FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Omen

Author Topic: The Omen
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone seeing the remake? Anyone already seen it?

I wonder if that little kid is going to grow up with issues. [Razz] I also can't quite get over Julia Stiles being in it; I still think of her as the teen movie queen.

At any rate, I want to see it, but I'm not sure if I should. I haven't seen the old one. One of my friends told me that this new one is essentially a line-for-line, frame-for-frame copy of the original.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
It looked like a very close remake of the original, from the trailers. I really adore the original for many reasons, so I don't feel the need to see the new one, considering there isn't much different. Especially since what worked for the old on was the grainy, seventies-ness of it [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it (and probably won't thanks to the R rating)

I saw the previews though. I was surprised too that Julia Stiles is in it. It doesn't seem like this is the kind of movie she normally does.

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
JenniK is seeing it tonight with some friends. I wasn't interested in it at all, despite Julia Stiles ( [Smile] ), so she went with some people from Disney.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it this morning at about 7am. Even though you sort of know it sucks while you're watching it, it's entertaining as can be. I *particularly* liked the evil dogs. I wished it had been longer, and told more from the point-of-view of the boy than of his parents. To me, the really interesting story would have been to explore the question: how does a kid react when he realizes he's the anti-christ and has creepy powers? How did Jesus react when he realized he was Jesus? Or did he just always know? Was there a process of having to come to understand and accept his purpose? Do the same story, only evil -- that would have been fascinating. A lot of critics hate this remake. I think it's going to be one of those movies that critics hate but audiences enjoy.

I didn't see the original.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
The previews for the original scared the living carp out of me. I never actually saw the movie. I don't imagine I'll see this one either, but you never know.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from watching it.

I really enjoyed watching it- (haven't seen the original) and I really liked looking at the interesting color schemes and whatnot (use of red).

However, I didn't like it simply because it was too depressing. I realize that there would probably be no other way for the movie to be and to end. But it was still too depressing- I just wanted to shoot myself in the face afterwards.

(I think I'm about to watch a feel-good movie anyways)

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just wanted to shoot myself in the face afterwards
Now there's a quote for the back of the DVD case!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
It moved a lot faster than the original. Julia Stiles acted her worst (and I usually like her). I wasn't convinced that the boy was evil. There were some "jump into your neighbor's lap" moments, which are always fun. Not sure where they were going with some of the ideas (why some people had the 666 mark and others didn't). Overall, I was entertained. Don't count on it winning any awards though.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F.M. Swamp Fox
Member # 9480

- posted      Profile for F.M. Swamp Fox           Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw it. I'm curious to know how we could examine the feelings of the child as he "realizes" he is the anti-christ. I would assume that if someone was the anti-christ, there would be a certain amount of evil in them that would leave them rather incapable of stopping to think: why am I evil? It seems as if he is in fact the son of the devil, wouldn't he instead just know it and enjoy as an extension of the evil that is already him. Does a dog realize he is a dog? Is it not the prescence of choice, and the capacity for good that gives us the oppurtunity to realize how evil we are? Therefore, there are no emotions to explore, instead there is only the evil which is what the movie does.

P.S. - I like the actor that played the reporter, he's always fun to watch.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
eh, it was terribe. If it really was a close copy of the original, then I bet it was terrible too.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F.M. Swamp Fox
Member # 9480

- posted      Profile for F.M. Swamp Fox           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the original was a bit more frightening, but that may have been the vintage black and white that left me with general discomfort.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Black and white? I don't remember the original being in black and white...
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Swamp Fox isn't making sense.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To me, the really interesting story would have been to explore the question: how does a kid react when he realizes he's the anti-christ and has creepy powers?
The Omen II tried to do just that. However, I personally do not believe that a child could be destined to be the world's great evil. At some point, in my philosophy, it would have to come down to personal choice, if one is to believe in such a thing as a loving God. And what kind of choice is a child supposed to have when he's left to be raised by a satanic nanny and everyone who might be in a position to influence him for good is systematically killed by supernatural forces? But then again, I suppose nobody really looks at these types of movies as a dipiction of how things are really supposed to play out in real life. . .

do they? [Angst]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe.

I think (I'm talking about the original, I haven't seen and won't see the new version) that the creepy part of the boy's character is that you just DON'T KNOW what's going on in his head. There's this little child saying things and knowing things and we only know the half of it. Why ruin the mystique?

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.