FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Can you hear this ringtone? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Can you hear this ringtone?
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Taking advantage of the fact that one's ability to percieve high pitched sounds diminishes with age, someone developed a ringtone that only people under about 35 can hear clearly.

If you can't hear it, don't worry! You can use it as a kid-repellent. [Smile]

Link, and an MP3 of the sound.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately I can hear that perfectly. It made my head want to explode!
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 47, I've played drums in rock bands since my early teens.

I've also suffered a few serious ear infections after scuba diving.

I can hear that tone easily (and annoyingly).

I'm actually looking forward to the day that I can no longer hear the high-frequency tones emitted by some door sensors (admittedly, those are probably no longer on the market, but there's still a few old ones around).

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I'd gone prematurely deaf, before I realised that my computer was set on mute! Yikes, but that's a horrible noise. Finger nails, meet blackboard. Ugh. [Angst]
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like the noise hearing aids make when they're turned up too high. Now both old and young people can sqeal annoyingly in public!
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Gahhhhh.

Although if that were my ringtone, it would get lost in the many OTHER high-pitched sounds I can hear. Like you know those scanner things they put to make sure people don't walk out of places with things? They have them by the doors of our library, and I wince every time I walk through them.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
They just did that on the news. I didn't hear it, Amanda did. I didn't feel old until that moment. [Frown]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, pH. Can you hear bats' echolocation pulses?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

I can. Bat whistles are cute.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I can hear it.

Ask me again after a few more years of my daughter shrieking in my ear. [Smile]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
My mom just sent me that link. She couldn't hear it but my brother (18) said she had it turned up so loud that he could hear across the house. I heard it and it hurt my ears so badly that eyes started to water.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Bella Bee, you think so? They make my head...not hurt, exactly, but not not hurt either. And they're a little disorienting (which is kind of ironic).

Of course, the disorienting aspect could be the fact that they always wake me at 4 in the morning needing to be captured and released back into the great outdoors.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't hear it but I could tell there was a sound because my cat got very wide eyed, her ears perked up and she turned toward me like, "what the heck was that?"
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Noemon - Yeah, I like bat-watching on summer nights, so it helps that I can hear where they are. They don't come indoors often though. We do have a robin who likes to fly around the house. Luckily, he's bright enough to find his own way back out again.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Guess I'm old and deaf. I think I'll go try it out on the cats. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm over 40, and I heard it just fine. Obnoxious noise, that.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
Gahhhhh.

Although if that were my ringtone, it would get lost in the many OTHER high-pitched sounds I can hear. Like you know those scanner things they put to make sure people don't walk out of places with things? They have them by the doors of our library, and I wince every time I walk through them.

-pH

I was going to say the EXACT same thing... Crazy.

Ours are so bad that I sidle up to them and hop through with my eyes shut. People walk in and out without even noticing, but I can't stand it.

On a related note- my parents once bought me one of those sharper image air purifiers. It worked fine, but the bonus bathroom purifier, when heated up, emitted a ghastly high pitched whine. My parents where constantly plugging it back into the wall and I was constantly being drawn from all corners of the house to explain that I couldn't stand the sound it was making. My parents didn't believe me, which is suprising since I could sense when the thing had been plugged in. I eventually threw it away.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 17. And ow.

I hear that noise whenever i'm in the same room as a TV that's on but without noise. It's really annoying. I mean, I can often tell if a TV is on without anything playing from several rooms away because of high pitched whiney noises like that.

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
...that's awful. It's the exact same sound that keeps you awake when you've been playing in a drum line all day without earplugs and your band camp's in the middle of nowhere so there's absolute silence at night.

Aww, now it's making me a bit nostalgic.

/band geekiness

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Kaczmarczyk
Member # 9067

- posted      Profile for Robin Kaczmarczyk   Email Robin Kaczmarczyk         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, deffinitive
Posts: 379 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm twenty-one. I hear it, but not enough for it to be annoying. Wow, do I feel old. or hearing-impaired. Maybe it's genetic. My cousin had a hearing aid for a while cuz he couldn't hear high pitched sounds.. I think he stopped using it since there aren't that many sounds like that for him to hear anyway.
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Youch. Painful. Almost like someone drilling in my brain (without the extreme pain, of course). It sounds like a particularly annoying computer screen that requires a good whack to stop it from whistling. Or the television when it's on a blue screen.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

[Wink]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 16 and I hear it loud and clear. But it doesn't really hurt my ears/head. It's the sound that Mr. Funny described that I am in pain over.

When I hear our TV just humming happily, it's so tempting to take a meat tenderizer to it... or just turn it off.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
At first I heard nothing. So I turned up the volume on my computer. Nasty little whine.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Why did I even click? I mean, people have already said it's annoying, etc., etc., but I still had to check it! It hurtses us, yeeess, it does...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks alot. Now I have that song stuck in my head.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Drilling a small hole just behind the left ear will allow it to escape.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a song?
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 33 and I didn't hear a thing. (Though after I cranked the volume on my headphones all the way up I ended up with a mild headache.)
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
Noemon - Yeah, I like bat-watching on summer nights, so it helps that I can hear where they are. They don't come indoors often though. We do have a robin who likes to fly around the house. Luckily, he's bright enough to find his own way back out again.

