FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Are people naturally inclined to believe in God(s)? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Are people naturally inclined to believe in God(s)?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking that there would be no room for any human error once one has declared oneself to believe in God is a pretty good reason to refrain from the declaration.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it's the "conscious" bit that gets me. Because while I've unthinkingly done myself and others harm, I've never done so knowingly and can't imagine choosing to do so when I would know, from the mouth of God Himself, that no greater good would come of it.
Boy, I have. Lashed out in anger for example. I knew that what I said would hurt someone and that I would regret it and said it anyway. Slept with someone just to make myself feel less lonely knowing that it was the wrong thing to do. Mostly I fail to do stuff. I am perfectly aware that God wills good for me and I choose not to heed that will everyday.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am perfectly aware that God wills good for me and I choose not to heed that will everyday.
See, what I'm hung up on here is your use of the active verb. You don't just fail to heed. You choose not to heed. I can honestly say that I don't think I've ever made that sort of choice.

I've done things thoughtlessly, and I've done things that I thought would turn out for the best that wound up not turning out for the best, but I've never actually chosen to do something while certain that it would turn out badly.

Katie mentions "human error," but the kind of thing we're specifically talking about isn't error. It's deliberately choosing to do something that will produce a result unsatisfactory to God and, theoretically, also unsatisfactory to the individual. There's no mistake being made here; it's a completely flawless implementation of stupidity.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

You are a better person than I am (and I think I am a reasonably good person). As a matter of fact you may be better than anyone I know - and I know some really great people.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it. I think, again, the issue lies in the "knowingly" bit. That's not just semantics.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Oh, I absolutely know that I shouldn't say hurtful things in anger, or that I should get my butt out of bed in time to catch the bus instead of having to pay for a cab, or that I shouldn't eat that second helping. It isn't a matter of not knowing; it is a matter of discipline.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
I absolutely know that I shouldn't say hurtful things in anger, or that I should get my butt out of bed in time to catch the bus instead of having to pay for a cab, or that I shouldn't eat that second helping.
See, I dispute this entirely. I don't think you do know it, not in the same way that you know, say, addition. We're defining "know" differently.

I submit that if you knew you should get up earlier, you'd get up. But you mentally run a little equation in which the value of the extra rest exceeds the cost of the cab and the lost exercise, and stay in bed. If the equation gets it wrong, that's because you estimated those values incorrectly; in other words, you didn't know how much the extra rest was actually worth.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

You underestimate my lack of discipline.

Being able to pretend I don't know (and I don't even usually bother to do that!) isn't the same as not knowing.

Sometimes I just don't care if I'm wrong. Even knowing I am going to regret it later.

enochville
Member # 8815

- posted      Profile for enochville   Email enochville         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with kmbboots, here.
Posts: 264 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

So what drives you, then, to sleep in late? If you know it's the wrong thing to do, and if it's not worth it to you at that time to do it, why do you do it?
kmbboots
Member # 8576

It feels good. Honestly, Spock, I sometimes make irrational decisions.
enochville
Member # 8815

- posted      Profile for enochville   Email enochville         Edit/Delete Post 
As a student of psychology, I learned a long time ago that if I wanted to help people who wanted to change their behavior, I had to do a lot more than help them realize that their behavior was not in their own best interest. I wish simply knowing something was bad for you or others was enough to get people to never again choose to participate in self-destructive behavior.

Knowing does not equal doing. Not by a long shot.

A great example is procrastination. Ultimately, it only makes things worse. But, there is an immediate pay off, which pay off is the reason we do it. The pay off is we can for a moment avoid feeling whatever bad feelings we feel as we approach working on the project. Those bad feelings could be worrying that we might not do a good job, or that the work will be painful, or that we will disappoint others, or that we won't be able to finish what we start, etc.

By procrastinating we are actually helping those fears become reality, but as we distract ourselves or rationalize why we are procrastinating we can forget about our worries for the moment.

