FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wanted: Morman fiction recommendations

Author Topic: Wanted: Morman fiction recommendations
jtgame
Member # 8337

- posted      Profile for jtgame   Email jtgame         Edit/Delete Post 
A year or two ago, I bought a couple of novels from an LDS bookstore, read them from cover to cover, though I had to force myself to do so. So, my question for you is: Do you have any recommendations for any LDS-based novels, or non-LDS novels from LDS authors (except OSC, of course, since I've most likely already read it two or three times)? Any genre is fine. Having recovered, I'd like to give it another chance, but hope for a better experience.

(OSC, if you're reading this, how about a column in your "Brother Orson Reviews" column?)

Thanks.

-John

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I looked up "morman" at Amazon.com, to see if there were actually any books listed, since I've been told that it is just a mispelling of "mormon". But there were actually quite a few books that have apparently been published with morman in the title. I haven't read any of them. [Wink]

There's always this.
http://www.hatrack.com/store/store.cgi?loc=us&item=BOOKS_GodsArmy&opt=

[ June 05, 2006, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: Theca ]

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
My recommendation would be to not waste your time with all that fluff.

I've read a few "mormon novels" here and there over the years. They have been uniformly appalingly bad.

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Where is Zalmoxis? Zal knows what the good ones are. There are a few, although not nearly as many as the awful ones.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
You may have to look in a museum to find a selection. But, arround the turn of the century, there was an author, Nephi Anderson, who wrote some good fiction. As a young guy I enjoyed "Boys of Springtown". (imagine Tom Sawyer in Logan) He wrote "Added Upon". But only the first half of the book is well written, so don't start with that one although it may be the easest to find. Gorden Allred also wrote fiction that was worth reading. His plays are "kind of steep". But his novels are a cut above those folks that write for the Southern California Mormon Market.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Magson. Read good fiction and don't lower individual standards of excellence just because it's geared toward a certain group.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Folk of the Fringe.
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm personally a big fan of Dean Hughes. "Soldier Boys" is classified as young adult fiction, but I was so riveted by it that I read it in a night (I don't do that often on a school night). He's very good at avoiding the tempation to sugar-coat the Church.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you said no OSC, but Saints is the only LDS novel I ever recall reading that I really thought was good. I'm in no position to bash the genre, though, because it's been years since I've read any of it. (Well, I have read a bit of the Work and the Glory and while I understand why the series has such a large following, it's not going to be for everyone--sappy romance and weak dialogue and stuff.)
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

- posted      Profile for OlavMah   Email OlavMah         Edit/Delete Post 
"Baptists at Our Barbeque" by Robert Farrell Smith. My non-LDS mother read this as well and found that she couldn't do so before bed, because she was laughing so loud she'd keep my father up. I haven't cared much for Smith's other novels, but some people love them all.

I believe David Farland (aka Dave Wolverton) publishes some stuff with Covenant, an LDS publishing house.

OSC also has done some publishing of other LDS authors. I believe his house published things like "The Alphabet Year" by Kathy Kidd, though I could be wrong about that. Haven't read the books, myself. There may still be links to them on Nauvoo.com.

Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

No, what am I talking about? OSC's publishing house is Hatrack Publications, located at:

http://www.hatrack.com/store/store.cgi?loc=us&item=HRP&opt=&signature=&to=

Sorry... it's Monday.

Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
You may enjoy Anne Perry's otherworldy fantasy Talthea and its sequel.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Might I ask why you think an author's faith plays a role in the quality of the book he writes?
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

Well, the LDS publishing market is itty-bitty. To give a sense of perspective, a "bestseller" is 10,000 copies. Self published, subsidy published, and POD published books can be sold through Deseret Book. So, with regards to LDS fiction being "bad," I think people are talking about fiction published in the LDS market. Its quality is roughly that of a limited, regional market, like you'd see on a "local authors" table in your local Barnes and Noble.
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
I once read a book called Eddie Fantastic by Chris Heimerdinger. Maybe it's because I was at an entertainment-starved moment in my life, but I quite liked it. Nothing profound or spectacular, but quite fun and hard to put down. It's junior-fiction level sci-fi, and reminded me a lot of William Sleator.

Also, when I was a kid, I loved the Great Brain series of books. It's not Mormon-based as in spiritually uplifting or useful in proselyting, but it's set in a small southern Utah town in the late 19th century, so there's a lot of Mormon culture. It's kind of Mormon-based in the same way that Lost Boys was, but not near as heavy. Fun, quick reads if I remember, although it has been a few decades.

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I;ve done lots of road trips with Heimerdinger books on tape narrated by the author. They were entertaining and kept me awake. But, I've never tried to read one. If thats a recommendation, then go with it. Besides who wouldn't love an author named Chris Heimerdinger!
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Zalmoxis is the man for Mormon fiction and art in general. You should definitely ask him. If you can't find him here, check out his blog, A Motley Vision. He's known there by the pseudonym of William Morris, though, for some reason. [Wink]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I felt my ears burning. Thanks, everybody.

I'm traveling and so can't respond in as much detail as I would like. But here's a link to some of my Mormon fiction recommendations . That list is mainly limited to literary fiction, there's more out there. If anyone has any particular interests, speak up and I'll try to come up with something.

OlavMah's description of the Mormon publishing market is mostly correct -- although see Kent Larsen's posts on A Motley Vision for a fuller perspective. And the market is esp. tough for what I'm most interested in -- literary, but accessible fiction (of all genres) that is faithful but not didactic.

Of course, because of the economics of publishing some of the best Mormon fiction is in shorter form -- short stories and poetry.

Let me also put a plug in for Popcorn Popping , a newly launched online magazine that publishes creative narrative work by and/or about Mormons.

-------
TrapperKeeper:

You ask a good question, but I don't see anything above where people suggest that someone's faith has a direct affect on the quality of a work (granted there may be some Mormons as well as members of other socio-religious-ethnic groups who feel this way, but no one that I know on Hatrack does).

If you are asking, why anyone should care about Mormon literature as Mormon literature, then the answer is the same as for any genre, category or discourse.

Mormon literature is of interest to some Mormons because Mormon authors who write it draw upon materials and experiences that are of interest to us and in so doing; hopefully, illumante some aspect or aspects of the Mormon experience.

It really is a rather tautological question an answer. Once could do the same thing with speculative fiction.

Why should I care about speculative fiction? Because I am interested in and accept the discourse boundaries of the genre -- the forms that are acceptable, the questions it asks, the style(s) of the writing, the worldviews it draws upon, etc. -- the fundamental principles that form it as a genre.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Zal, thanks, I think you've introduced me to a new addiction (Popcorn Popping)!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pleased to hear it.

A lot of people put a fair amount of time into it (I'm one of them, but I've been slacking of late) so it's always gratifying to hear from people who understand and support what we are trying to do. Major credit goes to our authors, of course, who really have put their trust in us editors, considering that it's such a new, different venture for the world of Mormon arts and culture and, more especially, considering that we allow folks to comment on the work we publish. :-)

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.