FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Other books

Author Topic: Other books
Ozymandias
Member # 9424

- posted      Profile for Ozymandias   Email Ozymandias         Edit/Delete Post 
We have all read Ender's Game (or some other OCS book) and loved it. Or hated it... but if you hated it then i have no idea what you're doing on this website but...whatever [Wink]

What I want to know is what other books you like. Or, if you dont feel like listing books, authors.

I'm just going to list authors. God knows there's enough as it is, anyway.

Patterson, Connely, Rowling, William Blake, Charles Baudilaire, Milton, Crowly, and bunch of authors where I only read one or two books. Also, that woman who wrote Medalon was pretty cool.

PS- this is the first time I've ever posted on this website- considering i just made it 10 minutes ago in my Networking class. My name may be Ozymandias but my real name is Alexis. Not quite sure why i felt inclined to share that bit of information... please dont yell at me [Cool]

Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

:eats the n00b:

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum, Ozymandias! Sounds like you've got fairly ecclectic tastes in fiction and poetry--you should fit in here quite well.

It isn't uncommon for us to have book and author recommendation threads--I'll see if I can dig up a few of them for you. In the meantime, why don't you tell us a bit more about yourself?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

She's being digested, Noemon. Give her a minute.

[Smile]

Welcome to Hatrack, Ozymandias.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Newbie salad?

yesplzing

<goes back to work>

...oh, hi, welcome!

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ozymandias
Member # 9424

- posted      Profile for Ozymandias   Email Ozymandias         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you =) always looking for new stuff to read!

Hmmm... more about myself...hmmmm. Well, I'm in 10th grade, a redhead, a girl, a flaming liberal, I have the weirdest tastes in food and cloths, i love debates and discussing philosophies, and I'm a bit of a goofball.

Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ozymandias
Member # 9424

salad? nah...i prefer steak [Cool]
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack, Ozy. I think you'll like it here, given your list of interests. [Smile]

I lean more towards SciFi/Fantasy in my reading, although I haven't been doing as much lately at all. Computer games and yardwork have gotten the lion's share of my time recently.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Second to OSC (of course) my favorite author is Tom Robbins. They have completely different styles, but I love that silly man.

Third, I guess I would go with Chuck Palahniuk. That man is a genius. He's like a Tom Robbins on downers. Invisible Monsters was freaking amazing, and so was Choke and Survivor and everything else he's written for that matter. Gah! Love that psychotic freak.

Hmm, after that comes a conglomeration of Jack Kerouac, Albert Camus, Charles Bukowski (<-- that guy rocks the hoo-haw), W.S. Burroughs, H.S. Thompson, and, well, uh... lots of others.

Oh yeah, and welcome to Hatrack.

oh yeah again... redheads! [Angst]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Incidentally, anyone with the phrase "anarchistunite" in their SN is bound to get on my good side.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandias:
a flaming liberal

You are young, don't worry, you will grow out of it.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Charles Bukowski (<-- that guy rocks the hoo-haw)
Amazing, someone else who actually likes his writing!

I guess I should actually answer the question put out in the first place...

...recently I've been re-reading a bunch of Studs Terkel. I brought him up in another thread and it re-inspired me.

Also re-reading Asimov's Foundation series. After that, I'll probably re-read Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, since reading it at least once a month is what keeps me sane.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
A flaming liberal.. named after the destroyer of worlds... ........ Nah... I won't say anything. Her heart's in the right place I'm sure.

Btw, Ozzy, Don't get upset at getting eaten. It's something of a tradition.

Read Octavia Butler. All of her works.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandias:
a flaming liberal

Oh goodie.........
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Also, feel free to ignore resident trolls. Jay is a shining example thereof.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Okay, so, author/book recommendation threads:

The Greatest Sci-Fi Authors of all time

great authors (this one seems to have been beatnix's intro thread--you're in good company, Ozy!)

Authors who's complete works you've read(sic)

suggestions for authors to read?

Who are some of your favorite authors besides OSC?

help: need new books

Book Reccomendation (Please) (this one is specifically a request for books for a 16 year old girl. Most people seemed to recommend books for 6-10 year old girls, for some reason, but hey)

Historical Books (fiction or non-fiction)

recommendations for good espionage books

Books for free (check it out!) (Not technically a book recommendation thread, but you can get a good idea of what people are champing at the bit to get their hands on, and possibly pick up some free books yourself, if your parents are okay with your giving your address to a complete stranger you met on the internet. [Smile] )

Need more authors to read

Short stories that everyone should read

Favorite online short stories. (this thread is woefully incomplete--there are a couple of stories that I could have sworn I linked to in it, but I must have been thinking of a different thread. I think I'll be resurrecting this one. Unless I, you know, forget.)

Short stories?

Favorite Short Stories of all time

Exciting Sci Fi Short Stories (Edit:) and Novels

Help me make a reading list (of novels)

All-Time Best Graphic Novels

There are more, I'm sure, but these are a good number of them.

There used to be a really fantastic thread on the OSC side of the river in which Card had solicited recommendations for a "best of the best" type short story anthology he was editing. It's been lost in the sands of time now (threads here are subject to deletion after they've been inactive for more than 6 months), but it was stuffed with fantastic recommendations.

[ May 16, 2006, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Dood
Are you into Watchmen or something?
If so that is cool.

Did you read Maximum Ride by Patterson? Sure it's targetted at kicks, but I enjoyed it.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Syn, I'd be willing to put money on the name being a Shelley reference.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get the "The Destroyer of Worlds" thing. I thought that was either Oppenheimer or Galactus. Where does the Ozymandias association come from?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Jake, you are my hero.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Syn, I'd be willing to put money on the name being a Shelley reference.

Well, that's cool too. And it it was Rameses reference....
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.

Shelley rawks!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Oz! [Wave] I can't actually recommend any books at this time. I have to confess that I don't even know how to read.

In actuality, I am an infinite number of monkeys with an internet connection to Hatrack. [Monkeys]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
The phrase "infinite number of monkeys" does it for me every time. I will now be giggling at intervals for the rest of the morning.
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I'm looking on this thread and despairing, that's for sure [Razz]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Mighty Cow, I know you're upset that I gobbled up the n00b.

There just wasn't enough of her to share.

Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
What with only eroded feet and a stone face left, and all.
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Stone? Man, no wonder I've been gassy.
Noemon
Member # 1115

::clucks::

Scott, you *know* you need to take your Beano before eating newbies.

Scott R
Member # 567

:winces:

d00d. Totally not gonna forget next time.

Ozymandias
Member # 9424

Ozymandias... The King of Kings. Actually I read it in Patterson's The Lake House. Loved the name/character. Yes,a flaming liberal. Thanks for all the suggestions and threads =)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.