FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cartoon Network shifting to more live action programming (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cartoon Network shifting to more live action programming
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
The new Veep over at CN has decided that Jim Carrey movies and new, live action sitcoms are just as (if not more) profitable to show on the "Cartoon" Network than animated programs.

In other news, Burger King is shifting its menu to "mostly personal pan pizzas and maybe some tacos".

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
But... it's the cartoon network...
Perhaps they should change it to the cartoon and bad sitcom station.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
W-w-wha'?! If they disrupt my Adult Swim, there will be a reckoning as never before!

And the History Channel has a new futuristic sci-fi special.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Ridiculous. Way to abandon their roots.

If you ask me I don't see the point. TNT, TBS and other networks like it already do exactly that, why would they bother trying to compete with a half dozen other networks for old movies and the like when they already have a virtual monopoly on the cartoon market?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
If they're going to show live action movies, they should at least stick with things that are partially animated (Cool World, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Space Jam, etc) or related to cartoons/comic books (Spiderman, Batman, etc.) I'd even accept the Matrix movies in this, as long as they showed the Animatrix as well.

Otherwise, yeah this seems like a pretty dumb move.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marksiwel
Member # 7708

- posted      Profile for marksiwel           Edit/Delete Post 
MTV, No longer Plays Music.
Comedy Central,Only sometimes funny
Cartoon Network means No Cartoons?
I guess we should have been exepcting it.
What is next? the SciFi Channel going to give up and just play Romanantic Comedies? Battle Star Glattica being replaced by When Harry Met Sally?
TV is getting dumber and dumber

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Exepcting? Romanantic? Glattica? Random, commas?
Eeek.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought he was going for haiku for a second there. Second language, English?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish Cartoon Network was still predominately Looney Toons and Bugs Bunny. That would be something sweet.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still ticked at them for dropping Static Shock.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

lol.

Maybe Cartoon Network will do what Disney and MTV did.

When MTV became primarily about it's stupid feckless shows and not about music, they created MTV2, which plays a hell of a lot of music videos. Then again, it also plays Wondershowzen, which, as far as I'm concerned nulls their status as a television station.

Disney still shows some cartoons, but they aren't really about them anymore, so they started Boomerang, which plays all Disney cartoons from the old and the new.

Maybe we can look forward to a Cartoon Network 2? Or something similar.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
I'm still ticked at them for dropping Static Shock.

Arg! That was one of my favourite shows too! I was so sad when it got cancelled.

Every time I like a show...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, Lyr,

Boomerang IS Cartoon Network's second station.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by Hamson:
I wish Cartoon Network was still predominately Looney Toons and Bugs Bunny. That would be something sweet.

Yes, instead of the bad stuff I watched on the plane.
Constant never ending scat jokes...
[Angst]

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

PC is right, Boomerang is a Cartoon Network spin-off.

Edit: Did you mean "Toon Disney", Lyr?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I really hope this is false, this would be a very bad idea for cartoon network.

Maybe its a late April Fool's day prank...

Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I read this in "Variety" a few days ago.

Prank? It's already happening. CN has been showing Jim Carrey and other live action movies regularly since last fall.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
Dude, Lyr,

Boomerang IS Cartoon Network's second station.

D'oh! I did mean Toon Disney.

Tee hee, nice way for me to undermine my own argument. Although Boomerang is CLASSIC cartoons if I'm not mistaken, correct?

Maybe they'll need a third station (a la MTV Jams, VH1 Soul, MTV Hip Hop) for just anime and newer cartoons.

Regardless I don't understand the point of moving out of a niche market that they dominate to a heavily competitive one that is dominated by others.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

"Classic" in this case meaning cartoons from the 1940s all the way up to the year 2000. [Smile]
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
If you ask me I don't see the point. TNT, TBS and other networks like it already do exactly that, why would they bother trying to compete with a half dozen other networks for old movies and the like when they already have a virtual monopoly on the cartoon market?

Reminds me of how a local radio station ticked me off; they were the ONLY Oldies station in the market -- and that's got to be a valuable advertising demographic, baby boomers & such -- but they changed formats to go into direct competition with some country stations.

Idiocy.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't really see it happening, I mean come on, its Cartoon Network, not Network, I hope that it doesn't happen. They have new shows running, Adult Swim is the only anime programing on, unless you count G4's anime that they show once in a while but thats for digital cable.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I seriously thought I was going crazy the day I switched to CN looking for Foster reruns or some anime and got "Dumb and Dumber." I remember calling in my roommate to flip around on the remote to make sure I wasn't just seeing things.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Err... you mean today?

I would love for them to show more anime but they decide to show a movie like dumb and dumber, ugh.

Shanna
Member # 7900

They've played that movie before. I've actually seen it on CN on two separate occasions.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Other than Adult Swimm who watches Cartoon Network for anything else? All their other programs seem kind of insipid derivatives of Dexter's Labatory and the like.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I always like the Justice League and Teen Titans. In fact, I would go so far as to say that I love Teen Titans, but please don't tell my friends. But really, Adult Swim is the biggest draw.

