FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fan Film -- Lightsaber Duel (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fan Film -- Lightsaber Duel
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's quite well done

Love the ending!

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
So THAT'S what high school would be like if everyone were a Jedi.

Seriously though, that was pretty damned sweet.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That was really impressive.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Ho. Ly. CRAP.

It's so dorky that it actually surpasses dorkiness into being REALLY FRIGGIN COOL.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

This Video linked in the comments thread is actually just as good. Much more sharply executed, although it's very obvious the actors have lots of martial arts training where the teenagers look more like they took fencing classes.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I must be such a nerd, but those videos made my night.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

That last one was pretty cool Eros. Had a Crouching Tiger Hidden Lightsaber feel to it.

Very artistic.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a really good lightsaber video a while back that had been made by a couple of martial artists.

The special effects were kind of scarce beyond the basic lightsaber effects, but the choreography was really well done.

If I can find it again I'll go ahead and post.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
This was my middle school fantasy [Big Grin]
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Who wants to make a lightsaber video with me? We'd be so cool.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Only if you're willing to put in the special effects time, because I'd inevitably end up cutting off my leg over and over...

and over.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. Valley Girl X-Wing Pilot
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

I like the "CHICKS RULE" sticker on her helmet. It's all in the details.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Rofl.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, thank you erosomniac! I saw that vid several years ago, and have been looking for it ever since. I was just about to ask if anyone knew of it, and then I saw your comment. Yay!
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
Both those duels had some good moments, but I kind of liked the first one better. While the kids in both films seemed to have mad skillz (and, just for the sake of being anal, fencing is a martial art), the fighting in the first seemed more utilitarian and less unnecessarily flashy. It was also filmed better, it had some really creative and amusing touches, and it left out the weepy music and the Ken Burns Civil War letter to home scene.

Still, both were quite remarkable for homemade fan-films. Rock on.

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing-- those were wonderfully done.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Baron Samedi:
Both those duels had some good moments, but I kind of liked the first one better. While the kids in both films seemed to have mad skillz (and, just for the sake of being anal, fencing is a martial art), the fighting in the first seemed more utilitarian and less unnecessarily flashy. It was also filmed better, it had some really creative and amusing touches, and it left out the weepy music and the Ken Burns Civil War letter to home scene.

Still, both were quite remarkable for homemade fan-films. Rock on.

To be anal, fencing is not a martial art.

Martial Art (Columbia Encyclopedia, 6th Ed., 2006): various forms of self-defense, usually weaponless, based on techniques developed in ancient China, India, and Tibet.

Fencing doesn't fall under that category, having been developed in Europe and the Middle East.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Eros, that's a fairly narrow, colloquial, and, IMO unrealistic definition, even if it is from an encyclopedia.

That having been said, I liked both films and there was a lot of extraneous flash in both, really... (warning, waxing philosophical ahead... skip the rest unless you are really into martial arts).

I preferred the Chinese one because, well, I study a Chinese style for one. But, while the one was well choreographed and performed and had a neat twist ending, the Chinese guys (I'm calling them that because it was distinctly Wu Shu and not Kendo, not as a comment on the actors/fighters) showed a lot more prowess and, even though it was flashier, gave more credence to the need for good body mechanics in the fight (not to say that the other guys were *bad* at all-- I'm not so much being critical of them as I really dug the Chinese guys).

This might be less important with lightsabers, which apparently cut through anything, in any direction, without effort, but, in a real sword (or even knife) fight, striking properly is the difference between making your opponent say "ow" and making him bleed to death.

The other thing I was gonna say was that there seems to be this idea that two really great fighters would have some kind of epic battle... I think the long battles... the most fun to watch, would be between two evenly matched, moderately skilled fighters. Really effective fighters would dispatch each other quickly. In recorded duels between Myamoto Mushashi and other master swordsmen of his time, it was typically parry, counterattack, other guy falls. I don't think this was just him being that much more skilled, but really more the level of both fighters showing through.

