FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I could use some well-wishes/good vibes *update-diagnosis* (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I could use some well-wishes/good vibes *update-diagnosis*
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Normally, threads asking for well-wishes/good vibes aren't about yourself, but this time, I could really use it.

I gave blood for the first time Tuesday morning. I ate a good breakfast, did everything they told me to. About an hour later, after they had pronounced me fine and sent me on my way, I got dizzy and started shaking. They had me lay down, and drink a Pepsi to try to get my blood sugar up. I fainted shortly after, but not for long. After I got home, I lay down, and only got up for dinner, but as soon as I moved, I fainted again. I ended up sleeping for about 15 hours, and woke up exhausted.

Yesterday, I was a little dizzy all day, and shaking a bit, but generally fine. I had a friend over after school, and as we were sitting on my bedroom floor playing cards, I had some sort of a seizure/attack. My arms and face went numb and contorted, then started feeling prickly, like they do after waking up(like when your foot has gone to sleep). I was shaking violently, and I couldn't move voluntarily. I also had a very hard time breathing- I was panting like a dog. My mom gave me some oranges and chocolate, and eventually, I started feeling better.

This morning, I had another, similar attack, but without the loss of muscle control. Arms and face were numb, and I was shaking. So, I came home about 15 minutes ago, and I have an emergency doctor's appointment in about an hour.

I've never been this scared in my life- I've had fainting spells before, but nothing this bad. Please, if you can spare a prayer or a good vibe, I'd really, really appreciate it.

[ March 01, 2008, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Tinros ]

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try to send some good vibes your way. In the mean time call that 800 number they should have given to you to report any problems.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Yowza. Get better.

<vibevibevibe>

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
Tinros, Get some Iron and B-12!

I'm glad you're going to the Dr! This sounds odd! Way out of norm.

Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you've got a doctor's appt, Tinros. Let us know how it goes.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
You will be fine. Not all bodies react predictably to giving blood.