Ooh ooh, Ed, Edd and Eddie is a good show too. And...whats it called? The Grimm Tales, or something. I like that show.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a cable network called "Boomerang" or something where they moved all the traditional old animated programs they used to have. Biggest draw for me is around midnight when they show a Batman/Superman combo--the ones from the 90s. =)
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Sci Fi already violates their name by showing crap like "Ghost Hunters" *shudder*
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, at least they admit that it's fiction with their name. Which the people on the show don't seem to do.

I laugh my head off every time I catch a glimpse of that show. Even the thing about the scratches on the toddler. Come on, what toddler doesn't get mysterious scratches and bruises?

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Grr, now they are adding Saved by the Bell to adult swim.
Shanna
Member # 7900

That's a joke, right?!
Earl
Member # 9328

- posted      Profile for Earl   Email Earl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm.... I have a friend who is a PA for CN... I'll see if he can dig up some info.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe if they just played good cartoons more often they wouldn't have to resort to this.

...Rather than showing Ed, Edd, n Eddie for four hours a day. And another six or so of Pokemon rip-offs.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I want more old cartoons. Fantastic Four and X-men and all that good stuff. Marathons of them!

And less anime during Adult Swim.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimbo the Clown
Member # 9251

- posted      Profile for Jimbo the Clown   Email Jimbo the Clown         Edit/Delete Post 
This is why I stopped watching TV. The world is ending, my friends. I'd say that started when Firefly was canceled... (May the Fox executives be buried under thousands of pounds of molten slag)
Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Possible good news!

(Third paragraph)

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimbo the Clown
Member # 9251

- posted      Profile for Jimbo the Clown   Email Jimbo the Clown         Edit/Delete Post 
Firefly on the CW... I hope it's true... *hugs Gaal* That's for giving me hope.
Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

As always when it comes to cartoons, I must give out my customary nod to Disney's mid 90s series "Gargoyles." The opening five episode story arc ("awakening")--the second season four parter "City of Stone" and the three parter "Hunter's Moon" that concludes the second season (and the series) represent for me the peak of action/adventure tv animation in the 90s. And David Xanatos was the shiznit, yo. .
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
I want more old cartoons. Fantastic Four and X-men and all that good stuff. Marathons of them!

One thing about that "X-men." It had its moments to be sure and riveted me when I was younger but having come across it recently I must say that its animation is laughably bad.
Jimbo the Clown
Member # 9251

Which X-men? I like the one from the early nineties myself.
pH
Member # 1350

I loved Gargoyles, too! Wasn't that Jonathan Frakes?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo the Clown:
Which X-men? I like the one from the early nineties myself.

--the one from the 90s. It's animation is a bit jarring when you see it today, but I adored it (best wolverine?)

-PH, He did an awesome job as David Xanatos. In fact I seem to keep on finding out that nearly the entire cast of the show was voiced by some fairly recognizable actors. For instance, Eliza's partner Matt Bluestone was voiced by Biff from "Back to the Future" and the Viking from the first episodes (and his great great great great grandchild Wolf of the Pack) are both voiced by that evil guard from The Shawshank Redemption.

How many of these people do you recognize?

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
that evil guard from The Shawshank Redemption.
Please. Clancy Brown should be referred to as Kurgan.

I know his name...

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How many of these people do you recognize?
Wow. Even when I know who the people are, I can't recognize a lot of them from those crappy pictures.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Why was everybody on Gargoyles also in Star Trek? Must be the incestual studio casting policies.

About this CN thing with live action shows thrown in... anything to cast a slightly warmer glow on the drool dripping from my roomate's mouth as his soul is subsumed by Samurai Jack, and the TV makes plaintive little plinking sounds at him.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

quote:
Why was everybody on Gargoyles also in Star Trek? Must be the incestual studio casting policies.
No I think it may have just worked out that way. I think initially there was Mirina Sirtis and Jonathan Frakes as the villains Demona and Xanatos and they ended up convincing their fellow cast members to join in.

There was hope that Patrick Stewart was going to join in too at one point but they couldn't afford him.

If the show would have progressed beyond the second season then undoubtedly Shakespeare as a character would have appeared somehwere--it was the hopes of the fans Stewart would voice him.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
See that's why Gargoyles was actually a pretty good show, alot of interesting characters. Why you get only two seasons of that, and 28 seasons of Law and Order? Who knows. Good things never last in this world.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

Indeed Orin. But unlike "Firefly" that got canned after twelve episodes Gargoyles got about 65 episodes and ends conclusively with the moment the fans were always hoping for. So no bitterness here.

=D

the_Somalian
Member # 6688

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
that evil guard from The Shawshank Redemption.
Please. Clancy Brown should be referred to as Kurgan.

I know his name...

I had to google that.

Never saw Highlander I'm afraid. [Dont Know]

pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
See that's why Gargoyles was actually a pretty good show, alot of interesting characters. Why you get only two seasons of that, and 28 seasons of Law and Order? Who knows. Good things never last in this world.

Excuse me, but don't be dissin' my Law and Order.

I get feisty.

-pH

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.