FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Solubility of Peeps (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Solubility of Peeps
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Research on the solubility of Peeps.

(Or what scientists do in their spare time)

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That's scary.

Especially because I used to like Peeps, and ate large quantities of them.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
lol
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
We've had discussions about this before. I even made the last line on the page my sig somewhere else for a while, last time.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Huh. Maybe we didn't -- I can't find 'em. [Dont Know]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
The Effect of Peeps on Implanted Memory?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Huh. Maybe we didn't -- I can't find 'em. [Dont Know]

Psst, rivka - it wasn't on this forum. [Wink]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I thought it was here also, but that seems to have been about Peep Jousting.
Ela
Member # 1365

I've always been rather fond of The Fellowship of the Peeps, myself. [Razz]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
That was some funny stuff, Ela. [Big Grin]
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never eaten a peep ever.
I just like to smoosh them through their package because it makes me laugh.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

I don't eat Peeps, either. I am not a big fan of marshmallow anything.
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in touch with my inner child. I lurve peeps. But I stay away from them because they're no good for me.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I ate a lot of Peeps, got a half-hour sugar high, and then crashed and passed out for a few hours having creepy dreams.

Then I woke up and had another Peep and a mocha frappucino.

I'm such a masochist.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

That's sugar overload, pH. [Wink]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
I ate a lot of Peeps, got a half-hour sugar high, and then crashed and passed out for a few hours having creepy dreams.

It's like heroin to you, no?
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man. You know you have too much time on your hands when...

But still, I love peeps. I have a pack of them in my room right now, I'm strange, however, and like to let them get stale and hard before I eat them. I know, crazy right? But that's what makes me happy.

Plus, it means I have peeps about a month after everyone else, so they're all jealous when I tell them that I have them.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Acetone is a not a non-polar liquid. Acetone is in fact, very polar but does not hydrogen bond.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
*doesn't know what Peeps are*

*Checks photos.*

So in the first link they look like purple slug things, and in the second they're yellow bunnies. And they're made of marshmallow?

Would someone like to describe them?

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Peeps are pseudo-marshmallow sugary confections found in bright artificial colors in equally bright packaging around Easter.

They come in packs of six or so, and they're stuck together due to the manufacturing process (which is why in the photos, there's a discolored strip on either side of several of them).

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Peeps

Hope that helps!

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. Thanks! So the slug things were really chicks.
They sound, um... yummy.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

They really are delicious. You should try them, if only to say that you've had them.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evie3217:

Plus, it means I have peeps about a month after everyone else, so they're all jealous when I tell them that I have them.

The only time I'd ever be jealous of you for eating Peeps would be if I were literally starving!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I don't eat Peeps. But I wouldn't mind experimenting on them.
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Originally posted by pH:

It's like heroin to you, no?
I can quit anytime I want!

But I have three whole boxes of them...and four hollow chocolate rabbits.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

We have sickening amounts of Peeps in our house right now. You see, we run the local Cub Scouts program, and this month's theme is "Our Feathered Friends." I thought that half-price after-Easter Peeps would be a perfect treat.

Anyway, I was wondering about this solvent thingy. So they had to use a protein solvent to dissolve peeps. Big deal! Would the same thing happen if you wanted to dissolve, say, eggs? Or a a piece of chicken?

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want more Crunch eggs.
That's what I like... Stupid sweets. Tasting so good.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

One of the boxes of Peeps is gone. My stomach hurts, but I need more! MORE!

-pH

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Peeps research
Peeps FAQ
Peeps links
Peep Dance
more Peeps research

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyway, I was wondering about this solvent thingy. So they had to use a protein solvent to dissolve peeps. Big deal! Would the same thing happen if you wanted to dissolve, say, eggs? Or a a piece of chicken?
The difference, I think, is that peeps are supposed to be marshmallows...which dissolve in water.

And, uh, the eyes don't dissolve in anything.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Marshmallows dissolve in water? Since when?
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the reasoning was that peeps are "sugar" and sugar dissolves in water, ergo peeps should dissolve in water. But that's a little like saying "fiber-optic cable is glass. Glass breaks when dropped, therefore fiber-optic cable breaks when dropped."
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, if we were talking malted milk eggs . . . I wouldn't care if they dissolved in water or not. I'd eat the experiment right up!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. In my "up-most-of-the-night-with-teething-baby" state, I thought the title of this thread was "The Sobriety of Peeps." That would have been an interesting thread.

"Hello, my name is Pink Bunny Peep and I've been sober for 20 minutes now."

