FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question for the Medicos. "I broke my clavicle"

Author Topic: Question for the Medicos. "I broke my clavicle"
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
So.....

3 weeks and 3 days ago I was running down a hill with my 6 year old neice over my shoulder when I realized we were going way too fast to ever stop normally. When we landed, I tucked and rolled not quite enough and landed squarely on my shoulder. My neice got up laughing. I got up and went to Urgent Care.

My clavicle was broken just a couple inches from where it connects to the shoulder. 90% of clavicle (collarbone) breaks occur in the middle or on the half toward the center of your chest. I'm in the unlucky 10%.

The only rememdies offered have been time and a sling. The sling, with a small round shaped pillow underneath it, has been great thus far. Time isn't moving fast enough. I was told by a good orthopedist that I trust, that I should be feeling much better after about 3 weeks. And I am.

My question is, does this mean that my bone parts are healed enough that I don't have to wear the sling? I am SICK of it. I'm left-handed and the sling is on my left arm. It's extremely frustrating and more and more I feel like I have more discomfort from the immobility than I do from the injury.

I don't have another doctor appointment for 2 1/2 more weeks but I'd really like to stop with the sling. At least around the house and sitting at my desk at work. Is this a good idea? If I really need to stick out the sling for the next couple weeks I can, but I REALLY only want to if it's what's best.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

[ May 31, 2006, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: peterh ]

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
The best advice I can give you would be to ask the orthopaedist. You don't have to wait 2 1/2 weeks, either. Just call the office in the morning.

<--Long-distance X-ray vision is on the fritz today.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
*whacks Tante upside the head several times*

Is that better, Tante? Can you see Xrays yet?

And yeah, you should just call and ask, I agree.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
:sees stars:
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, I've put my shoulder as close to the computer screen as I can. Does that help?

Also, I put a call in to the doctor's office.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo... Tante is seeing stars.

Good luck with your shoulder, peterh.

(I really thought I could let the missing period go, but just couldn't do it.)

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.