FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Top five sitcom characters of all time (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Top five sitcom characters of all time
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
(Notes: for my purposes, 'of all time' means the period from the late 1980s to the early 2000s. Also, for purposes of this list, we will all assume that we live in a better universe where 'Friends' never existed. And in my youth I somehow completely missed both Cheers and MASH. Sorry.)

5)Cousin Ira, Mad About You.
What happened to John Pankow? He appeared as Alexander Hamilton in a short I saw in college once, but must have moved to Burma or something. Our loss. When Cousin Ira appeared on screen, good things naturally followed.

4)Jimmy James, NewsRadio.
Edges Bill McNeal in a tight race among a strong lineup, thanks to the episode with the mustache.

3)Mr Belvedere, Mr Belvedere.
You know what? This doesn't need an argument.

2)Niles Crane, Frasier.
David Hyde Pierce nailed the fine line between parody and fastidiousness, a line I just made up. Maybe the best acting job on television, with the possible exception of the below.

1)George Costanza, Seinfeld.
Less a person than an embodiment of all things which make humanity unintentionally hilarious. I had an English professor once label George one of the great characters of the twentieth century. No kidding.

Strong cases that just didn't make the cut:

Vickie, Small Wonder
Mostly for those moments when we realized, "You know, I'm watching a sitcom in which a child actress pretends to be a twelve year old robot, and I'm actually accepting the premise."

ALF, ALF.
Gains points for the movie "Project: ALF." Also for the pogs. Loses points for the crappy animated version.

Bobby Hill; Mr Burns; Bender; Earl Sinclair from 'Dinosaurs.'
No animated series, or they'd dominate the list. Sorry.

Zack Morris.
Who didn't want to be Zack Morris? Not only do you get Kelly, you get to stop time.

Murphy Brown, Murphy Brown.
Because if I left her off, Katie would kill me. Yes, that's right. Katie loves Murphy Brown.

Mr Cooper, Hangin' with Mr Cooper.
Best sitcom title ever.

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Mr. Cooper totally lost points for being a fan of the Warriors. Seriously, the Warriors?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
-Denise Huxtable (pre A Different World). Coolest wardrobe ever.

-Whitley Gilbert A Different World

-3-way tie: Alex P. Keaton, Mallory Keaton, Jennifer Keaton Family Ties

-Andy Richter Andy Richter Controls the Universe

-Turk Scrubs

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
-3-way tie: Alex P. Keaton, Mallory Keaton, Jennifer Keaton Family Ties

There is no tie here. Alex wins hands-down.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I agree with the esteemed reptile from Florida. And I don't mean Jeb Bush.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor MAtt. So young, so tv-illiterate!

HERE are the top five sit-com characters of all time:

5) Klinger from M*A*S*H

4) Alice from "The Brady Bunch"

3) Barney Fife from "The Andy Taylor" Show

2)George's Parents on "Seinfeld" (they count as one)

1) And the number one sit com character of all time, the woman who is the measure which all comedians must measure themselves against:

Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! from "I Love Lucy

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MattB:
Zack Morris.
Who didn't want to be Zack Morris? Not only do you get Kelly, you get to stop time.

That's right! He could stop time! And he moved things around so that when it started again weird things happened.

I always saw those moments as simply "speaking to the camera" moments, where the reality of the show, such as it is, is merely suspended. But taken from another angle, maybe we should reclassify Saved by the Bell as a Science Fiction series. Zach had special powers!

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
If it really was of all time we were talking about here, Jack Benny, Gracie Allen, and Fibber McGee would all have to be mentioned.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean by the "top" sitcom characters? Most watched? Most beloved? Most funny? Most tragic? Most despised? Most mostest?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most mostest?
This is my criteria for judging everything.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
How can you leave out Dan Fielding and Homer Simpson?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
tv-illiterate
*Hands Elizabeth a dictionary*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Fozzie Bear,
Dan Fielding,
Barney Fife,
Rochester,
Gracie Allen.

