FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What do you want back? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What do you want back?
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
In the late unlamented thread about Israel-Palestine, I invoked my claim, as a descendent of the Komnenoi dynasty, to Constantinople (there's also a chance I'm related to Basil I's line, but that's kinda iffy). I also make my claim to the throne of Denmark through Geva Knudsson and Harald Gormsson, and I guess I might as well take England (thanks, Ethelred!).

Also, though it doesn't get me anything but it's kinda cool, I'm related to Sir John Hawkwood, the celebrated English condottiere.

And there's also some land in Ohio, Missouri, and Illinois that I want back just on general principle.

So, how about you? Do you have any royal claims? Any land or titles stolen from your ancestors that you want back? Here's your chance to stake your claims!

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that most of my ancestors were more of the serf-types than royal-types. I want compensation for the work they did at unfair wages.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
My ancestors on one side were Japanese generals. I'm sure they were landowners, and given the price of land in Japan these days, I definitely want that back.

My ancestors on the other side were, uh, rice farmers. I don't think they owned anything. [Frown]

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

quote:
I suspect that most of my ancestors were more of the serf-types than royal-types.
Well, yeah, most of mine, too. Most of everybody's. Actually, if you're of European extraction, it's not that hard to have noble ancestors (once you start going back far enough) since they're pretty much all related.

I'm really just looking for an excuse to get Constantinople back. I'm making it my business, Turks! <shakes fist>

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you NEED to get to Constaninople? Do you have a date there?

She'll be waiting in Istanbuhl...

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, Scott.

I'm actually a descendant of Old King Cole (of whom the nursury rhyme speaks). Therefore I demand as my rightful inheritance 1 pipe, 1 bowl, and three fiddles. (You can keep the fiddlers as they are probably not up to perfoming much at this point.)

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, I'm fairly certain that if any lands were lost, my ancestors did their best to fritter them away, and they probably stole them in the first place. Can't really place a claim under those circumstances.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
All the world is mine, because I am a child of God.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I claim the remnants of the Byzantine Empire for myself. I am a descendent of the great Emporer Justinian (you can't prove I'm not!), of greater claim to the throne than your pathetic Comneni usurpers. And don't even get me started on Basil the "Macedonian". Does anyone even care that he wasn't Macedonian? Only me? Barbarians! How many people can you murder on your way up the ladder and still be considered a legitimate claimant?

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the stuff that I want back is from more recent times.

One ancestor of mine, Garrett Hobart was a Vice President (under Mckinley I think) and might have had a shot at becoming President if he hadn't of died of heart failure at the turn of the 19th century. So, I want him back, only, 100 years ago.

I'm related to General George Picket (of the infamous Pickett's Charge at the Battle of Gettysburg (Civil War) by marriage. I'd love to have all the estates in Virginia that the family had before the war was lost and much of the family was forced to flee to Canada in disgrace.

I'm related to British royalty, and though I love the movie King Ralph, they can keep it.

I suppose the biggest claim I'd have is to a ton of land in the Loire Valley in France. My family had acres upon acres there, but much of it was lost in the Revolution. They got some of it back when Napoleon came to power, as my great (so on and so forth great) grandfather served directly under Napoleon in naval engagements and earned his favor. Some of it was chipped away again over the next century and then lost for good in the World Wars, but by that point my family had already left for Canada.

Before the end of the Seven Years War my great (so on and so forth great) grandfather sent much of the family to New France (I wouldn't mind all that land back either, stupid British), and then for a time was a pirate off the Canadian and North American coastal waters. He was later made a privateer for the French, and then served under Napoleon. I might have gotten some of the chronology messed up there.

I want the title back however, so everyone here has to refer to me as the Dread Pirate Lyrhawn.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I want back the carefree days chasing horny toads and climbing trees from my childhood.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I once had a really great pair of sunglasses. One day in high school we were horsing around and they flew off my head in the parking lot to be run over by a bus. I know it was years ago, but I've never found a pair that fit me as well. I'd like them back.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
Insofar as I'm descended from a long line of serfs, lowlifes, thieves, migrant laborers, mercenaries and pirates with no connections to royalty whatsoever...

I just want my youthful optimism back.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm related to louis Riel which explains teh crazy within me, so I claim Alberta and I want the powers of being a prohet like he supposedly was.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
I got nothing.

But, my boyfriend's great-uncle is the Earl of Morton so if there was a way to, um, pass that title along without the 8+ males in his family who stand to inherit the title before him dying, that would be nice.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Hire the Dread Pirate Lyrhawn: buccaneers always need more crew.
Of course, ya'd hafta outbid those who would pay ransom.

[ April 20, 2006, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a tv show. Dread Pirate Lyrhawn goes about stealing back old family treasures long since lost to the ages.

I would totally watch that show. Be like a yuppy man's version of Hundred Lives of Black Jack Savage.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I want back my Bootsie, the stuffed teddy bear that was taken hostage by my first nutty boyfriend.

