FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cartoon Network shifting to more live action programming (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cartoon Network shifting to more live action programming
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Well luckily after 8,000 episodes of looking at the stupidest criminals in the known universe, you haven't learned how to hurt anybody and get away with it before breaking down in a tearful confession and revealing that it was all because your father was sleeping with your husband...or something.

I'm not afraid of Law and Order fans, they don't really have any time for outdoor activities, not if they want to catch the latest 19 episodes this week. [Wink]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Psh, I fight dirty.

Besides, the tearful confession only happens all the time in Criminal Intent, which is by far the weakest of the Law and Orders.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's not a hoax, not a dream, not an imaginary story!

Saved By the Bell has become a featured part of CN's Adult Swin line-up. [Eek!]

Meanwhile, viewers in Latin America report that the versions of CN and Boomerang down there have already made a complete shift to being mostly live action channels featuring sitcoms, teen dramas, and 90s live action comedy movies. [Angst]

This is not a good sign. [Wall Bash]

There is a faint sliver of light showing: Cox cable is apparently displeased...they've been getting a lot of complaints from customers over the change in prgramming. They say if they continue to get so many complaints, Cox may step in and take action to get CN to return to its original programming charter...showing CARTOONS, darn it!

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by pH:

Besides, the tearful confession only happens all the time in Criminal Intent, which is by far the weakest of the Law and Orders.

-pH

Well its such a distinguishing lot. Only a program of true quality can compete with 10 years worth of Jerry Orbach wisecracks.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:

Meanwhile, viewers in Latin America report that the versions of CN and Boomerang down there have already made a complete shift to being mostly live action channels featuring sitcoms, teen dramas, and 90s live action comedy movies. [Angst]

So now that we have spike, someone's gotta jump in and fill the mile wide crappiness gap that TNN left behind a few years ago.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are you including Law and Order: SVU, aka, The Sexual Deviant's Happytime? I don't think I've seen an episode yet (maybe half a dozen to a dozen, an admittedly poor sample size) that hasn't involved some sort of incest.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the Saved By The Bell thing was a joke.

Are we serious?

How in the world do they expect for a program so entirely outdated in humor and incongruent in style to hold up to Adult Swim's traditional lineup?

Idiots.

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
SVU is my favorite. And there aren't that many incest episodes. They're actually really varied. But they do generally include sexual assault, since, uh, that's the whole point of that particular unit.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw an ad for Saved by the Bell. I wasn't going to believe it til I saw it but now there's no denying it. I LIKE SbtB, it brings back fond memories growing up. But its not a cartoon so I'm lost on the logic of adding it to channel, much less to Adult Swim.

And I like SVU too. I think the cast and characters are what really make it shine.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
SVU is my favorite. And there aren't that many incest episodes. They're actually really varied. But they do generally include sexual assault, since, uh, that's the whole point of that particular unit.
I do have that kind of luck when I only sporadically watch TV shows. I've only seen half a dozen episodes or less of Spongebob, but I think three of those were the same one that I happened to see on three different occaisions when I stayed home sick. :shrug:

As far as [as] goes, I saw them do a short segment where a viewer wrote in demanding that they
A) recall that they're on the CARTOON NETWORK, and revise their lineup accordingly, or
B) change their name to [crappy 80s preteen sitcom swim]

They said something along the lines of,
"your objections have been duly noted.

[crappy 80s preteen sitcom swim]"

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell me this is a joke. Saved by the Bell on adult swim.

Just wow...

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Update: It's been confirmed that the UK version of CN's spin-off Toonami channel ( action-oriented cartoons aimed largely at a 12-17 year old demographic) has begun showing...Parker Lewis Can't Lose...

...*...

Okay, this has to be stopped. Right now.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Saved By The Bell" in Adult Swim is disturbing. It is neither Adult, nor prone to actually encouraging anyone to swim. Indeed, drowning may be a better alternative to watching it.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I emailed Cartoon Network the above on their website. surprisingly, no responce yet.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if this has been posted or not (going to bed, too tired to read the whole thread again), but Adult Swim has now started displaying [crappy 80s preteen sitcom swim] in the lower right hand area of the screen (the network badge area) when showing Saved by the Bell.

I can't tell if they're defending the decision or mocking it.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I happened to see one of the emails they displayed on the black screen. A writer had written in complaining about the Saved by the Bell addition, and pointed out that they're [adult swim], not [crappy 1980s preteen sitcom network] (not exact words). The writer then said they should either not show Saved by the Bell or change their name.

That's when the label on the bottom changed, and it's gone back and forth from that to [adult swim]. Sometimes while showing SBTB, and sometimes during other shows.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Insiders from the network have come forward with the following revelations:

1) The Disney Channel live action tween sitcoms and made-for-tv movies get ratings CN can only dream of.

2) The current regime at CN, instead of seeking to make better cartoons, has decided the medium is to blame and that "kids just don't watch cartoons anymore".

3) 90s Jim Carrey Movies and 80s Saturday Morning Sitcoms can be shown for almost no cost.

Bleah.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.