Sorry for rambling... [Smile]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Eros, that's a fairly narrow, colloquial, and, IMO unrealistic definition, even if it is from an encyclopedia.
<shrug> The idea that fencing is a martial art basically suggests that all forms of melee combat are martial arts, which defeats the purpose of the term. A precise (or, if you prefer, narrow) definition is far more useful.

quote:
The other thing I was gonna say was that there seems to be this idea that two really great fighters would have some kind of epic battle... I think the long battles... the most fun to watch, would be between two evenly matched, moderately skilled fighters. Really effective fighters would dispatch each other quickly. In recorded duels between Myamoto Mushashi and other master swordsmen of his time, it was typically parry, counterattack, other guy falls. I don't think this was just him being that much more skilled, but really more the level of both fighters showing through.
Makes sense, given that the entire point of kendo is to dispatch your opponent with one attack.
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
Martial means fighting or war, derived from Mars, the Greek god of war. Any art that codifies fighting styles is a martial art. If you want a more narrow term, feel free to add modifiers like "Asian" to it. But martial arts have been developed all around the world, and if you exclude things like Capoeira, Sambo, freestyle wrestling, boxing, fencing, kickboxing (Thai or American), savate, quarterstaff, and even archery and gunplay, you've got a very insular view of the subject.
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
The idea that fencing is a martial art basically suggests that all forms of melee combat are martial arts, which defeats the purpose of the term.

I'd modify it to say that all systematic study of melee combat is Martial Arts.

Some drunk swinging away at a bar, may not be. [Wink]

but it doesn't really matter as long as everyone knows what the other person means when they say the words.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Some drunk swinging away at a bar, may not be. [Wink]
CLEARLY you have not seen Drunken Master.

quote:
Martial means fighting or war, derived from Mars, the Greek god of war. Any art that codifies fighting styles is a martial art. If you want a more narrow term, feel free to add modifiers like "Asian" to it. But martial arts have been developed all around the world, and if you exclude things like Capoeira, Sambo, freestyle wrestling, boxing, fencing, kickboxing (Thai or American), savate, quarterstaff, and even archery and gunplay, you've got a very insular view of the subject.
Call it whatever you want - it's still just a difference in semantics, and I still find your definition useless.
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Those kids will be like Rich once they get outta college. All the special effects studios will try to get their hands on them. That type of computer animation is hard to do. I was really impressed even if some of the acting was a little sour.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I still find your definition useless.
Your definition is hopelessly limited, making it nearly useless. We can specify geography with an adjective (European, Asian, South American).

Otherwise, we need a whole new word for many (possibly most) of the "things that we would be calling martial arts but aren't because you are for some reason limiting it to a single continent."

And once and for all, will people please stop trying to minimize a distinction by calling it "just" semantics. Semantics aren't "just." They are important. There is a category of thing to which karate, aikido, kendo, wrestling, boxing, savate, fencing, Krav Maga, and many, many others all belong. The important things about them have nothing to do with Asia.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Your definition is hopelessly limited, making it nearly useless. We can specify geography with an adjective (European, Asian, South American).

Otherwise, we need a whole new word for many (possibly most) of the "things that we would be calling martial arts but aren't because you are for some reason limiting it to a single continent."

Words and phrases for these things already exist. We don't need whole new words for anything - just precision of language.

quote:
And once and for all, will people please stop trying to minimize a distinction by calling it "just" semantics. Semantics aren't "just." They are important. There is a category of thing to which karate, aikido, kendo, wrestling, boxing, savate, fencing, Krav Maga, and many, many others all belong. The important things about them have nothing to do with Asia.
The important things about them have nothing to do with what they're called, either.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Words and phrases for these things already exist. We don't need whole new words for anything - just precision of language.
Exactly. So please stop muddling it up.

quote:
The important things about them have nothing to do with what they're called, either.
No, but when someone wants to refer to those things with a single phrase, it would be nice to not have that phrase encumbered with meaningless restrictions.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not getting involved in the argument above, but I thought all of the videos were amazing. I personally liked the one with the teenagers better. It just felt more geeky to me, and that made me happy. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

*Coughs, looks in the direction of the geeks arguing about semantics [Roll Eyes] *
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Sounds like you need a lozenge, Orincoro.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
BEST LIGHTSABER DUELS EVAR!!! George Lucas should be jealous.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Sounds like you need a lozenge, Orincoro.

When you say lozenge, I don't agree that your not using the archaic use of the word:

-----------------------------------------------
Jo-shmoes Ancient Dictionary: lozenge (n) 1. the swift deportation of all people who do not subscribe to the weekly update of Webster's Mega-complete 21st century Dictionary on microdisk.
2. A swift kick in the pants
-------------------------------------------

Given that that is my definition of the word, I take your comment as a grace insult.

*Challenges Dag to a Kirk/Spock style duel to the death, on a sandy plain with a red sky*

Du du du du du DUUUU!!!!! Du du du du du DUUUUUUUU!!!!

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Lirpas and ahn-woons at high noon?

