FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Happy, funny movie list (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Happy, funny movie list
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's say I need to find a movie to lighten my mood. I don't want something that insults my intelligence, but I also don't want something whose humor is overly cerebral, dark, or satiric. Romance is acceptable, as long as it isn't the central aspect of the movie (generic or formulaic RomComs need not apply). I just want something that I'll laugh at, and will afterwards feel better about life in general.

Some examples:
Appropriate: Some Like It Hot, The Princess Bride, The Philadelphia Story, His Girl Friday, A Christmas Story

Inappropriate: Dr. Strangelove, La Vita è bella, Life of Brian, The Graduate, Heathers

Really Inappropriate: anything that is "so bad it's good"

What do you recommend, Dr. Hatrack?

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Amelie!

Also, Monster's Inc, The Incredibles, Zoolander (silly, but really well-done silly).... I think you might really like Amelie, though. [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Jungle Book. Just watch it for the Music!
NOTE: look for the use of litemotief's just like a Wagner opera.

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
The Court Jester
How to Steal a Million
any Wallace and Gromit films
any of the Mr. Bean tv shows
Kiki's Delivery Service
Spirited Away
Amelie
Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Arsenic and Old Lace
Being There
The Hudsucker Proxy
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
So I Married an Axe Murderer
Three Amigos
Murder by Death

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Brain Donors! (A modern version of Marx Brothers style comedy, with John Turturro playing the Groucho role.)
The PowerPuff Girls Movie!
Everything that Zeugma listed!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Meet the Parents? It revolves around a wedding and a proposal, so I suppose it could be a RomCom, though.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent, excellent, I'm feeling better already. A little feed back:
>Kiki's Delivery Service
>Spirited Away
Are these really comedies? I haven't seen Kiki's, but Spirited Away struck me more as absurdist adventure.

>Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
>Meet the Parents
These are a little too mean to fit my model of the perfect funny, happy movie. Although I like both movies and think they are very funny, I'm looking for something involving less mockery.

>The PowerPuff Girls movie
umm...I don't see how the universe could align to make me consider watching this.

Favorite suggestions so far that I haven't seen:
Amelie
Zoolander
How to Steal a Million
Brain Donors (pending further investigation)

Good suggestions that I have already seen:
The Court Jester, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Hudsucker Proxy

Suggestions that I have already seen, but don't quite fit what I'm looking for:
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
So I Married an Axe Murderer
Three Amigos
(aforementioned) Meet the Parents
(aforementioned) Dirty Rotten Scoundrals

*feedback is intended to better clarify the type of movie I'm interested in and should in no way discourage those who have made excellent and very helpful suggestions

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Mystery, Alaska
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how you can consider the Hudsucker Proxy not cerebral, but...sure.

If you haven't seen Amelie yet, I vote for it being #1 on your list of movies-to-watch.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Father Goose.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Second Hand Lions, a truely great uplifting movie with lots of funny parts.
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheaper by the Dozen, and Cheaper by the Dozen II.

Yours, Mine and Ours, the original.
Undercover Blues

Any episode of Boy Meets World.

White Christmas/Holiday Inn.

I should have a much longer list, but I'm blanking.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Singing In The Rain
Blazing Saddles
A Night At The Opera
Space Balls
Young Einstein with Yahoo Serious

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Young Frankenstein
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Office Space (but is that too satiric?)
My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Both movies never cease to make me laugh. Feel better!

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the suggestion of How to Steal a Million. That movie started my love of Audrey Hepburn movies.

Secondhand Lions is a great feel good, laugh out loud movie.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Checking back in: great suggestions, one and all.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding is exactly what I'm looking for. If only I hadn't already seen it. And the Young Einstein suggestion brightened my day through its very existence.

I was just reading Roger Ebert's (negative) review of "The Break-Up" and I realized the key characteristic (besides humor) that I'm searching for is warmth. The humor is not at anyone's expense and no one is made to look the fool. Family comedies seem to do this particularly well, because of the nature of families, I suppose. Anyway, just to give some insight into my process of determination.

MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I call your O Brother, Where Art Thou? and My Big Fat Greek Wedding and raise you Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore and The Waterboy.

I also loved 50 First Dates, Fever Pitch, and Never Been Kissed but those can be classified as romantic comedies.

