FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I really DONT care about the Pitt-Jolie baby. Except.... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I really DONT care about the Pitt-Jolie baby. Except....
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
Some day, Suri Cruise is going to be up on the Oscar stage with someone named Sarah, and the MC is going to say, "Suri, Sarah. Sarah, Suri."

A few years back there was a minor Australian actor named "Yahoo Serious". I would have loved to introduce him to Whoopee Goldberg: "Whoopee, Yahoo. Yahoo, Whoopee."
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did I forget to mention they chose the really obscure unpronounceable Book of Mormon names and the pioneer anscestor names were ones that make you think immediately of an old, sourpuss grandparent type? And they gave them to children? The kids got teased pretty mercilessly.
You didn't mention it, but I pretty much assumed it.

I like names like that.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr Serious's 15 minutes are mercifully up.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like names like that.
[Eek!] But... Their childhood! Merciless teasing!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the kids will be so ultra-cool that all the other kids will wish that they were named "Nephi Ebenezer Gettysburg Mayonnaise-Whitebread".
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But... Their childhood! Merciless teasing!
Being teased for your name is a defence, as it deflects you from being teased for something that will actually hurt your feelings.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
I want to name my kid Killgore (as in Killgore Trout). Is that too faddish? With Badonka as the middle name. Killgore Badonka Vonk. Best. Name. Ever.

Kilgore Trout's name is spelled with a single "l". But then there's the malevolent AI in the comics who spells it Kilg%re.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in Hawaii, (on Maui, I believe) I knew of three brothers who were named "Hy-Hoe," "Quick," and "Sterling." Their last name was, you guessed it, "Silva."
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, goodness. That's so sad.

quote:
Being teased for your name is a defence, as it deflects you from being teased for something that will actually hurt your feelings.
In my experience, being teased about anything is a springboard to being teased about everything. Being ridiculous in some way, whether it's your name, your hair, whatever, makes you "other", and so you get teased in a way and to a degree that is only vaguely akin to the teasing about small issues that every child endures once in a while.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, except for being ridiculously tall and athletic, that makes you get NOT teased [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Not necessarily, Myrddin, my daughter is teased often about being athletic. She's eight, and the other second grade girls teased her and told her she must be a boy with long hair because of how she performed in the Presdiential Physical Fitness test. (She had the highest number of pull-ups in the grade - beating all other 2nd grade girls AND boys. Go Emily!)

I firmly believe it's impossible to tease-proof your kids - they're going to get picked on about something, you're better off just teaching them how to handle themselves when they're teased than trying to ensure they don't get teased at all.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

In my experience, being alive is a springboard to being teased about anything.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryoko:
I'd just like to point out that how attractive you are makes a big difference in your ability to pull off having a weird name.

One of many examples:

Uma Thurman hasn't had much trouble going by "Uma"

No? Some day, Suri Cruise is going to be up on the Oscar stage with someone named Sarah, and the MC is going to say, "Suri, Sarah. Sarah, Suri."
Or she'll get her first haircut with bangs and she'll be 'Suri with the fringe on top". [Big Grin]

I'm with Porter about Apple and Moses being attractive names. But then, I named my daughter after the weather, so what do I know?

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

It's awesome to never have anybody else around with your name.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

But always a touch disappointing when you can't find one of those keychains or little license plates at the tourist gift shop with your name on it.

Is it not so, Porter?

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Belle - I was talking about my own childhood experience, and I spose I should have put the emphasis on "ridiculously tall"... I was so much bigger than anyone else in the class that no one would DARE make fun of me. It was kind of cool.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jeniwren:
quote:
Some day, Suri Cruise is going to be up on the Oscar stage with someone named Sarah, and the MC is going to say, "Suri, Sarah. Sarah, Suri."

Or she'll get her first haircut with bangs and she'll be 'Suri with the fringe on top". [Big Grin]
<gasp> Oh. My. God. Don't do that while I'm drinking. I almost had to buy a new keyboard.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a cop friend who swears he did a traffic stop on a woman who pronounced her name as SHA-theed.

I won't put in here how it was spelled on her driver's license, but the second syllable was "thead"

If you run through the various ways of getting a sh sound in front of that, you'll figure out the nice joke her parents played on her.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the name Shiloh. I've considered naming a kid that. I'm not so sure about the middle name, but I love the first name.

Her siblings are named Maddox and Zahara, so the quasi-geographical pattern fits.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
But always a touch disappointing when you can't find one of those keychains or little license plates at the tourist gift shop with your name on it.

Is it not so, Porter?

A price I willingly pay.
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Me included, there are six (6!) women named Anna in my choir.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
It's awesome to never have anybody else around with your name.

When I was a kid, my name was pretty rare and I never met anyone else with the same name until high school, but she was a few grades ahead of me, so it didn't really matter. Now I probably know about 10 people with my name and it's been one of the more popular names for girls for the past five to ten years.

It sucks. I don't like other people having my name.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
2005 was the first year I remember not seeing my first name on the top ten list for baby girls, and i think it was 11.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Your name is "eleven?"

That is a bit odd.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's prime, Bob!
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
heh, I should proofread posts.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's a difference between an unusual name, like Aerin, and an outlandish name, like Audio Science (the son of actress Shannon Sossamon).

I absolutely HATED not having anything personalized. I didn't mind having a unique name, but I think unique names are more common in the South.

