FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 10,000 Days (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 10,000 Days
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
do you listen to any other relatively heavy music?
Does Evanescence count? [Smile] That's about the heaviest thing on my iPod.

So, the answer is probably not. I should know better than to try to reason out my opinions when it boils down to, "I just don't like the musical style they play in..."

As a guess, I'd say it means that you're willing to make exceptions to a general avoidance of hard rock/metal in cases where the singer has a good and prominent voice. [Smile] I like Evanescence, and I've got Fallen. I find they suffer from the "sameness" problem both rhythmically and melodically, but Amy Lee's voice is compelling enough to keep me interested.

It sounds to me like you aren't finding any of the musical elements you look for in Tool. It makes sense, at least to me, that you wouldn't like them.

My taste is different: I love the snarling guitars, thunderous drums, and the vocalist who can (and does) whisper, growl, scream, and sing. For all I've said about Adam Jones' propensity for D pentatonic, he knows how to coax some really full, gritty distortion out of his guitar without it sounding overproduced (which is how bands like Linking Park and Evanescence sound to me, although I listen to both from time to time).

quote:
BTW, I'm listening to Sigur Ros' concert in Iceland right now.
I saw them live in Toronto last fall. It was incredible.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I generally have found Tool to be a favorite among people who are musical, who play instruments or sing, and are passionate about thier music. That's why I'm a little surprised at Lyrhawn's and Scott R's lukewarm reception of them.

I love the intensity of Maynard's voice! I think he's an amazing singer, though definitely, yeah, not in a classical or choral way. He has fantastic control over his voice, which I find very expressive, and there are places in many songs where he does things with his voice that just blow me away. I think everyone says of music they don't like that it's repetitive. That seems to be a recurring pattern. To me, Tool is anything but repetitive.

I understand and agree with what twinky says about Tool being rhythmically more complex than they are melodically, in general. Still, songs like Reflection, in which they don't even use a 12 tone scale, are pretty melodically complex too. If you listen to that one, he is actually hitting notes that aren't notes in our scale. [Smile] They are quarter tones above and below, I guess. I'm not sure since my brain doesn't recognize those phonemes of melody. It's apparently patterned after Indian music, and echoes in some ways the instrumental lines. ... So, because of things like that, I find them melodically very interesting as well.

Oh, and they use Fibbonacci series in a few places in Lateralus, to revert to rhythm for a moment. 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13... What other band do you know who would use that rhythm in a song? [Smile] And it totally works, too!

I'm another person who rarely pays much attention to words. At most they can enhance or detract from the music perhaps 10% either way. I usually don't bother to find out the words to a song until I already have listened to the music a good while, and then only if I really like the song. I like Tool's words, in general, because they're rich and suggestive without pinning you down to a certain interpretation. They are intense usually, just like the music, but always engaging. BunnV and I like to listen together to selected songs, after we know them well, and when we do that, we almost always have wildly differing interpretations of Tool songs, but both of us are sure our own interpretations are what the song really means. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I generally have found Tool to be a favorite among people who are musical, who play instruments or sing, and are passionate about thier music. That's why I'm a little surprised at Lyrhawn's and Scott R's lukewarm reception of them.
I can't speak for Lyrhawn, but I'm a rebel.

I also don't care for Rush.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Tatiana, is it there yet?

Just to remind you-it's AWESOME!!!

Mwahahahahahaha!!

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BunnV
Member # 6816

- posted      Profile for BunnV   Email BunnV         Edit/Delete Post 
From interviews that I've heard of Tool's lead singer, one of the the elements he tries to adhear to during his singing w/the band is making sure that his dynamics rarely surpass those of the instruments. His voice is an instrument just as important as any other in the band (and not necessarily more imporant). The purpose of his voice and lyrics, i believe, is to help convey his outlook on the world in a way that many can understand and interpret them according to their own personal beliefs and knowledge (Tool tends to be abstract in many ways).

I've been singing in a choir for a while and of course we do a lot of music in foreign languages as well as in latin from sacred texts. In general, latin isn't a popularly known language, and a point that our director made often was that we had to convey the "feeling" and "message" of the text in the dynamic and tone of our signing. This taught me the importance of how words are sung over what the actual words are.

Tool's lead singer doesn't publish lyrics until a few months after the release of a new album. Him, like many other musical artists, want the listener to soak in the music (the notes, the melodies, instruments, and vocals) before knowing the words, because knowing the words can be a distraction from that process. Especially when many have argued that Tool is "rhythmically complex," I think it's an essential step to settle in with the musical message before going ahead and trying to figure out the lyrical message.

