FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Books for free (check it out!) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Books for free (check it out!)
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I took too long to post.

That's okay, Eduardo can have them - I've got a discount card at B. Dalton now. [Wink] (I always put that off, but finally decided to go ahead and get it.)

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good, Eduardo. My email is in my profile. The analog magazines too, or just the books?
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, CT, I'll take the Bujold! I gave all mine away a couple of years ago to someone who wanted to read her.

I've been wanting an out of date Harrison's (is that what it's called?) medical reference book to read, and Joey promised me one a couple of times, but he's very absent minded, and always forgets. If you happen to have one or something similar from some earlier year that you can't use, I would love it. I've got the book on cats, but I need one for the humans in the family too. [Smile]

All that's going to cost at least $30 to send. How about I paypal you that much, and if there's any left over (or if all the books are gone already), you use it to fund someone else's shipment? I love to see books find a good home. [Smile] If that's not enough, let me know and I'll send more.

What is your paypal-linked email address?

[ May 04, 2006, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I'm totally gonna do this with my own book collection. I want them to find good homes, because I can't bear to think of them being trashed, but there is a lot of stuff that I will almost certainly never read again that someone else could be getting some use out of before they rot. Books are for reading! Not for mouldering on the shelf!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Tatiana, if you have any books appropriate for 5 to 12 year olds (which is unlikely but possible), I'd be interested.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yo! Tatiana, since everyone dibbed all the books give them to me!!!!!
I love books! Books are very happy in my apartment.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still a good ways from med school (so Nikki, among others, should get first dibs) but if you have anything undergraduate-level, I could use some summer reading. Organic chem, molec/cell bio, physics, anything along those lines?

And... heh, wow, you're generous, I thought this was about free e-books. Which, btw, if you're interested in...

http://textbookrevolution.org/
http://theassayer.org/

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
-early paperback Star Trek novels

How early? Like, do you have the two Blish books I'm missing? Or do you mean some of the earlier ones from Pocket? Any chance you could name a few titles and/or publication years? I have most of 'em up through about 1991, but almost no paperbacks from after that.
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
In any case, if you're offering up Fledgling it's Kasie H's if she wants it.

*hopeful*
quote:
Originally posted by Jeni:
I'd be more than happy to give up my paperback copies of Songmaster, Memory of Earth, Call of Earth, and Homebody if anyone is interested.

Songmaster, please, please!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
can i have the rest of those OSC books?
PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSE?!?!?!?!?!?!

*needs to have every book that doesn't suck.*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Syn, I'll list authors and maybe titles for fiction, and subject matter for non-fiction, and anything that sounds interesting to you, I'll be delighted to send. I have a 4 bedroom house now, and still have way more books than I can manage here, so I have to find some way to reach equilibrium. Ceasing to buy more doesn't seem to be an option, so that leaves finding homes for some I already have. If I built a new floor to ceiling bookcase in my downstairs hall, it would probably just about give me room for the ones I have now.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

By the way, CT, you gave me dibs on the Bujold probably because I recommended her to you, (thanks), so in the interest of full disclosure, I have to say that it was Survivor (Richard Chiu) who recommended her to me, along with Mark Salzman (who is my favorite living writer now), and Watership Down, which is one of my favorite novels. So it's his good taste and not mine that you should thank. [Smile]

He also recommended C.J.Cherryh, and I haven't gotten around to reading her yet. I really need to do that. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

Watership Down! I keep meaning to read that . . . *revives mental note*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I'd be interested in just about anything
I also need a shelf though... A lot of shelves...
Gonna make me a library.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, I have at least one copy of Watership Down. It'll go in your stack. I have some J Blish books, but I won't get to titles until this weekend.

---

Edited to add:

Tatiana, also because you like her. [Smile] I want the books to have good homes!

Syn, the cheapest sturdy shelves I know of can be handmade from cement blocks or bricks layered with inexpensive planks.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I should read that book. It's about rabbits and I have a rabbit.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I will take Homebody if no one else has dibs.....

It is one of the few OSC books I have not read.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
rivka, I have at least one copy of Watership Down. It'll go in your stack. I have some J Blish books, but I won't get to titles until this weekend.

Double Yay! [Big Grin]

Um, when you say weekend, you mean Saturday . . . ?