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Peeps take all that is good about the marshmellow and destroy it by coating it in ground-plexiglass armor.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I have transitioned from loving sweets to loving the strong, sour, salty, and smoky.

Peeps just don't hack it anymore. I need a bleu-cheese-stuffed olive wrapped in apple-smoked bacon and grilled senseless.

Mmmm. There's some good eats.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
Well, the reasoning was that peeps are "sugar" and sugar dissolves in water, ergo peeps should dissolve in water.
Obviously Peeps are more than just whipped sugar. I'm pretty sure that normal marshmallows have gelatin in them (protein). I wonder if any comparative studies have been done? Regular marshmallows should respond similarly.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
I need a bleu-cheese-stuffed olive wrapped in apple-smoked bacon and grilled senseless.

It's like we're long-lost siblings.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
CT:

You forgot hot. I too love the strong, sour, salty (even briny!) and smoky (and even slightly bitter).

But I haven't give up sweets.

Now the key with Peeps is that they have to be properly cured. In order to do this, one should take a knife and make a slit across the cellophane so that air can circulate around the Peeps.

Prod them every once in awhile. They are fully cured when the sugar they are coated with has formed nice crust and there is a thin chewy layer of marshmellow below the crust. You have to time it just right, though, because you don't want them to become too chewy or utterly stale.

If you need to fast cure them, remove the entire cellophane top of the package.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I think I'm going to try putting the rest of my Peeps in the freezer with the hollow chocolate rabbits. Because hollow chocolate rabbits are tastiest when frozen.

-pH

rivka
Member # 4859

Most regular marshmallows do have gelatin, and thus might respond similarly -- except don't Peeps have a thickened outer layer? I'd think that would make a difference.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
Because hollow chocolate rabbits are tastiest when frozen.

-pH

You must be getting truly inferior chocolate rabbits. One of the beauties of quality chocolate is that its melting point is just below normal human body temperature, so when you put it in your mouth it melts. This results in the smooth creamy texture I associate with good chocolate. Plus melting increases the contact with your tastebuds as well as volatilization of esters within the chocolate. Good chocolate should never be chewed. Its best if you just hold it in your mouth while it melts and dissolves. That way, you get the full flavor.

I've found that when chocolate is too cold, the mouth feel is all wrong and it has very little flavor. But I guess if your dealing with cheap American chocolate, or even worse the chocolate flavored coating compound they often use in hollow rabbits, frozen may hide the fact that they are too sweet, waxy and gritty.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
I need a bleu-cheese-stuffed olive wrapped in apple-smoked bacon and grilled senseless.

[Frown] I want bleu cheese.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Plain Bagel Toasted Medium. Slathering of Butter. A Serious Sprinkling of Bleu Cheese.

P.S. the olive wrapped in bacon isn't grilled senseless -- it's grilled sensuous.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
Because hollow chocolate rabbits are tastiest when frozen.

-pH

You must be getting truly inferior chocolate rabbits. One of the beauties of quality chocolate is that its melting point is just below normal human body temperature, so when you put it in your mouth it melts. This results in the smooth creamy texture I associate with good chocolate. Plus melting increases the contact with your tastebuds as well as volatilization of esters within the chocolate. Good chocolate should never be chewed. Its best if you just hold it in your mouth while it melts and dissolves. That way, you get the full flavor.

I've found that when chocolate is too cold, the mouth feel is all wrong and it has very little flavor. But I guess if your dealing with cheap American chocolate, or even worse the chocolate flavored coating compound they often use in hollow rabbits, frozen may hide the fact that they are too sweet, waxy and gritty.

I like all chocolate better when it's frozen, no matter where it's from. I don't like to let chocolate melt in my mouth too much; it makes me really thirsty.

Besides, when the rabbits are frozen, you have the satisfaction of the hollow crunching sound they make when you first bite into them.

-pH

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
I like all chocolate better when it's frozen, no matter where it's from. I don't like to let chocolate melt in my mouth too much; it makes me really thirsty.
That's chocolate blasphemy!! There is only one correct way to eat chocolate.! By eating it frozen, you have perverted all that is good and true about chocolate consumption. Infidel!! Off with your head!!

No, Perhaps it would be better to burn you at the stake. I suspect that would make you really thirsty.

Or perhaps abandoning you naked on the antactic ice self to freeze would be more suited to your crime.

Better yet, we should drown you in melted chocolate!!

rivka
Member # 4859

Kinky.
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Are Peeps kosher?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.