After being involved with music, and having taken a music listening class, I find that I can use my knowlege of interpreting baroque, classical, and romantic era music much in the same way that I can listen to and enjoy bands like Tool. The only challenge is that it *may* be time consuming, and there are many people who rather enjoy music that does not require such an investment. Which is perfectly understandable, because people have different priorities and preferences when it comes to how they want to enjoy art. (Also, I'm not claiming to be any sort of art or music expert, I'm *far* from that).

As for me, and other people like Tatiana, we enjoy music that is artistically challening, because it's fun to figure it out and, in the end its very gratifying.

If you are looking for shining moments in vocals, or distinct lyrics, perhaps listening these Tool songs might be helpful:

-The Patient (vocals are very clear in this one, and the music isn't "heavy" for the most part)

-Schism

-Sober

-Disposition

-Aenema

-Parabol

-Opiate

Those are the ones that I think the words are relatively clear on first listen. [Smile]

[ May 09, 2006, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: BunnV ]

Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

My Dear Flaming Amphibious Friend, Yes it finally arrived today!!!!!

<dances>

It's ripping een as I type. The packaging is amazing. I sat here and just gazed at the stereoscopic pictures for a long while.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Your opinions ASAP please.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

<listening now>

It takes me a few listens to decide what I think of something. I really like Vicarous already, though, and Wings Pt 2.

There's this booming thunderstorm going on right now, which really fits. [Smile]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

I need to watch things die, from a safe distance.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

[Smile]

I'm listening to it on my new Creative Nano Plus, and it sounds fantastic! The nice earbuds the guy suggested are very comfortable, too, and they sound really good. I'm excited about finally having portable music of good quality. It makes me want to go for a walk or run. [Smile]

I am on the second time through on the CD, now, and I am liking everything I hear. Special favorites won't emerge for a few days probably. I'll post those as they come up.

hatrkr81
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for hatrkr81   Email hatrkr81         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite song by far on the album is 10,000 days (wings pt. 2). The lyrics are some of the most powerful that Maynard has written IMHO. They're absolutely incredible and overwhelming at times. Beautiful song...took me awhile to get into this album as I think it's very different for them (I was expecting another Lateralus), but I'm definitely loving it.
Posts: 124 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

My favourite thing to do is listen to 6, 7 and 8 in quicck succession. They flow together so well.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

Well, Tatiana?
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I'd recommend Tool's Parabol/Parabola off of the album Lateralus if you want to give them another chance.

This--from a voice minor and choir-geek tenor. Maynard (of tool) DOES have a nice voice in addition to his "rock" voice. I didn't swallow Tool immediately, either--but the complexity of their rhythms and genius songwriting has made me a fan.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I've listened to it a few more times, and I'm crazy about "right in two", and "10,000 days (part 2)" and "vicarious". What about you?
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait... you're compressing the audio before listening to it?

That makes sense ... how? Why not just pop it into your home stereo/boombox/PC's CD-ROM drive and listen to it without all the nasty compression?

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Can you hear the decrease in quality? I can't. Perhaps I went to one too many really loud concerts in my life or something. I don't know. [Smile]

I seem to hear more when I listen to it on my mp3 player than on the stereo in my car. That's probably because of the earbuds, though. I'm not listening to stereo in the house now, either on computer or on my main stereo system, because I don't want to add any stressors to Drive By. She prefers the quiet.

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
The 10000 days CD case is a fine piece of packaging.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
I'm not listening to stereo in the house now, either on computer or on my main stereo system,

Then why don't you plug the ear buds into your home stereo?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

Because that defeats the purpose of the ear buds-portability!
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Our friendly flammable frog is correct. It's all the way in there away from my room where I prefer to hang out. And I can't hear any difference in quality. I think I turned up my guitar amp to 10 one too many times or something. Seriously. Is it a big difference to you?
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
Is it a big difference to you?

Yes.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Cool! I wonder what I'm missing. [Smile]
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

It's not much.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Here's the best analogy I can come up with.

It's the difference between a piece of tightly woven fabric that you can see most of the colors and texture and a series of thin pieces of semi-transparent material layed on top of one another.

In one, I can see all of the material, but it's all sort of mashed together. It's still servicable, but I can't appreciate it's finer detail.

In ther other, I can take each piece and hold it up to the light and see its every detail. I can see its beauty and I can see its flaw.

These are extremes. There's a lot of music out there where it doesn't really matter what it sounds like, but there is also music where each and every resonance and each and every part of the music is a joy to listen to and that's what I feel I miss sometimes with compressed audio.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.