FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » laundry advice

Author Topic: laundry advice
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure I will sound like an idiot but I guess an looking like an idiot on an internet forum is better than looking like an idiot in front of people I see everyday.

I am use to doing laundry in college facilities. Mine were really simple they had a button for colors, whites, and brights and then a button for heavy or light loads. I just moved and I got a new machine with a billion and ten buttons and I have no idea which ones to use. I have one for water temp (hot, cold, warm) on that is for cycle(normal, superwash, permanent press, delicates) and one that is for time. I usually sort my laundry into whites, colors, and linens. What settings should I use?

Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
It really depends on what fabrics the clothes are made of and how much you care about things like color fade, lint, wear & tear, etc.

Generally speaking, you want to do colors in cold, whites in hot, and you want the colors seperated by color. The cycles required vary by fabric, but if you're used to just bulk washing all your colors/fabrics together, Normal is the cycle you want.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I use the permanent press cycle for all these things I wear to work (dress slacks and corporate-approved polo shirts and other shirts) on warm.

I do regular (normal) cycle and hot for whites

Delicate cycle I almost only use for sweaters or stuff that I should really wash by hand [Smile]

Some machines even let you set a different temperature for the wash cycle and the rinse cycle, if you want.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't separate my clothes. I wash everything in either cold or warm. I generally wash them as delicates though. Except that if I set the dryer to "delicates," I have to dry them twice, or they'll be damp.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
(I have no idea what your "superwash" setting is -- but man if I had that, I would assume that is where all the muddy/filty stuff goes after the kids and I put in a hard day in the garden or yard).

does the machine has a book (manual) which it's suggestions?

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
No unfortunately not. It came in my unit so I am sure there was one six months ago when the first tenant got it but not now. I have a ton of laundry to do so I am not opposed to separate into smaller categories if I had an idea of what they should be and what to do them in. Its the first time I have really had to do laundry for two and I think Paul has been saving his up for weeks until I moved in [Smile]
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
We use cold water and regular cycles on everything except for whites and dress clothes. Whites get warm water, dress clothes get cold water on the gentle cycle. Dress clothes are then hung to dry (saves on a lot of ironing, plus less wear and tear on them).
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I never use warm or hot water for laundry. Today's detergents are formulated for cold water use (all of them, not just the specialty ones). <and I don't really MEAN to sound like a commercial>

Using hot/warm water is more expensive, is harder on your clothes and is more likely to set stains than cold water.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Cold water, normal cycle, extra large load. Use this setting for absolutely every single load you do and never seperate before washing. If you can, make sure half of your clothes are inside out and leave change and important notes scrawled on notebook paper in every pocket, that would help.

Also, to keep things spicy, throw in a crayon or magic marker every now and again.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
If you look up the make and model, I bet someone can find the manual on line.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

Its a whirlpool twin thin. I can't seem to find anysort of model number on it.
theresa51282
Member # 8037

I found the manual but it isn't very helpful. It is more about maitenance and other trouble shooting then what clothing to put in what cycle.
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I would always separate the whites from everything else and wash them in warm.

Everything else I used cold water for. The only other things I would separate out were brand new clothes with bright or very dark colors...since I wouldn't know for sure if they would bleed. I would also separate new Towels since they can bleed at times as well.

But for the most part, if you use cold water you are usually rather safe. Just make sure you take any pens out of your pockets. [Smile]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I wash everything in cold. No problems.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I do everything in cold except for socks and underwear - mostly because I am more concerned with getting those really clean (I'm a freak) than with them staying their original colour.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
Sort into whites, blacks, linty colors (towels, washcloths, ext), dark colors, light colors and jeans. Then seperate out by special tag instructions, ie delicate cycle (sweaters and knit wools, ect.) which is your gentle cycle. Whites are the only thing I wash hot and I wash them in a hot/hot cycle on normal setting. Then wash everything else on normal cold cycle except things that are designated to be delicate cycle, you want to wash those on your gentle cycle in cold water. Make sure not to over load the machine since it is in your house it is better for your clothes to have room to flow then to be packed which is a tendency to do in laundrymat machines. And if you can use fabric softner in the wash..it is actually good for the clothes, it cleans out the harsh soaps that can break down the fabrics.
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
OSTY, that's really good advice.

If the machine is too complicated, though, you can always take your laundry out to a stream and beat them against a rock. Delicately. With cold water.

And be sure not to overload the rock.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

OH! If it's a new machine IN YOUR HOUSE, it probably is designed to take high efficiency detergent. I don't know the difference, but when we bought our new washer, we were told in no uncertain terms to use the high efficiency stuff so that the machine wouldn't get all gunky and clogged and not clean as well.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Doubtful. The majority of machines being sold are still not HE, although their market share keeps increasing.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
I wash everything in cold. No problems.

There is an unseen problem in this: many mites and body lice can survive the washing at low temperature even if stains and skin are washed away- thus you get cleaner clothes and cleaner mites.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotta agree with Orincoro. We wash all towels and bedding in hot water for that very reason.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Doubtful. The majority of machines being sold are still not HE, although their market share keeps increasing.

Every machine we looked at was HE. Weird.

-pH

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to pay for each load. Heh--payload. Okay, that's not that funny. Anyhow. I don't always separate loads because it's cheaper that way. I never have had problems. I also don't care that much about my clothes, so take this with a grain of salt.

One thing that does seem to be important though--don't dry sweatpants/shirts in the dryer. They get all rough, instead of nice and fuzzy.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Towels and sheets in hot water, with detergent and bleach. I usually add our whites (underwear/socks) to those loads as they will fit. These are always on the 14-min. cycle.

