FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dog troubles - what's our responsibility (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dog troubles - what's our responsibility
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
(I recommend an Invisible Fence for the dogs. We have one and it works very well. The dogs can roam free, run, chase squirrels, and bask in the sun on our 1.5 acre property, but are highly disinclined to try to leave it.)
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Good point on the homeowner's insurance. However, it's very important to let the insurance company handle it if it's covered. You should get in touch with them ASAP.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a message on our machine Friday night saying that the neighbor had gone to Immediate Care for his back and that the family wanted our insurance information.

Before we called back, we visited the other dog owner. From him we found out that the incident had happened the Friday before (so 4 days before we were contacted and a week before the injured neighbor visited the dr). He agreed something seemed strange and said that he hadn't been contacted again after the initial phone call.

Animal Control showed up yesterday and gave us a warning about our dog. No big suprise, and the dog has been tied up or in the house. But, here's the funny thing - someone else on the road who'd also been visited that morning by animal control was obviously irked. They told the animal control guy to make sure to go to our neighbor's house (we were told this was who'd called) because he didn't tie his dog up either. [Wink] So he was on his way there too.

Anyway, Mr. Opera went over there last night to see if the neighbor was doing okay. The neighbor said that he felt he'd broken his hip but wouldn't have an x-ray to confirm it because he doesn't like x-rays. Mr. Opera said he got the feeling from a few things the neighbor said that maybe he's a little off (he is elderly). The neighbor said he had some cortizone shots for his back and then wanted to chit-chat. Mr. Opera never offered to pay any bills and the neighbor never asked.

So, we'll see what continues to happen. Mr. Opera said he had the feeling that the neighbor just wanted to know that someone cared. He seemed to enjoy the visit quite a bit and said I'd been very nice on the phone.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Weird.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just about to say that.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
So just keep giving him attention. Elderly people are often lonely, and crave attention if they live alone. Maybe if you just keep being caring neighbors, and he gets to know you better, he won't say anything more about the whole dog misunderstanding.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numinor West
Member # 9375

- posted      Profile for Numinor West   Email Numinor West         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Farmgirl.

Unfortunately, there could very well be a chorus of greedy family members urging the old man to bloat the inheritance. Geez, it is very sad what a cynic I have become, sorry.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Yozhik, how expensive was Invisible Fence for property your size? We've been quoted for it, but I'm having a hard time arguing the accounting of:

1 rope with a clip on the end: $10

1 Invisible Fence: $1,500

I may start doing the accounting:

1 rope that the dog hates and therefore will not 'go' outside: $10
1 household of new carpet: $3,000

vs.

1 Invisible Fence $1,500

*sigh*

Do you use your Invisible Fence inside at all? I know you can work it so the dog won't go in certain rooms or on furniture, etc. Our dog has also acquired the bad habit of getting on the dining room table (she's 9lbs of pure glutton), which has trained us not to leave anything edible there if we're not actually sitting and eating. For a while I was cleaning up the not-liking-the-rope messes AND (sorry for TMI) the table-food-not-sitting-well-in-dog's-digestion messes. It can't go on like this.

I'm thinking more and more that Invisible Fence may be for us. But I love hearing testimonials. What do you think?

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numinor West
Member # 9375

- posted      Profile for Numinor West   Email Numinor West         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeniwren, your dog jumps on the dinner table? Yikes!

Looks like a case for the Dog Whisperer, lol.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
It's unusual for 9 pound dogs to jump on the table? When staying at a friend's house, her Min Pin ate my cough drops off the top of my dresser, which were sealed in a makeup bag.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
We used to have a 75 pound yellow lab who would jump onto the counter to steal food off the top of the refrigerator... greedy thing.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a german shepherd climb onto the top of my refrigerator once. Of course, he was in a panic; it isn't something that he would normally have done.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
My dog eats dirty diapers. I was thrilled to get Julia potty-trained!
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MandyM:
My dog eats dirty diapers. I was thrilled to get Julia potty-trained!

Speaking about TMI . . . [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Obscure reference:

How much did he charge for the fence?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I love those IF's, they work really well. We had some neighbors who used them and it was great. Their dogs had the freedom within the yeard to run and play, but they were well trained to avoid the dangerous road that was fairly close to their house, and the neighbors didn't have to deal with their dogs.

The only problem I had was if the dogs DO get out sometimes there is a problem with the dogs getting back in....but I was told that once the dogs are trained most people remove the "shock" so that that isn't usally a problem.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Here is a page that explains how they use the system.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I like imaginary fences too. They're so much better than real ones.

.....Waits for someone to recognize the obscure reference.....

...Realizes that everyone probably thinks I'm talking about the invisible fences being discussed....

Answers his own question: Seventeen Dollars and eighty three cents..

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any great legal advice to add, but I was surprised to learn how different the laws (and consequently the insurance issues) are from state to state. In Florida, I got a break on my homeowner's policy because I had a dog -- the gave the same discount for owning a dog as for having an alarm system installed. In Texas, the same insurance company charged me a premium for owning a dog because I lived in an area with higher-than-average liability claims for dog bites.

And I had a fenced yard will all utility meters in the front (accessible without going anywhere near the dog). Didn't matter. Having a dog was a definite liability in TX.

I ended up using MY invisible fence indoors on the cat. It was there to keep him from sharpening his claws on the leather couch.

Worked great.

Didn't work diddly on the dog. Didn't matter how long the probes were, her neck fur was thicker. She heard the beeping, but never felt any twinges from the collar.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to speculate about the minimal marginal security of a dog over the expectation that everyone in Texas is armed.

But then I realized your other data point was Florida, so I figured that couldn't be it. [Smile]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.