FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Trophy" forcefield system in actual deployment in Iraq!

Author Topic: "Trophy" forcefield system in actual deployment in Iraq!
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
This is SO cool! It is used as a countermeasure for RPG's and other explosives sent through the air at our forces.

I hope it works on a regular basis, but this video footage looks great!

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I can tell, it's not an actual forcefield. I think they're shooting a tiny projectile round -- they refer to it as a top-secret countermeasure, so no details are forthcoming -- to intercept and detonate the explosive at the front of the rocket (which is why radar has to track the RPG the entire way, and why it only works within a given range, and why it can't affect torpedoes or missiles). That said, this sort of active/adaptive defense system has been a long time coming for tanks, and I think reflects the modern use of the tank and/or personnel carrier as a "base" targeted by low-rent guerilla attacks. It's a good idea.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Like a mini sea whiz?
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. It's basically point defense.

-------

That said, it seems odd that we'd TELL people that our top-secret anti-RPG measure requires a radar lock. So perhaps it doesn't, and it's a forcefield (or microwave beam or something) after all; I certainly didn't see any tiny projectile on any of the tapes.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

I thought I saw some projectiles. In the event it is projectile based what is the effects it has on nearby soft targets such as support troops and noncoms?
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Still, forcefield or tank-wiz, it seems very cool.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

looking at it again I did see projectiles, and I was able (even in the simulation) to see something firing on the tank.

Looks like it uses a shotgun area-effect blast to take out the warhead.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
They called it "Trophy?"

Somebody at the Pentagon has been watching too much Homestar.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
very nice.

Hope it can work on two or more targets.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Did you actually see projectiles firing from the REAL footage of tanks, or just the CGI footage? I'm wondering whether they put that into the CGI just to make people like me suspect it's a projectile.

Because TELLING people that we're going to shoot radar-guided projectiles to intercept their rockets is a bad idea.

Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys: "forcefields" do not exist.
Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

While forcefields don't exist, I could easily imagine using a field or beam to excite incoming explosives. My gut feeling is that we don't have the tech for this just yet, but it's also within the realm of the possible.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
They called it "Trophy?"

Somebody at the Pentagon has been watching too much Homestar.

Could just be a translation of what the Israelis call it. It's their toy.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Could just be a translation of what the Israelis call it.

Nope.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Wind Coat=Friggin' Awesome Name

Trophy=Double-You Tee Eff?!

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty.... oh, uh...hi. I don't care what they call it, it's a good idea for a defense system. An' that's all that matters.

Sea-wiz sucks by the way. Especially when they test it. Those units are LOUD. But then so is the replacement system for Sea-wiz. Sea Sparrow. The supply stock room for my division is on the other side of the bulkhead from one of the launchers. We can't hear the ship's announcing system that well in the machinery spaces, so we never heard that they were going to test them. about 20 minutes later...yeah, Micah and I had ears a ringing.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Sounds like a great step forward though. [Big Grin]
calaban
Member # 2516

Wiki says: "The system is designed to have a very small kill zone so the lethality outside that zone is small. People standing next to the vehicle should not be affected by the firing of the TROPHY system."

Hopefully that is an accurate statement. What exactly is "very small"? I don't imagine it would be exciting to provide close support to a vehicle with an automatically targeted shotgun sitting on it's side.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Considering how many of the "close support" people would ahve died if the tank/APV exploded, I would say most of them would prefer this option. [Big Grin]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Calaban, anyone standing that close to a tank that is hit by a LIVE rpg are probably dead or heavily injured anyways. I'd call this an improvement no matter where you are standing.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Calaban, anyone standing that close to a tank that is hit by a LIVE rpg are probably dead or heavily injured anyways. I'd call this an improvement no matter where you are standing.

Uh, wouldn't they be dead anyways? I mean, the system is designed to prematurely detonate the rpg. So, it doesn't hit the tank, but it does hit lots of stuff between the tank and the path of the rocket.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Depends on where you're standing, and how TROPHY shreds the warhead.

If you're standing between the rocket and the tank, I'd imagine you're screwed no matter what. If you're standing behind the tank, I'd imagine you're safer with TROPHY taking it out.

It boils down to this: If you're standing anywhere near a tank hit by an RPG, anywhere in the 360 degree radius, you will either be killed or heavily injured by shrapnel.

If you're standing BEHIND a tank, or maybe even off to the side when TROPHY takes out the warhead, you're probably going to survive, maybe even without injury.

At the very least, in addition to protecting the people IN the tank, it protects more people around than not having it at all.

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Uh, wouldn't they be dead anyways? I mean, the system is designed to prematurely detonate the rpg. So, it doesn't hit the tank, but it does hit lots of stuff between the tank and the path of the rocket.
I would say this depends on which side of the tank you are standing. On the opposite side, you might have some shrapnel wounds, but probably okay, where without this technology you would be dead. The same side, well, it would be a closed casket either way.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.