While my well-wishing vibes are pretty spread out already, I shall divert some your way.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I have never heard of that reaction. I will keep a good thought for you. Let us know what happens at the appointment.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you drinking lots of water to help your body more quickly replace the missing fluids? The fainting sounds like a drop in blood pressure (not uncommon after giving blood) because your blood volume is lower. Drink lots.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, how scary! I'm glad you're going to the doctor. Maybe you're anemic?
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
~~~Tinros~~~
Keep us posted.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Prayers headed your way. I know how scary not knowing what's going on can be. I hope the doctor figures it out quickly. (((hugs)))
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd guess you're having grand mal seizures. If so, don't worry too much. They should go away, it'll just pretty much means you shouldn't give blood and should make sure you don't go too long without eating.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Back from the doctor's. He says it's one of two things: Seizure Disorder or anxiety attacks. And seeing as I'm not anxious, he thinks it's seizures. I'm going in to the hospital tomorrow afternoon for an EEG, and I can't drive for a while. THis means: no caffeine tonight, no more than 4-5 hours of sleep tonight, no chocolate, etc. This shtinks.

He also said that while this time it may have been triggered by giving blood, giving blood should be perfectly safe for me. Seeing as it was 24 hours after I gave blood that the actual seizure happened, it wasn't donating-related. There's something deeper there.

As of right now, I'm just very, VERY scared. I don't like hospitals. My best friend, Erin, is doing Reiki for me(energy healing, long-distance), since her entire family does it. That's her way of sending good vibes.

Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone. I'll update again as soon as I hear something.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(((hugs))) It's going to be okay. The good think about knowing what it is is that there's treatment, so let's hope the diagnosis is straightforward and that your body responds well to treatment. (((morehugs)))
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
Hope all of this vibe-wishing helps... =) Feel better.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
((Tinros)) I'm sure this is a scary time, but we're thinking about you here, and wishing and hoping that you'll figure out what this is and that it will all be okay.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
As a certified phlebotomist, I knew this reaction was out of norm. However, I seriouly thought you might have a blood sugar problem. (lesser in seriousness than seizures).

I'm sure you're scared, (as should be expected), but maybe you're catching this early enough to control it in the future.

I believe in positive energy and thought, prayers as a major contributor to healing and healthy living. Keep you're mind clear of negative thinking, remember that you have real and e-friends who are sending nothing but positive love, thoughts and prayers (for those of religious conviction), it's all good in the universe!

Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Tinros)))
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Tinros: Be well. Good luck.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you're getting treatment - I hope the doctors have some good answers for you soon.

Be well. (((Tinros)))

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh sweetie! How scary for you! Good luck with all the tests.

((Tinros))

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck!

Good thoughts your way.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeeks!! Scary indeed. Now I'm even more glad you went to the doctor! (((Tinros)))

Why so little sleep for the EEG? I've not heard of this before.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Sleep deprivation makes brain wave disturbances more prominant. It makes seizures more likely to occur. Also, some seizures are associated with sleep transition times (either falling asleep or waking), so it is useful to have someone sleepy enough to go through a sleep transition while on the EEG.

Tinros, I'm so glad you are getting this checked out. If it turns out not to be a seizure type of problem, I do want you to remember that panic problems can be hard to diagnose (often people hyperventilate without realizing it), but it is a real problem and is treatable. Just in case you don't get anywhere with the EEG, don't lose hope, okay?

------------

Edited to add:

link to eMedicine article on Hyperventilation Syndrome, which is somewhat similar to panic attacks but without the feeling of panic

[ April 28, 2006, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
*Sends a 1 HZ vibration to Tinros.*

That'll rattle your ribcage! [Wink]

Well wishes!

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
Know that I'll be sending you good thoughts today.

Kat

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll keep you in my prayers.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

One more thing to think about if the EEG is negative: Long Q-T Syndrome. This is easy to rule out with a normal ECG/EKG (machine that measures the electrical activity of the heart, rather than the brain) reading, but it is notorious for being overlooked as a cause of fainting in young women.

It's a different pattern of heartbeat that is usually there since birth, and it can cause some serious problems. Very rare, but it's just the sort of thing you wouldn't want to miss.

Best of luck. Keep us updated, okay?

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Thinking of you, Tinros.
Tinros
Member # 8328

The test went well- I'll know results in a few days, so I'll let you guys know then.

btw- the little sleep was because they wanted me to sleep during the test. I actually kind of enjoyed getting the little sensors on my head- it was really relaxing. I like it when people play with my hair, so it was easier for me to not be nervous after that.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Tinros! I hope they find out what it is, and that it's something easily treatable. That must have been terrifying for you! Take good care of yourself and keep us posted on what happens.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
My prayers are with you. Best of luck.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

The results for the EEG came back on Thursday. They didn't show anything. The doctor pretty much said, "We have no idea what's wrong with you. We have no idea how to determine what's wrong with you. There's nothing more I can do. Good luck."

Errrrrrrrrrr...

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I coulda told you that. Or much love flutiepatootie.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
