalcon:
quote:
Yes they were, originally. I have a KJV Apocrypha on my bookshelf [Wink] And if you remember, Joseph Smith's copy of the KJV did too.
The one on your bookshelf -- are those books marked as apocrypha, or as just other books in the bible?
Taalcon
Member # 839

Oh, they're separated apart, meaning they're not incorporated with the other portion of the Old Testament. There are very few English translations that merge them together - such as the Catholic NAB and New Jerusalem Bible. (And at least the NJB , while instegrasted, still includes the old KJV Chapter system for the 'additions' books -like Additions to Esther- Where later chapter numbers are inserted in the middle of the text to restore them to their proper position. Remnants of the proliferation and standardization of the KJV of the text)

But the Apocrypha were part of the original KJV translation, and also were a part of the Revised Standard Version. They are not any more separated than the Old or New Testaments are - a single page with the text, "The Apocrypha - Translated out of the original tongues: and with the former translations diligently compared and revised, by his majesty's special command" - While it's true that nearly all modern publications of the KJV are sans Apocrypha (I don't believe the KJV even holds a Catholic imprimatur), the original publications of it, and many thereafter, included that portion within the binding of 'The Holy Bible: Authorized King James Version'.

Not that it's really worth an argument [Smile]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Jim: It's from Jesus Christ Superstar.

well, there's some egg for my face...

I blame senility...

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I wasn't meaning to argue. Sorry.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
You all realize this is a forgery, right? Give it a couple of months.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

It's not that big a deal to me... gnosticism is very low on my choices of worldviews, so it's not like I'll be revising any beliefs based on this.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, and I thought Jim waas teasing me with his JCS comment immediately after my quoting the same piece.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Thing is, this text has been known to have existed forever. We have a nice denunciation of it by Iraenius in the second century, including a brief summary of its contents. It's neat and nifty to have the actual text of it, but I don't think it's as big a deal as they're making it out to be.

I still don't get all the hubbub about Gospel of Thomas. Apart from that final saying in Thomas (which IMHO seems very out of place in the text), that text is actually very much in line with what I do believe. ho hum.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

No, Goody, I remembered *that* section, which was very powerful and inspired my comment... I just don't remember the "jaded faded Mandarin" line at all...
[Dont Know]

Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm sure it's a forgery. It fits *modern* sensibilities too well. It showed up in a burglary, rather than in a crypt.

There was another hoax I was very interested in: the shroud of Turin. The maker seemed to know things medeivals wouldn't. (That face thing was weird -- a cloth wrapped around a real human face would show a distorted image; but this wasn't distorted.) Later they tested it: sorry, it only dates back to around 1200 I think it was.

Seeing it reminded me of the real suffering Christ endured. But it was still a fake.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Should this be regulated to the "Fanfic" thread then?
You make me laugh.

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
"I still don't get all the hubbub about Gospel of Thomas."

The hubbub is that the Gospel of Thomas is considered by some to be more authentic than the Four Gospels. Not that it is older as is, but that it contains older material all in one handy fragment. And that is important because some argue that it is proof that all that "Jesus as Divine" stuff was later additions and not to be trusted. The teachings themselves are not that special, although with a Gnostic flavor.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"This gospel," he said, "has a completely different understanding of God, the world, Christ, salvation, human existence—not to mention of Judas himself—than came to be embodied in the Christian creeds and canon."
I would be more impressed if it wasn't written by Judas. Anyone can write about how essential and good they are.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:

-pH

I hadn't realized this.

Think of the parallels though... Ender the xenocide ranges the cosmos for 3 thousand years before he finally reveals himself. Judas, the Judas, ranges earth for 2 thousand years before revealing himself... Spooky?

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.