FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Transcendental Meditation

Author Topic: Transcendental Meditation
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I started a psychological study on the effects of TM on the average college student. I did a baseline testing, and have recently completed the initial teaching of TM. It's really interesting. I haven't seen any great effects because of the meditation, but it's at least nice to have a little time of just quiet relaxation. Whenever I meditate it feels like my head is expanding. I feel tingly, and it's a nice contrast to the pressure of the finals that I have coming up. I was just wondering if anyone else had gone through TM, or knew anything about it. From what I've heard, TM is really effective at making you more calm and effective. I'll link anything I find online when I look at it.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Meditation in general is an EXCELLENT practice, and I really wish that I could remember to find time to do it more often. (In general, the most I'm able to manage nowadays is a little Tai Chi or some quiet affirmations on my lunch break. But that's my fault, not the fault of the universe.)
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I started doing TM in 1996, and have been doing it on and off since then. I know exactly what you're talking about in terms of the tingly, head expanding thing.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
The phrase seems a little redundant to me. What's transcendental about? Is there such a thing as 'cendental' meditation, which the trans-cendental version is stronger than?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's supposed to mean to transcend as in to go across or beyond. I think it just means that you go beyond or deeper than the normal thoughts you have on a regular basis, thus transcending into meditation.

I don't know if that made any sense, but it made sense to me, so that's all that I can ask for.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
He's just being a smart ass, Evie--he's not looking for any actual information.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evie3217:
I think it's supposed to mean to transcend as in to go across or beyond. I think it just means that you go beyond or deeper than the normal thoughts you have on a regular basis, thus transcending into meditation.

I don't know if that made any sense, but it made sense to me, so that's all that I can ask for.

Sounds like the brain shifting from beta to alpha waves if that makes any (more) sense.

However, since I only got 3 hours of sleep and have to go to work soon, where can I find out more about TM? [Big Grin]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite book on meditation is Some of the Dharma by Jack Kerouac. It also includes quite a bit of information on TM. If you're ever looking for a good book to use as a beginners guide, that would be my suggestion.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html

This site has been pretty informative.

Can't really tell how "sound" the info is since I have nothing to compare it to.

I'm going to check out a monestary that we have nearish here.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.