FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Read this thread with a side of coffee

Author Topic: Read this thread with a side of coffee
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Australian Scientists find caffeine makes us more susceptable to suggestion

Interesting results. I was unable to find a link to the exact study, but it seemed as if it was done fairly well. One thing that I found a little funny was having the people rate themselves on how much their opinion changed, but with that many people and blind tests, it was probably fairly valid. I'd be interested to see if the same results occur in future studies.

Meanwhile, if you're drinking a coffee right now, send me all your money....

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry BQT, it's Decaff =)
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Could it have something to do with the fact that when you drink caffeine you tend to pay attention more?
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Sorry BQT, it's Decaff =)

Doh! I figured it would be decaf this time in the afternoon (even for us Pacific TimeZone folks), but it was worth a try.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm drinking regular coffee right now, and I'm not going to send you any money.

At least I don't think I'm going to. Maybe after a couple more cups....

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stasia
Member # 9122

- posted      Profile for Stasia   Email Stasia         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm. Coffee.
Posts: 82 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

Drink up then Papa Moose. You deserve a little more. My mailing address is....
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
Could it have something to do with the fact that when you drink caffeine you tend to pay attention more?

That isn't the affect caffeine has on me at all.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's that it constricts the blood vessels so not enough oxygen can get to the brain and the thought processes are more limited.

But why should I believe that to be a reasonable conclusion if I arrived at it while drinking coffee? Hmmm....

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
General Foods International Coffees not only make you highly suggestable ("It tastes just like that coffee we had at that Parisian cafe!"), it also causes you to lose 3 IQ points every time you drink a cup of it.

Really?

Uh, yeah. Suuuure it does.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
The actual study is here. It was published (as indicated in the article) in the European Journal of Social Psychology, its currently in early view section.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
General Foods International Coffees not only make you highly suggestible ("It tastes just like that coffee we had at that Parisian cafe!"), it also causes you to lose 3 IQ points every time you drink a cup of it.

Uh oh. I'm in BIG trouble.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you mean:

quote:
Uh oh. Bad, bad! Me!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.