How...frustrating. And unsettling. I have no advice for you, just lots of well wishes.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
((Tinros)))

Have there been any more seizures?

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Tinros, has anyone spoken with you specifically about ruling out Long QT Syndrome (and someone would have to do a formal read on an EKG, not just glance at it in passing) or about hyperventilation? Numbness in the fingers and lips is one of the classic signs of hyperventilation, and -- again -- you can hyperventilate without yourself or anyone else realizing it.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Tinros, we can form a club!

"We don't know what's wrong with you, but whatever it is, it's not killing you."

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hugs to you Tinros!
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I've had that diagnosis, Mack. Like the time I had severe abdominal pain, and three doctors said that. Finally one said "well it could be an ovarian cyst, that won't kill you either"
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Bumping this because I had another bad seizure today. I fell, hit my head on the tile floor in my dorm bedroom, and was blacked out for at least ten minutes(judging by the last time I checked my phone). I'm not having a really hard time typing, focusing my eyes, that sort of thing. I was fine for the past few months, aside from other illnesses(I seem to always be sick- sinus infections, and ingrown toenail, SOMETHING that was making me vomit) and now they're back. I had three today, two minor and one major. I think it's time for me to find another doctor... but for now, I'd really appreciate some prayer and good vibes.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
You've got it. Good luck.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostincyberspace
Member # 11228

- posted      Profile for Lostincyberspace   Email Lostincyberspace         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you point the doctor to long qt thing and have they checked you for multiple sclerosis. Have you been eating enough food with fat in it my brother had seizures for that reason. hope this helps.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

I haven't talked to any doctor at all since the first one gave up on me. I'm going to try and find a doctor here in Columbus that will work with me- hopefully, since the OSU hospital is right down the street, that means there's an abundance of good doctors in the area.

So far, my symptoms are(not in any particular order):

Seizures, minor-medium in severity, with only one grand mal seizure a year ago

Severe headaches, mostly concentrated in the front left(from my perspective) portion of my head

Trouble focusing my eyes/blurred vision

Nausea/vomiting- I originally thought this was because of the medicine they put me on for an ingrown toenail, but has persisted after the round of medication was over, and is mostly in the morning(I'm a virgin, so pregnancy isn't possible, except by an act of God)

Issues with muscle control- dropping things, shaky hands, trouble typing

dizzyness/fainting

loss of appetite

sleeping issues- can't sleep uninterrupted for more than a few hours

Memory issues- I have a hard time remembering things for more than a few seconds, even things that are very important. I also get confused easily- this has never happened before.

Fatigue, though this could be explained by the loss of sleep/interrupted sleep- I'm tired all the time, and have tried different sleeping patterns/lengths of sleeping to no avail.

That's all I can think of right now, but these things have been persisting for months now- the seizures go back well over a year.

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you eating regularly? What/how are you eating?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Tinros, you have my prayers. Follow CT's advice. And get thee to a doctor, post haste!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
Tinros, I had a pretty severe grand mal seizure during the summer of 2002 and for a while after i had problems with parts of my body falling asleep REALLY easily. I also had some memory issues for a very brief while. I'm really sorry to hear that this is still a problem for you. After mine, i was put on a medicine called Depicote (sp?) for a year. It's supposed to help suppress seizures. Are you not on something similar?

It's just going 4am Thanksgiving morning, and I just wanted to let you know that you have my best wishes and will include you in my prayers.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

pH- I'm eating regularly, for me, at least- at least two meals a day, more if I can. Most meals consist of an entree(some sort of sandwich/wrap/chicken/fish/something along those lines), a soup or salad, a fruit or cup of yogurt, and a cookie. That's what dining plan includes, anyway.

krynn- I'm not on ANY medication. The doctor I was seeing(who I stopped seeing after he told me mononucleosis, with blood tests, was "just a sinus infection") told me, "We can't give you anything because we don't know what it is. And we don't know what it is because all your tests(blood tests, EEG, EKG) came back normal. I don't want to run any other tests. You're fine, good luck."

HOWEVER. My psych professor, when I told him yesterday what happened, sent me immediately to Student Health Services. The doctor there proceeded to call me old doctor a quack for a few reasons, notably, he didn't send me to a neurologist and he didn't order an MRI first thing. Or ever.

So, I have a recommendation to a neurologist and my sister is driving me to see him next Friday morning. Dr. Giri, I believe the name was, in Circleville, which I'm pretty sure is south of Columbus. My sister's boss gave her the day off work.

Now, if I can survive the interrogation and probing(you may think I say this lightheartedly, but I'm not) of my mother, I should be able to figure out what's wrong.

Until then, no driving, and Tylenol, as much as is healthy, to keep the headaches to a dull roar.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Thank goodness you're going to a neurologist! I can't count the number of times some doctor has said to someone I love "you're fine, get out of here, there's nothing wrong with you" and it turned out to be something serious. I hope they quickly figure out what's going on with you and it turns out to be something easily treatable. Good luck! You're in my prayers.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I am SO glad you seem to have found a competent doctor, and your psych prof was helpful. Few things suck like getting told you're okay when you are very clearly not. It's like they think you're making it up or something. Or "it can't be that bad, you just don't know how these things work." Anyway, please keep us posted and be careful in case of drop seizures.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.