However, I'm working on mentally letting go and releasing him to his own life in the world. It has been 15 years, after all. [Frown] [I'd be content with knowing some child somewhere was loving him. I don't want to think about what shenanigans that man could've gotten up to with him.]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dante:
I guess I might as well take England (thanks, Ethelred!).

You'll have to fight me for it.

<—also a descendent of Æðelred Unræd

In fact, I think my claim trumps yours simply because I took an Old English class.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was 13, my mother gave me a coral and diamond ring that she received when she was 13 from her mother.

I lost it.

I'd like to have that back.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

quote:
In fact, I think my claim trumps yours simply because I took an Old English class.
And you think I made it through an English minor and an English M.A. without one?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by Dante:
I guess I might as well take England (thanks, Ethelred!).

You'll have to fight me for it.

<—also a descendent of Æðelred Unræd

Trial by combat.

I'll take on the winner.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I have pretty much no claims on anything. No heritage, no land, nothing exciting. All my relatives we can trace were labourers and servants. I'm sure there's a lot that got lost along the way, though. I bet also that my ancestors land was stolen by the Normans and the Vikings and the Romans etc. so I figure I'm owed compensation (emotional, too!) for all that.

Also, I have a suspicious great grandfather who might have been at least minorly wealthy.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take the fortune my grandfather frittered away.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Teshi, pretty much everyone with English roots is descended from English royalty at some point.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I know. But it's no fun unless you can actually name somebody [Smile] .

Besides, I like the fact I have murky unremarkable roots because it means there's no one who's done anything really awesome in the family yet, at least not through any fault of their own, if you know what I mean.

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I want back the house that my grandfather built with his own hands.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it the rock cottage, Zalmoxis?

I want back the crown jewels that my ancestor Cap'n Blood stole a long time ago.

*grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, all of my ancestors were poor Okinawan farmers. I think I'll stick to what I have now, thanks.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I want the beachhouse that my grandfather built back. Stupid Hurrican Andrew and his many successors stole it from my family.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
On my dad's side I am descended from gypsies and peasants. On my mom's side poor Jews living in ghettos. I just claim my little strip of land in Annapolis. My dog however has different family goals. She is in the process of expanding our border into our neighbor's yard.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I want the plot of undeveloped land in Montana that has been in dispute by my in laws for three generations.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Well... it's not for myself, personally, but I'd like to revise things so that Thomas Jefferson wouldn't have been able to steal the election from the true 3rd President of the USA: Aaron Burr.

I'd also like to return the US to its pre-empire status, before Tyrant Abe fiddled with it.

And don't get me started on the Federal Reserve and the income tax...

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I want my youthful physique back. You know, the one that I thought was fat when I was wearing size 6 jeans (sigh).
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What do you want back?
preciousssss
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Well you can't have it. The last post is MINE.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Shan:

It is indeed the rock cottage. I believe my grandfather did everything but the wiring and plumbing.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Zalmoxis, didn't you create a thread about the place at one point?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I want back the carefree days chasing horny toads and climbing trees from my childhood.

I want back the ability to make a childhood-themed joke in this thread before MPH beats me to it!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
I just claim my little strip of land in Annapolis.

Well, I claim the entire state of Maryland (I'll wait on England until after the current claimants have killed each other off - either that or I'll just invade like a good Norman), but I'm perfectly willing to allow you your land as long as you pay rent. Steamed crabs are an acceptable form of payment.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy this silliness enough to post mine:

A tiny fraction of the time I spent working in retail.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like England and Normandy back. It's been almost a millenium. It's about time.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I want my father back, you son of a bitch.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 9153

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip   Email CoriSCapnSkip         Edit/Delete Post 
Please return my grandparents' farm in upstate New York, house, land, and contents. My grandparents themselves, don't send back, I am sure they are much happier where they are.
Posts: 91 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I want my childhood home back. [Frown]

Or, I'll settle for the Isle of Man.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Glenn Arnold wins the thread.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Indeed.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I do want my father back, but I want my home as well.

Then again, my father's ashes were spread on the hill, so he's still there. What was my mother thinking when she sold the house?

[ April 22, 2006, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Glenn Arnold ]

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Glenn, that is a gorgeous house! I'd want it back too.

I want back the rural small farm-townness that my hometown has been steadily replacing with disgusting mass-market suburbia, traffic lights, strip malls, chain stores, and all. My old house (where my parents still live) used to be in the middle of nowhere, but now there are (ugly) subdivisions less than half a mile away. [Cry]

I also want back my parents' good health. And my dog (deceased) and my horses (sold when I went to college).

But in terms of royalty, my family has the same last name as the family of one of the earldoms in Scotland, so I want that back too. The title has been vacant for a few generations, but some guy from New Zealand is currently making a claim as the rightful heir.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh darn it, I want Samara back from Poland. That's the third war I've lost in a row. [Mad]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.