Excellent!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:

Well I think Lucas is much more concerned with dialogue... *coughs violently*
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool [Smile]
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:

Of what? He invented it.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

and Ray Park's Duel of the Fates was better than either of these... except for the ending (which I bet dollars to donuts wasn't his doing). So, of course, Lucas fired him and had the decent but comparatively weak and choppy choreography of II and III instead.
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Good stuff. The chronicles of Pink Five are hilarious, too. "What do you mean, he takes every girl there?!"
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
and Ray Park's Duel of the Fates was better than either of these... except for the ending (which I bet dollars to donuts wasn't his doing). So, of course, Lucas fired him and had the decent but comparatively weak and choppy choreography of II and III instead.

Oh George Lucas, why must you punish success?

Though I should add that I thoroughly enjoyed the Anakin/Obi-wan duel at the end of III.

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

It was better than the Grievous fight; that one kind of let me down. I was all hyped up about him from seeing Clone Wars. Though honestly, the part when Obi-wan and Anakin were fighting while clinging to that huge piece of falling machinery was pretty funny. And then when Obi-wan says, minutes later, "don't try it, Anakin. I have the high ground," I just burst out laughing. After all that, I'm to believe that a foot or two on a stable slope made all the tactical difference in the world?
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Though I should add that I thoroughly enjoyed the Anakin/Obi-wan duel at the end of III.

I did as well... and it's not like I could have done better,either.

But the fight between Darth Maul and the two Jedi in Ep I is far superior, especially on repeated viewings. Don't the endings all suck, though?

The endings on these two homemade films are both far superior to the ends of any of the Ep I-III fight endings.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
don't try it, Anakin. I have the high ground
He was talking about the moral high ground. And having declared that he was taking the high road, he automatically lost the capacity to BE on the high road. And in despair, lopped off Anakin's limbs instead of doing something more useful, like throwing a boulder at him and knocking him out to take him prisoner.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
And in despair, lopped off Anakin's limbs instead of doing something more useful, like throwing a boulder at him and knocking him out to take him prisoner.

or actually, like, killing him or something...
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:

The endings on these two homemade films are both far superior to the ends of any of the Ep I-III fight endings.

Well that's a problem inherent in the jedi-fight concept, isn't it?

After seeing these two guys twirl around in the air touching sabers in all manners imaginable, fighting eachother backwards, and jumping off gangways while swinging sabers around themselves and never getting singed... Its just a tad unbelievable that one of them will eventually actually hurt the other, since they both seem fairly invincible. The way Quigon gets it in the end is just pathetic compared to his skills isn't it? And how does Darth Maul get through a drawn out fight with TWO jedis, and then last 18 seconds against one?

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It's really not that hard to believe at all. Lightsaber fighters aren't invincible. Sometimes a simple mistake, a misstep, a loss of concentration, or just an outwitting can cost them their life in a match where a single mistake can give the enemy the chance to slice off your head.

I honestly don't see it as a problem at all.

Darth Maul can't see the future. Obi-wan came up with a clever move and it worked. Why's that so hard to believe?

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Well, isn't it basically the same move anakin tried on him, except from a much weaker position?

I don't have a problem at all with QUi-Gon's death-- he got smacked in the face and then taken...

Maul's death was just stupid, especially when the World's Greatest Jedi(tm) utterly failed to do the same thing.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Darth Maul can't see the future. Obi-wan came up with a clever move and it worked. Why's that so hard to believe?

I believe I was just trying to offer a little jab at Lucas for making his characters quick enough to fight impossible complex saber battles, only to die by the old "sword lying near the fallen soldier" trick. It really is a weak way to end a great fight.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

quote:
He was talking about the moral high ground. And having declared that he was taking the high road, he automatically lost the capacity to BE on the high road. And in despair, lopped off Anakin's limbs instead of doing something more useful, like throwing a boulder at him and knocking him out to take him prisoner.
Maybe I need to watch the movie again (AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) because I have no idea what you're talking about.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
And in despair, lopped off Anakin's limbs instead of doing something more useful, like throwing a boulder at him and knocking him out to take him prisoner.
Or, you know, walking down the slope, stabbing Anakin through the head, getting back together with Yoda, rounding up the rest of the surviving Jedi, and going back to kick Palpatine's wrinkly butt. Instead of foisting the burden on two 1-day old kids.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I see no one has mentioned the "Yoda-goes-ballistic-and-becoems-a-green-blur" duel.

... Heh-heh.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.