Those are the top five. Other arguments will be heard, but you folks are all wrong.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

quote:
What do you mean by the "top" sitcom characters? Most watched? Most beloved? Most funny? Most tragic? Most despised? Most mostest?
The ones that please me the most. [Smile]

Ooh. Good call on Dan Fielding and Alex P Keaton.

Unfortunately, the noted parameters force me to disregard those characters who appeared in black and white, in cartoon, or during the Nixon administration.

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
tv-illiterate
*Hands Elizabeth a dictionary*
HAnds Porter a sense of humor.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan Fielding, that's a good one.

I can think of several from Cheers that I would name - Cliff, Norm, Coach, Woody. I can't decide between them though.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ooh! Burn!

Jimmy James is one of my all-time favorite sitcom characters, too. I think I'd have to take George Costanza off the list (he drives me insane) and make room for someone from Arrested Development.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I don't get it.

[Wink]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Phew! I am glad!
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I do love Murphy Brown. She was beautiful, funny, flawed, passionate, idealistic...This was no passing appreciation. I wanted to be her. Murphy Brown is responsible for more than one storming of my brother's room with a rubber band gun.

That reminds me - I wonder if the second season has come out yet.

From Arrested Development, I would say Tobias. He consistently makes me cringe and giggle simultaneously. Buster is also wonderful, but Tobias wins because of the Blue Man Group.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I liked Murphy Brown too. But I was partial to Elvin, the painter. He was the only one that was happy and supportive for Murphy when she became pregnant.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I always wanted Murphy to hook up with Eldin (as listed on IMDB). My favorite sitcom characters are Michelle from Full House (kidding!) and Darlene from Roseanne (not kidding) and who can forget Jack from Three's Company?

[ June 01, 2006, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: MandyM ]

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Eldon.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Matt, unless I'm more off on history than I thought I was, Nixon was not president from 1982-1989.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

You're not off. He resigned in August 1974.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
From Arrested Development, I would say Tobias. He consistently makes me cringe and giggle simultaneously. Buster is also wonderful, but Tobias wins because of the Blue Man Group.

George Michael was also a brilliant character. I'm not sure if I could decide on just one of them.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Darlene and Dan Connor from Roseanne.
BJ from M*A*S*H
Everybody from Titus.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Cosmo Kramer - Seinfeld
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Titus was great. I felt like I was the only person I knew that watched it. Probably why it's no longer on TV.
MattB
Member # 1116

quote:
Matt, unless I'm more off on history than I thought I was, Nixon was not president from 1982-1989.
This confused me deeply until I realized that the Nixon-referencing portion of my post seems to be referring to Family Ties. It was not intended so. My apologies.
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and I agree about Cousin Ira from Mad About You. He hasn't really done much since either.
linky

Actually I love all the characters from that show. They had such comedic timing. I wanted my marriage to be like that (because I was in a very lousy marriage at the time) since they were so cute together.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
What the deuce? Has everyone forgotten about Mork?! Mork people! So funny, and so deep. Oh how he came to understand the fun and foibles that make us human... The portions at the end of the episodes when he made his reports... *tear*

Mrs.M, thank you very kindly for mentioning A Different World, but I don't think I would go with Whitley. Dwayne Wayne is far superior. I think that the changes that he makes over the course of the show go farther to develop him as a person than those of Whitley.

Come on people, not one mention of The Facts of Life? Not one? Tootie! What about Tootie! Guh, 'nough said.

Also, I'm gonna have to go with Cockroach from Growing Pains. I have no real reasons, he's just too cool for school.

