FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Uru Live!

Author Topic: Uru Live!
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
The MMO adventure game will be re-released later this year! For those who don't know, Uru is a spin-off of the popular Myst series, which circles around exploration and puzzle-solving.

Plot: The ancient underground city of D'ni was discovered beneath a New Mexico desert. The D'ni's city is in ruins, the people gone. However, they left behind the mysterious linking books, books that can transport you to other worlds.

The rebuilding of D'ni is headed by the D'ni Restoration Council (DRC). They will soon return (IC, when Live returns) to the city to open new area for the explorers.

Find out more at www.urulive.com. You can sign up for the beta test.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Given how they bleeped over everyone who bought Uru in the first place, I wonder if they'll find an audience for this one.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
Given how they bleeped over everyone who bought Uru in the first place, I wonder if they'll find an audience for this one.

How did they do that? My understanding is that nobody actually signed up for the live portion so the live portion tanked, and the game sales weren't so spiffy either.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, here are one player's detailed comments about the old Uru. (No, the website isn't much to look at.)

I think Andrew Plotkin knows about as much about games of the Myst genre as it's possible to know, as evidenced by his reviews of commercial adventure games and his own text-only games.

(If you want to play any of his games on-line, which I highly recommend, click the "Play Java version" link under a game description. The Dreamhold is the best one to start with, and it has its own page.)

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Earendil18:
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:

How did they do that? My understanding is that nobody actually signed up for the live portion so the live portion tanked, and the game sales weren't so spiffy either.
Yes, but if you bought it with the anticipation that there would be an online component that never materialized...

My understanding is that Uru never went live at all. I may be mistaken.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I participated in the beta, the live portion was fine near the end. The bottom line is very few people bought the game and even fewer signed up for the online portion. So it was canned.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
"The bottom line is very few people bought the game and even fewer signed up for the online portion."

Yep. Since it was cancelled, many new people have been coming to the forums, disappointed to find that Uru Live had ended before they participated.

So now there'll be much more people! It also helps that TBS is funding Cyan.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

Heyyy, I thought I recognized your handle.
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

Mine? I only use this handle on Hatrack, though. :-P

I should mention that not long after Uru Live ended, fans hosted on their own servers 'Until Uru' which was a way of keeping online Uru alive. Until Uru is currently free, so long as one has the Uru: Ages Beyond Myst CD.

By the way, Earendil... do you go on Until Uru or the Uru forums? If so, what's your handle there?

Earendil18
Member # 3180

Same as here, but after the beta I never really went back to the game, or any other MMORPG for that matter. Nothing against the game, I just don't play mmorpgs in general.
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

It's not a MMORPG. It's a MMOAG (Mass multiplayer online adventure game). [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.