Older movies like Big, 9 to 5, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Mrs. Doubtfire, and Mr. Mom all make me laugh.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
The humor is not at anyone's expense
Not to nit-pick, but isn't this a paradox?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
'Rat Race' ends nicely... warm and fuzzily.

Pretty much any Pixar movie.

I actually rather enjoyed 'How to Lose a Guy in 10 days'. But is that too dark?

A retro western would be 'Support your Local Sheriff'

'Hoodwinked' was hilarious... A little slow starting, but quite rewarding if you stick past those first ten minutes. It's one of those movies that gets funnier the more you watch it...

Oh, and the all time funniest movie of all times.

'What's up Doc' with Barbera Streisand and Ryan O' Neal. Madeline 'What's her face' was in that too. Is it Carr? Madeline Carr? I dunno. Anyway, I laughed the entire time through the movie.

Musicals like 'Hello Dolly' are extremely overdone, but funny. Watch 'My Fair Lady', or something.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
The Wedding singer was good too.
Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Eros, I don't think it is. There are movies that start out intending to make fun on one character or a group of people. One character is beaten down the whole movie so we, the audience, feels sorry for him and then he wins in the end. I hate those kind of movies. Meet the Parents is like that for me, and it is the same with many of Ben Stiller's movies. I just don't think they are funny.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

I just can't think of anything funny (by anyone's standards, not just mine) that doesn't have a victim.
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

Yeah, I really don't get Ben Stiller. Sometimes it's a little painful, like the American Idol auditions... Only I don't like the movies. <Grin>
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Rocketman!

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen in my entire life. My whole family has sat around laughing at it at least half a dozen times. Good for old and young alike. It's got Harland Williams as a star, so it has to be a riot. Definitely, definitely see this movie. If not now, then sometime soon. It's a feel good movie with a happy ending and the humor isn't at the expense of anyone.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
"What's Up Doc"
Madeline Kahn

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...

L.A. Story
The Emperor's New Groove
Ten Things I Hate About You (might be too much of a romance, though)
Sinbad - Legend of the Seven Seas
Hitch (though I hate the ending)

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Bravo just did a top 100 funniest movies of all time.

1. Animal House
2. Caddyshack
3. Shrek
4. There's Something About Mary
5. South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut
6. Airplane –
7. The Wedding Singer
8. Blazing Saddles
9. Ace Ventura: Pet Detective –
10. Arthur
11. Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
12. The Producers
13. Naked Gun Series
14. Napoleon Dynamite
15. Fast Times At Ridgemont High
16. Old School
17. M*A*S*H
18. Stripes
19. Wedding Crashers
20. The Jerk

Funny is so subjective that no one is ever going to agree completely. I thought they may have put a little too much empasis on newer movies,

A couple that stood out as being way too high on the list were:
"the Wedding Singer". It seems no better to me than any other romatic comedy. I've seen it once and can't remember anything about it. Can someone please tell me what makes this movie so great.

Pee Wee's movie??? Didn't get it when it came out, still don't

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Wait, what the hell did they base it on? There are a lot of really, really funny movies that didn't make it on there. Like Shark Attack III. And NORTH SHORE!
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Woah, I've seen every movie on that list and only enjoyed five of them. edit: Erm, the Bravo list.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

I think those Bravo people have a different definition of "funny" than I do....
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen most of them and while yes, they are funny, it's a specific kind of funny. I'm really bad at describing humor but it's like those movies aren't very highbrow, satiric, or subtle about their funniness.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
At first I was horrified by the presence of The Producers on the list; then I realized that it was the original movie that was intended, and not the unholy execrable conflagration that was last year's release.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
Since you are obviously OK with old movies:

I Married a Male War Bride
Bringing Up Baby
Desk Set
It Happened One Night
How to Marry a Millionaire
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
The Princess and the Pirate
The Inspector General

Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
-Waking Ned Devine!!!
-Groundhog Day
-Foul Play (humor probably too much at expense of others, but I still think it's hysterical)
-It Happened One Night (edit: I see Amilia beat me to this one)

(you already mentioned two of my all-time favorites in that category: Philadelphia Story and Princess Bride)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
The Original "Yours, Mine and Ours" always puts a smile on my face.