And last, but certainly not least, the very best actor ever to grace the television genre; the one, the only.... MacGyver! I know it wasn't a sitcom, but that man is as close to god as we've seen in these here parts and all shall bow down before the awesome majesty that is the Phoenix Foundation's, nay the worlds, very best to offer.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Homer Simpson
2. George Costanza
3. Chandler (I'll admit I watched Friends)
4. Niles Crane
5. Tie: Brian the dog or Stewie from Family Guy

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, I'm gonna have to go with Cockroach from Growing Pains. I have no real reasons, he's just too cool for school.
Do you mean Richard "Boner" Stabone from Growing Pains (best friend of Mike Seaver) or Walter "Cockroach" Bradley from the Cosby show (best friend of Theo Huxtable)?
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Bottom Five Sitcom Characters of All Time:

Peter Brady (The Brady Bunch)

Chachi (Happy Days)

Floyd the Barber (Andy Griffin Show)

Aunt Hagatha (Bewitched)

Mrs. Trumbull (I Love Lucy)

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
David and Maddie (Moonlighting)
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
5. Doogie Howser from "Doogie Howser, M.D." (you may have wanted to be Zack, but I always wanted to be Doogie. I even kept, briefly, a daily diary on my computer).
4. Ed from "Ed" (but only when his manic-ness is tempered by Dr. Mike Burton's mellowness)
3. Benson from "Benson" (the satiric rogue)
2. Murphy Brown from "Murphy Brown" (I agree with Katie's asssessment. Except I never wanted to be her. At least, not that much).

and, my #1 ...
Ed Chigliak from "Northern Exposure" for uttering what may be my favorite television line of all time: "I'm sorry; you probably want to be be alone with your manifestation."

Honorable Mention: Arvid Engen from "Head of the Class." He gives Ausbergers sufferers hope.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Northern Exposure was great, but was it a sitcom? If so I will have to add Chris to my list.
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not forget Soap...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
quote:
Do you mean Richard "Boner" Stabone from Growing Pains (best friend of Mike Seaver) or Walter "Cockroach" Bradley from the Cosby show (best friend of Theo Huxtable)?
Gal'darnit! You got me. In my mind they are the same person. So I'm gonna go with both, Cockroach and Boner, but Boner was the one I was thinking of originally.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
Edmund Blackadder
Arnold Rimmer
Basil Fawlty
David Brent
And, just so you know I've seen American television, Eric Cartman. Or maybe Bender, I can't decide.

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Northern Exposure was great, but was it a sitcom? If so I will have to add Chris to my list.
I would say that no, it was not a sitcom.
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
If Northern Exposure is a sitcom, so is Freaks and Geeks. If that's the case, I've got my top five slots filled in several times over right there.
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by zgator:
Dan Fielding, that's a good one.

I can think of several from Cheers that I would name - Cliff, Norm, Coach, Woody. I can't decide between them though.

Coach and Woody would basically count as one. The only reason that Woody was brought onto the show was to play the Coach character.
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:

It's so hard to pick from Arrested Development. I mean, you have Tobias, who is just awkward and goofy. And then you have Buster, who is awkward and goofy. Then you have George-Michael, who, need I say it, it awkward and goofy. It would have to be a tie between those three. But seriously, that show needs to come back.

I'll have to think about who would be my next few, however. There are so many good ones to choose from.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
M*A*S*H, all the way. I'm torn between Hawkeye, Klinger and Radar.

And Barney Fife is the Andy Griffith Show, not the Andy Taylor show [Razz] (says the young and TV literate [Smile] )

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Since the topic is TV characters, maybe this isn't too out of place:

Which of the M*A*S*H trade-out characters do you like the best?

Colonel Herny Braymore Blake or Colonel Sherman T. Potter?

John Francis Xavier McIntyre (aka Trapper) or BJ Hunnicut?

Me, I have a hard time deciding. I think I like BJ better, just becaus his sarcasm jives with mine a little better. I guess it just comes of as a little more good natured. And definitely Henry is far better a colonel. That guy just didn't give a hoot and wanted to be home at least as much as the rest of them.

rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Thought I'd throw some modern notables out there:

House from House, Earl from My Name is Earl, and both Michael and Dwight from NBC's The Office. In no particular order.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I can never pick between Henry & Potter; on the second one it's BJ all the way.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I'm pretty sure that House is a drama, not a sitcom.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.