I think girls do better with unusual names than boys.

http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/index.html

[ June 02, 2006, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Mrs.M ]

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is Amanda and I could never find anything personalized with that or Mandy as a kid. Now that is a much more popular name and I can find that stuff all over except now I don't want any of it. Luckily my daughter's name is common enough to find on the cute personalized barrettes we saw yesterday. [Smile]
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Freakonomics has a chapter about how names come into existance and how names go on to become popular choices.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I was always one of 3 or more Annes growing up (not counting Anns and Annies.) I didn't mind it. We prefer slightly less popular but classic names for our kids, but we tend to err on the side of "having another one in her class won't hurt her." (Of course, the name we have chosen for our second son is a very popular one in Ireland, not so here. But still.)

This is fun: NameVoyager

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I sincerely doubt I would ever be able to find a bike license plate that said "Pearce" without having to custom order it.

What I find funny is when people ask me how to pronounce my name. I tell them, "PEA-ARE-SAY! It's like Beyonce, but not." ....then I try really, really hard not to giggle. Occasionally, they believe me.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Oh man. If I ever meet you, I hope I remember to call you that the whole time. I love it.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Try finding vanity stuff for Ana-with-one-N.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. M you are wrong for posting that link. It made me spit Diet Dr. Pepper.

quote:
Thazel is a name I've wanted to use for either a boy or a girl. Is that name too weird? It's a combination of my grandmothers who pasted away just three weeks apart. (Thelma and Hazel)

"So where'd you get that interesting name, Thazel?"
"A string of mysterious tragedies. Now I'm haunted by two bickering old ladies from far beyond the grave."
"Oh, that's nice."

quote:
Hi, I would like some opinions on these two boy names for girls? I really like them. Brandyn, I am really liking this name? Curious about different spellings? Brandon, Brandin? Branden?
Jayson, Also curious about different spellings? Jacen? Jaycen? Jaysen? Tyler?

This was actually written by Dr. Evil's father in a mad attempt to back up his claim he invented the question mark. He used it for all punctuation, whether it was a question or not, until the authorities caught up with him. In his madness, he also thought T-Y-L-E-R was pronounced "Jason."

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Brooklyn Makenzie or Alexia for a girl and Hunter Gage, Justus Brice, or Darian for a boy and... The name Jaden for a girl or boy

Child grows up to become character in Danielle Steele novel.

Justus Brice! Hunter Gage!
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
My fiance and I named our first born Cam'ron, I thougt at the time it was pretty unique but the name was actually pretty common last May. Just different spellings.

Oh dear God, they've discovered random punctuation to go with random lettering. Any minute now, they're going to bust out the umlauts and I've going to go into hiding.

[ROFL]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
I am having this baby boy on Aug 6. Dad and I love Alexander Scott but our last name is Smith. Will the initals be a huge problem? We don't want him to be teased.

That's OK. Kids are pretty uncreative when it comes to teasing. They'll never eventually spot that one.

*chokes*

quote:
How about Lou? When I was in England, I heard that name and it seemed to have a little tinkle to it. Randy is good too.
Okay, that one is obviously not for real.
Fishtail
Member # 3900

- posted      Profile for Fishtail   Email Fishtail         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
my hubby got on a kick of the names rhyming, believing we would have no more. lol, we are due in nov! so, i am in a tight place. my dd is kaesyn paige,(jason w/ a "k"), and my son is richard brycin (goes by mn).

if this bb is a girl, her name will be adecyn shai (addison shay)...

i need a name w/ the "sin" sound, not the spelling! lol! i am not fond of jaxon, but my dh likes aryxon (erikson) and i am fond of tycen. ...

New naming rule: If in typing the name out you have to follow it immediately with another version in parentheses, because otherwise no one would have the slightest clue this was supposed to be a name and not Klingon for "Wax my forehead, supple wench," this is a bad, bad, woah bad bad name

I HOWLED with laughter at the above comment...
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
The worst name I ever saw in a birth announcement was 'Magenta Poodle Pittman'.

Yup. Let's name her 'pink dog'.

Apparently one of the Spice Girls had a baby the other week which she has named 'Bluebell Madonna'.

*Is just thankful she wasn't named Tylette, Nicka, or Harlotte*

[ June 02, 2006, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Bella Bee ]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Hey, My dog's name is Nicka!

actually it's Nikka Mia Sheila, but she's Nikki or Nick, and this is a 90 pound 12 year old airedale, not some fluffy snowball.

Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
Nick Cage named his kid Ka'lel
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Like from Superman?
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

exactly vonk.
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Awesome.

Hmm. Google tells me that Ka'lel is a Jaffa warrior from Stargate SG1. Or is it supposed to be Kal-El?

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

it might be Kal-El or some variation of those letters.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And, of course, the old classic...ABCD. Pronounced "absidee."
I would think this should be "Abkuhdeh." As in "Abkuhdefguhjeckelmanopkwerstoovwicksizz."
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

[Eek!]
*rubs eys*
[Eek!] [Big Grin]

Welcome back, PSI!

Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
When your parent's are mega rich and famous movie stars, I don't think you get teased at school very much. If you tease, you risk not getting invited to parties at the movie star kid's house. The kid could have been named Peach Pitt and she'd still be more likely to be over sucked up to than teased.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Or you're homeschooled and only hang out with other celebrity kids with freaky names.

Ooooh! Wait until the freaky-named celebrity kid marriages start!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
And isn't Suri just another form of Sarah? I know they said it meant princess in hebrew.

And it means "thief" in another language. Humm, I think it is Hindi.... or?
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.