[Smile] I haven't officially gone bat watching in ages. Last summer, though, I did see the occasional bat flying around the streetlight in my yard, filling up on bugs. That was fun. The best place I've ever watched bats is the Congress Ave. Bridge in Austin, TX.
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm only 17 and I can't hear it. I had to have grommets in my ears two different times in my life, at 5 and 10, to fix my hearing before. This is really worrying me. [Frown]

Edit to add: I did the same thing as Shmuel; turned it all the way up and now have a mild headache, and yet I didn't hear a sound.

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Katarain:
There was a song?

No, but I think there was a joke involved somewhere.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard it just fine. Didn't really give me a headache- but the speakers on this computer just suck- and can't be turned up loud anyways because of that.

Actually the age isn't under 35- I read somewhere else about how kids are using cell phones in school with this ringtone so that teachers can't hear- and it's supposedly like around the age of 50-60 is when they lose the ability to hear it.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
The graph alongside the New York Times article claims that it's too high for most people past their teens.

Note: Experimenting by Chris Bridges suggests that iTunes automatically transposes it down to a more widely audible level, while Windows Media Player does not.

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait until I'm too old to hear it. It made me feel bad. And it was very soft, so soft, in fact, that I can't imagine it being used as a cell phone ring. I would never hear it, so I don't think I was hearing it at its full volume.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
This story was linked (from a British site) through one of the blogs I follow. And while I had to crank my sound to hear anything, once it got loud enough, I found myself in serious agony. My 12 year old was also covering her ears trying to block it out. The cats? Not a thing.

I also pick up on random electronic squeals from time to time that nobody else around me hears. And I'm often not near an obvious source when it happens.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
I also pick up on random electronic squeals from time to time that nobody else around me hears. And I'm often not near an obvious source when it happens.

This often happens to people who have been abducted by aliens. You see, they implanted a transceiver in your head, and you are picking up the alien signals. Make sure to send a card and some flowers to the mother ship on Mother's Day.
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
My Mom's Palm Pilot makes this type of sound and I can't stand to be near when she has it on (without exception during church [Roll Eyes] )
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Note: Experimenting by Chris Bridges suggests that iTunes automatically transposes it down to a more widely audible level, while Windows Media Player does not. [/QB]
Strange, I downloaded it to iTunes and brought my laptop to school to test it out. It worked fine; I gave a lot of students headaches and made the teachers feel old.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom walked up the stairs when I had it going, saying that her hearing aids just started buzzing but it wasn't the battery low noise. I turned it off.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I can hear it (it don't hurt though) and I'm 32. My mom can't. I had a TV that makes that sound. Drove me crazy. I was so glad when I got an LCD.

Edit to add: my cat heard it. She went walking around looking for it (or to get away from it, seeing that she left the room...)

[ June 13, 2006, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: human_2.0 ]

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:

This often happens to people who have been abducted by aliens. You see, they implanted a transceiver in your head, and you are picking up the alien signals. Make sure to send a card and some flowers to the mother ship on Mother's Day.
That wasn't the mother ship, that was Newark...
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I could hear it. Perfectly fine.

Ask me in a few more years, after working on all these electronics devices that emit HF sounds...

And like Mr. Funny, my ears are a built-in TV detector. Or CRT detector, if you wish. [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I tried it again, this time with the dogs around. Xavier could barely hear it but both dogs bolted out of the room.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

You know, it's really hard for me to describe the sounds of certain songs/albums to people because they just don't hear it. Like, when they compress songs (like for radio and so forth), it drives me up a wall. Completely up a wall. It just sounds so FLAT. I can't get caught up in a song unless it sounds really, really full. Does anyone else notice this sort of thing? I think maybe that's one of the reasons I really, really can't stand playing my mp3s with an FM transmitter or something.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You can here a wider range of high-pitched sounds here. Select Mosquito Tones, and preview sounds at 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20 kHz.

I can hear up through 16 kHz well, 17 sort of, and the Mosquito tone. Not the upper three pitches, though.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I can hear all of 'em, but the upper ones I hear more like....a kind of pressure in my ear, sort of? Like I hear them, but I also feel them.

But I also think maybe my ears just aren't popping.

-pH

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard it, but only in one ear, and now I have a ringing in that ear. Also, my eardrum is irritated.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like a migraine only an octive higher...
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, I could hear the 14 and 15 kHz ones, and they HURT. I could also hear the mosquito one but not the others.

Oh, and earlier I said I couldn't hear the original link. That's not entirely true--I could tell that there was a sound, but it was nearly inaudible and didn't bother me. I actually have a high-pitched ringing in my ears a lot of the time, although it isn't irritating and I don't usually notice it, so I don't think it's tinn . . .itus (however you spell that). Anyway, the original link sounded like that to me--in other words, almost like silence, but I could tell something was there. But I wouldn't notice it if it was a cell phone ring. On the other hand, he lower-frequency mosquito ringtones I'd notice.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.