M*A*S*H is always a good comedy

Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Clue.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Hoodwinked!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of the ones that are being mentioned now -- like Groundhog Day and Bringing Up Baby -- probably fit the "romantic comedy" criteria he wanted to avoid.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked After the Sunset.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A lot of the ones that are being mentioned now -- like Groundhog Day and Bringing Up Baby -- probably fit the "romantic comedy" criteria he wanted to avoid.
Now, see, I would classify those as screwball comedies rather than romantic comedies. And he did meniton several screwball comedies as examples of what he wanted.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's a fine line, but in his original post all of the "appropriate" movies w/ the exception of A Christmas Story have romance story lines, so I felt pretty safe w/ Groundhog Day and It Happened One Night; I left out others like You've Got Mail because I thought that romance was the major element.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I second "Clue" and "Singin in the Rain."

I'm sure everyone and their mother has seen "Father of the Bride" but its certainly one of my favorite feel-good comedies.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Take the Money and Run.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Hoodwinked had a budget cut, because the animation was REALLY bad. It was funny and all, but I couldn't get over the animation.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Periscope Down - One of my favorites of all time.
Any Firefly Episode, or Serenity
Titan AE

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

The Animation was different. They were going for a cartoony look. (And twitchy was supposed to look like that)
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Amelie is my favorite movie.

I thought Lost in Translation was funny, but I know a lot of people who thought it was boring. About a Boy was cute. When Harry Met Sally is probably my favorite romantic comedy ever. Kiki's Delivery Service was by far the worst Miyazaki film I've seen. If you're going for a funny animated flick, I'd vote for The Incredibles or Finding Nemo.

And anyone who likes The Philadelphia Story is automatically okay in my book.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Thanks again, everyone. Just watching this list get made really brightened my day. Ironically, after all this I ended up watching Tomb Raider last night, since 1) that was what was on TV and 2) I wasn't able to go rent anything.

Just a couple more observations:
1) Part of the benefit of making this list was to see what the commonalities of the movie genre I was looking for were. Here's what I came up with
- Ensemble cast. In almost all cases where I said, "Yeah, like that" they were movies not with a strong central character, but a group of strong characters. Good examples of this (that I've seen): My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Waking Ned Devine, Clue
- Lovable characters. This is what I meant when I said "warm." As a counter-example, I didn't love any of the characters in Meet the Parents. The movie was funny, but I came out of the show thinking "man, I'd never want to meet/know/be forced into contact with any of those people."
- Kind Humor. In most cases, the humor arises from characters quirky idiosynchracies. While I agree with erso that all humor is at someone's expense, in this case even though we cringe it just makes us love the characters more, because that's who they are. If that makes sense.
- What's the opposite of urbane? Rurale? M*A*S*H, while hilarious, is very urbane, just like all of Altman's movies. Jaded. I don't want that. I want something...idealistic, maybe? Innocent?

2) In my initial post, I did say that movies with romantic themes were fine as long as it wasn't the central theme of the movie. The only true RomComs that I think were mentioned were mentioned (and caveated) by MandyM. I would say the central theme of Groundhog Day is Bill Murray's redemption, and the central theme of Brining up Baby is Cary Grant's loosening up.

3) That Bravo list is a great example of funny movies that are exactly *not* what I'm looking for. Which makes sense to me, because Bravo as a channel caters to the more urbane viewers (IMO). The only one from that list (of the 15 or so that I've seen) that fits in the sub-genre I'm considering is Napoleon Dynamite. And maybe Shrek.

So, culling from the many wonderful suggestions, and considering some that I've thought of on my own offline, here's my funny, happy movie list (these are all movies I've seen, rather than the movies I'm now looking forward to seeing due to the great recommendations of all y'all):
"My Big Fat Greek Wedding"
"Moonstruck"
"Napoleon Dynamite"
"Northern Exposure" (if only it were a movie)
"Waking Ned Devine"
"About a Boy"
Any Cary Grant comedy ("Topper" was one I thought of that hasn't been mentioned, but all the ones mentioned are good)

Honorable mention:
"Clue"
"Singin' in the Rain" (I once helped a Blockbuster employee who was unable to find this for a patron, because they kept typing Singing rather than Singin')
"Office Space"
"LA Story"
The Pixar movies

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.