FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » DVD Recorders

Author Topic: DVD Recorders
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good DVD recorder under $200? I've decided that I just can't live without either a DVD recorder or DVR, and since TiVo costs like $16 a month for a subscription it looks like I'll be getting a DVD recorder. Plus that way I can make my own pretty boxed sets of seasons 3 and 4 of Law & Order: SVU since NBC is going as slow as possible in releasing those. Also, do I want a DVD recorder that does DVD+R? What exactly is the difference between DVD+R and DVD-R discs?
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
DVD+R and DVD-R are different formats for writing to DVDs. They have some technical differences -- I think the +R is considered to be engineered better (more accurate, better error management, etc). Im pretty sure most DVD recorders will write to both DVD+R and DVD-R nowadays.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
We just got our first DVD recorder, and it won't let us copy commerical VHS tapes, which is the whole reason we got it--to free up space by converting.

Is this common? Is there a work-around? Do we need a different model DVD player?

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Short of holding a DVD camera up the TV screen, no You can't copy commercial VHS tape to commercial VHS tape for the same reasons you can't go commericial VHS to DVD. There might be something, but I don't know what it is. Our family did have fun converting our baby videos to DVD though.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
CNN tells us how [Wink] http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/03/tapeto.dvd.ap/ .

Another way is to get something that strips out the Macrovision protection; devices that do that are readily available. Depending on what sort of device it is you may need to put the video on your computer, first, before putting it on DVD. But if you can get one that's just inline, you should be able to copy directly.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.