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:

He also recommended C.J.Cherryh, and I haven't gotten around to reading her yet. I really need to do that. [Smile]

IMO Bujold is much much better. Although Cherryh's Foreigner series has some really interesting and well conceived aliens.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I generally like children's books (as a matter of fact, I love books), I'll sure have a close look on your list once it's published [Wink]
Edit (LJ code is different from Hatrack code)

[ May 05, 2006, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeni, only the books, not the magazines, thanks. Now...does anyone know what would be the easiest way to transfer the money to Jeni so that she can send me the books?
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
What about Paypal? I never used but saw it mentioned a lot on Ebay.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Um, when you say weekend, you mean Saturday . . . ?

It will be at least a week before I can get everything boxed and weighed, so there is no rush. I'll have a more thorough list up by this Monday, updated with "claimants" -- and people can start to pick and choose.

-------

Adding: Stephen King and Gene Wolfe (lots of the latter)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Could I have dibs on the Wittgenstein and the Churchland? Also, what children's books do you have?
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, dear, I have zillions of book (may follow your generous example one of these day) but do you need any help packing this spring? I could come up some weekend.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wolfe? I would *love* first dibs on your Wolfe collection!

::thinks::

Am I being greedy here?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, an hour has passed without anyone else posting in the thread at all. My jumping on the Wolfe books is now officially not greedy. Nope, not at all. That's my rationalization, and I'm sticking with it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

kmboots, what an awesome offer. I would take you up on a night out instead? *smile

I'm mostly pitching stuff, but I would love a little company.

Noemon, I would love for you to have my Wolfe. That would be cool. (And no, you are not being greedy. Officially. [Smile] )

andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know which Laurell K Hamilton books you have? I have some of her books so I wouldn't want duplicates but if you have ones I don't have (early Anita Blake or Merry Gentry) I'd love to have them.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take some of the stephen king, especially if they're Dark Tower.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I love children's books, too, the ones that are good. I sort of think any book that is a good children's book is first of all a good book, so people of all ages should be able to like it.

My nieces taught me that some books that are well beloved by children can be the type that don't appeal to adults, though. The Berenstain Bears (which I didn't read as a kid myself) I've always thought were too didactic and preachy. However, I saw that all three of my nieces truly loved them, with a real love. I think children must crave to know what is right and what is wrong. They have a yearning to know the rules. The preachiness of it never bothered them. So maybe my principle of good kids books being good for adults too is not a universal.

On the other hand, the girls taught me to appreciate a lot of things I never thought I would. I actually love Barney, now. Mary loved him so much when she was little, that I caught it from her. I got him. I understand now what's so good about him. But then she grew older and the older kids made fun of him and so she bowed to peer pressure and turned against him too. I am totally loyal to him still, though. I think Barney rocks! I used to get back to the hotel from working 14 hour night shifts on this one start-up I did that lasted for months, and I would strip off my hard hat and steel-toed boots, change out of my filthy jeans and shirt, and kick back and catch Barney on the tube before I slept. He's the .... dinosaur! Let go of your adult cynicism! Be pure and innocent again, small and uncertain in a world of big people, and greatly needing of love and reassurance and understanding! Do these things, my friends, and you shall know of the greatness of Barney! Barney is our friend. [Smile]

[ May 06, 2006, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I too love children's books and young adult books better than most adult books.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

CT, you never told us where to send the postage. <nudge>
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Hi! [Smile]

Just life busy. Once I get titles up, I can estimate postage, and PayPal would be great. Don't send anything yet!

Kwea
Member # 2199

Noeman, you ARE greedy, I don't care what she says.

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, CT, I just realized my address will have changed from when I sent it to you. I'll make sure you get the address with the paypal stuff.

Also, if you need a contribution to cover any poor struggling student postage, let us know. I'm sure there are people here besides me who would be happy to contribute to book distribution. [Smile]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I loved the mod of Castle Wolfenstin, where you get to use a chain gun on multiple Barney's. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Kwea, alas, you wound me sir! [Smile]
Kwea
Member # 2199

Why, are you purple? Of so then it probebly WAS me wounding you. A chain gun will do that. [Big Grin]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Tatiana, I just say you post in another thread and wanted to tell you that I'm finally getting around to typing out my titles. Will try to finish up and post in the morning. [Smile]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Yay! I haven't even started on mine yet.

When are you moving, CT? I need to know for unrelated reasons. It's not in the next 2 weeks I hope?

rivka
Member # 4859

*breathes sigh of relief*

I didn't miss my chance!

(I'm not really here! My finger slipped!

>_>
<_<

Of course, once my browser was pointing here ANYWAY . . .

See y'all when grading is done!)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.