I separate my clothes if I have enough into darks and bright colors. Blues, greens, dark purples, blacks, and jeans go in the dark loads. Reds, oranges, yellows, pinks, and other light colors go in the bright loads. I do the darks in warm water, and the brights in cold water. (If I have a small load, I won't separate the colors at all and I'll do them all together.) No bleach for either, of course. I usually forget to pick a different cycle and do them in the 14-minute option. If I think about it, sometimes I'll wash them for less time. I also throw in one of those dye-absorber sheets just in case something runs.

I don't think I've ever used the permanent press cycle... not sure what to do with it or how it's different.

Delicates get put in the delicate cycle with woolite and cold water.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
quote:

Clearly, y'all went to the snobby-high-end washing machine store. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the sheets & towels in hot water and all the sorting comments but I have a laundry question (I hope you don't mind my interruption theresa)

I just recently noticed (via a spray bottle of water mixed with a little bleach to spray on the grout on my shower walls to keep it sparkly white) that bleach when mixed with tap water here (Boston) turns dark like there has been dirt mixed in (sediment and everything). I've never had problems with bleach before doing this in any other part of the country that I've lived in. My question is, what else is there to use on whites and as a disinfectant (after kids having "sick tummy's" I always throw bleach in with blankets, sheets and whatever else has been contaminated) when needed in laundry? Any suggestions?

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Wow... I don't have any suggestions, but that is really surprising. I wonder why it does that.

I'm even more glad now that I don't drink our tap water. It's icky here. I don't have anything against all tap water, though. I'll drink my mom's no problem. Different area.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
quote:

Clearly, y'all went to the snobby-high-end washing machine store. [Wink]
At least when I wash my pillowcases, they come out folded with a little mint on top.

-pH

theresa51282
Member # 8037

Thanks for all the advice! I at least feel like I know the basics now. Plus the differing advice makes me feel better that there isn't one right way to do the laundry and I got left off that memo. I figured why I had this thread started I would ask another question. I am currently using Tide with bleach alternative. Is this ok for all the cycles/categories or do I need something different for some of them?
Katarain
Member # 6659

Regular detergent really is too harsh for your delicates, which includes nice sweaters, hose, silk and satiny things, bras, etc. I recommend woolite.

But I use the same detergent for everything else. I use Purex because it's pretty inexpensive and does a good job.

maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been brand specific about detergent, I buy what's on sale and what smells best to me. I don't like the smell of Tide, so I've never bought it. Since I've moved to Maui I've stopped using powdered detergents because they clump up too much in the humidity here. The last several times I've bought All Small & Mighty to appease my daughter who's been pushing me to "precycle". It's usually about the same price per use as the Purex or similar products sold at WalMart. It's about twice as much at the grocery store though.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you need to use woolite or some other alternative for your delicates. I do not like using a bleach addative detergent because they will eat at the fibers of your clothing and cause them to wear out faster. I like just normal Purex then if I need a cleaner to help whiten or lift stains I do a prewash in white vinegar, it usually helps lift and loosen the stains in the fabric. Just remember to check the stains before putting clothes in the dryer because that will set them!
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by theresa51282:
I am currently using Tide with bleach alternative. Is this ok for all the cycles/categories or do I need something different for some of them?

That's what I use for everything, delicates included. Lights also get a scoop of oxygen bleach.

But then, I'm clearly a laundry savage. [Wink]

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too. Or I was -- now I let Bob be the laundry savage. But nylons and bras go right in with everything else. (Nylons in a mesh bag so they don't get wound around the spindle, but regular detergent.)
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I knew there was a reason I liked you. [Big Grin]

(And technically, I am not usually the one who does the laundry.)

pH
Member # 1350

I hand-wash bras with the same detergent I use for the rest of the laundry...also Tide with bleach alternative. If I put bras in the washing machine, they get all lumpy and malformed. I have gone through many bras in this manner.

To me, "hand washing" something means "dumping detergent on top of it and leaving it in sink with water running over it until I remember to take it out and hang it over the shower bar thing."

I don't know if that's how you're supposed to hand wash or not.

How do you two not destroy your bras in the evil laundry machines?

-pH

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you have the kind that have lightly padded cups? I can see how those would get lumpy. The ones that are just fabric (and no underwire) don't.

I have also been known to wash a bra by rubbing it on my head while I'm shampooing my hair in the shower. (I had forgotten to pack extra bras on a trip, we'd been working outside and got all sweaty, and we didn't have laundry facilities. A quick shampoo, rinse, and hang on the shower rod to dry overnight.)

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Lately, I get those Victoria's Secret demi something bras. They're either a light pad or some kind of something...but they do have cups and not just fabric. If I wash and dry them in the machine (I think the dryer is the REAL culprit), they get creases in them, and when I put them on, then they look all...strange. And sometimes the underwire gets bent. Then it looks like I have wrinkled, lumpy, malformed boobs that are either too pointy or too...sticking out.

-pH

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it probably is the dryer, pH. I always machine wash my bras on a regular cycle, but then I hang them up to dry, and they come out fine.
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Never dry a bra...or so I am told. [Big Grin]

My wife washes hers all the time, but she doesn't put them in the dryer.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
I have also been known to wash a bra by rubbing it on my head while I'm shampooing my hair in the shower.

Brilliant!

Now I'm thinking, "Can I wash an entire outfit by not getting undressed before I step into the shower? What if I strap my suitcases onto the luggage rack on top of the car and run the car through the car wash?"

I've actually tried to clean my oven racks by strapping them on top of the car and running them through the car wash. One thing I haven't tried is putting the dirty laundry in the oven's self-cleaning cycle.

Housewifery is not my strong point, though.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.