Posts: 264 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
It feels good.
That's not an irrational decision, then, is it?
If it felt BAD, it would be irrational. And if you thought at the time that it wasn't worth feeling good temporarily to pay more for the cab, it would be irrational if you did.

But clearly you DO think it's worth paying more for the cab to feel good for a little while longer, or you wouldn't do it; otherwise, you've lapsed into some kind of temporary cab-taking insanity (and even insane cab-takers usually manage to come up with some reason to justify to themselves why they should take a cab before they take the cab). Now, your assessment of that worth might be heavily biased and rendered inaccurate by your condition or mood, but that just means you weren't fully aware of the value of your choice. It doesn't mean that you deliberately chose the BAD thing; it just means that you're lying to yourself about what you consider bad.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

Nope. I can't weasel out of it that easily. Sometimes I am just lazy. I know this is wrong and I do it anyway. I am not an idiot. I know that I will regret the decision.

Sometimes I say things in anger that I know I shouldn't. I am just angry.

Really.

And (back to God) people who, according to the Bible, had more "close encounter" with God argued with God more than once.

edit to add: And even if I were weasely enough to be able to pretend that I was making a good for the short term decisions, I know that God wants what is good for me in the long term.

Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
This threat is an inspiration.

God.. The Gods. Everywhere we look, they are there, looking at us. The Hindus say, you go to a Temple to be looked at by God, not to look at God.

Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
Sometimes I say things in anger that I know I shouldn't. I am just angry.
Wow. That's a level of arationality that I really can't fathom. I've never been that disengaged from my brain. Even when I'm angry, I'm thinking "I'm angry because..."
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I know why I'm angry. Didn't mean to give you the impression that I was angry for no reason. I am sometimes angry enough not to care that I am doing something wrong.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
I am sometimes angry enough not to care that I am doing something wrong.
See, again, that's the leap I'm not quite getting. If you know at the time that it's wrong, why do you do it? I'm just not grasping how you're able to act without self-justification.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, are you by any chance an off-the-chart T on the Myers-Briggs scale?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Simple human weakness, Tom. Some of us have it.

I really do have a hard time believing that I am the only person you know of that will occasionally fail to do what she knows is the right thing. Even so, you are just going to have to take my word for it.

[ May 24, 2006, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: kmbboots ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
Tom, are you by any chance an off-the-chart T on the Myers-Briggs scale?
No. I'm ENFP, usually, although only mildly N and P.

But I think I'm hung up on Kate's definition of "know," because I can't think of any situation in which I'd know something was bad and do it anyway. I think she's using a much less powerful version of the word.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

Know = understand, "get", be aware, recognize, be sure of.

Tom, here is something that may help you in your life. Pay attention:

Other people may have different experiences than you have. Because you don't have those experiences does not mean they don't have them. Really.

Here's another one:

Your ability to imagine or understand something is not a required condition for its existence.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

See there. I knew I shouldn't be snarky and I did it anyway.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
understand, "get", be aware, recognize, be sure of.
I think I'm being considerably more stringent in my definition of "be sure of" than you are. We had similar problems when you were talking about being able to "perceive" God without thought, sensation, or experience; the definition of "perception" that I use is dependent on those things.

In the same way, being sure of something is for me a considerably higher standard than it appears to be for you.

Because from where I'm standing, what you're saying is "I didn't want to do this, wasn't compelled to do this, and yet chose to do it anyway."

kmbboots
Member # 8576

What I am saying is that I wanted something that I knew was wrong, wasn't compelled to do it, choose to do it anyway.

Here are different examples (since you seem disinclined to believe me):

Smokers who already have lung cancer or heart disease and still smoke. People who are morbidly obese.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Kate is expressing exactly how I feel.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enochville
Member # 8815

Tom: Why don't you define "know" for us, the way you are using it? Then take us through kmb's example of people who choose to smoke while knowing that they are making themselves seriously ill by doing it using your definition of "know".
kmbboots
Member # 8576

That might be helpful.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.