FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Boy Meets World

Author Topic: Boy Meets World
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a confession to make- I'm a 17 year old male whose favorite TV show of all time was the little "family sitcom" named Boy Meets World.

Does anybody else remember this show aside from myself?

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I heart Shawn.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
That was a wonderful show. Feeney was amazing. And poor Morgen she kept getting forgotten.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I missed some inner show explanation, but what the heck does Topenga mean? That is just the oddest name ever.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really familiar with the show, but is it possible that she's named for Topanga Canyon?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

There was no in-show explanation. I think they just chose that because she was "the weird girl" from Season 1 who eventually just became a major character. She had a forgotten sister whose full name was Nebula Stop the War Lawrence- so... it was supposed to be she had really odd parents who passed down their weirdness to their kids.

Shawn is amazing- his struggles and then the Cory-Topanga thing are my favorite aspects of the show- the dramtic plot arcs that is.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I luved the show as well. I loved how you got to watch them grow up with each season [Big Grin]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Her parents were hippies, but for some reason when Topanga was in college they became normal and divorced.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I know a single person who didn't adore that show. It was so awesome watching them grow up WITH us! I get warm fuzzies thinking about the characters.

And I NEVER get warm fuzzies [Smile]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Our class president quoted that show at our graduation yesterday.

I can't even remember what the quote was.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Leisha Hailey was in my favourite episode.
She kept singing at people.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to marry Danielle Fishel when I was younger.

I love that show, have the first three seasons on DVD, and can't wait for the next few to come out.

It's a great show, and it cracks me up like few others can.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
The principal was always there.
That was rather annoying.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

Mr. Feeney was like the wise guru of the show- it just wouldn't have been the same without him. He was the one who connected the episodic situation with the larger scheme of life- and therefore kept the scope of the show around the coming-of-age story of "Boy Meets World"

In the pilot episode he sets the pattern for the rest of the series when Cory's in detention and Feeney tells him about how the greatest force in the world is all-consuming power of love- something that Cory at his age doesn't understand. Which indeed is the most basic lesson that is learned throughout the rest of the show. And the show ends with Feeney- he gets the last words: "I love you all. Class Dismissed."

We can see Feeney throughout the show embracing his love for his students that he tries so resolutely to deny that everybody knows exist.

I would daresay that without Feeney the show could not exist that it as easily take out Cory as it could him.

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Feeney ROCKS. He had the perfect voice for the role, and you always feel for him when he is trying to make the students understand or do something.

quote:
The principal was always there.
That was rather annoying.

Ehh... Boy Meets World has *nothing* on Full House in terms of "heres-a-life-lesson-now-lets-all-hug" moments.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Maybe more strange than annoying. He was also their high school principal. Odd.
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

She had a forgotten sister whose full name was Nebula Stop the War Lawrence- so... it was supposed to be she had really odd parents who passed down their weirdness to their kids.

Shawn actually had a forgotton sister too. He borrowed some hair product from her to try to straighten Cory's hair.
quote:
Maybe more strange than annoying. He was also their high school principal. Odd.
Well he started out as their elementry school teacher, so that's probably even weirder.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Woah, and I totally read that as "And the Principle was always there" instead of Principal. This is what happens when I go two days without caffeine.
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved this show with a passion. It's on every weekday at 2-3 on ABC Family.

Not that I would know that or anything.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MyrddinFyre:
I don't think I know a single person who didn't adore that show. It was so awesome watching them grow up WITH us! I get warm fuzzies thinking about the characters.

And I NEVER get warm fuzzies [Smile]

*raises hand

I am glad that other people got so much out of the show, but when I'd flip past it on television, it was like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. However, from what I can tell, this was an idiosyncratic response.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Ohh, I get that feeling from Full House, Seventh Heaven, and Seinfeld *laugh*... I know what you mean. I think the thing about Boy Meets World that made me like it so much was that the main characters were almost as young as I was, and so I could really connect with them without feeling patronized or insulted (as with shows like Saved By the Bell).
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
And I was older, so I had the other reaction. I never watched more than two or three shows all the way through, though, and when I did, I was home sick. *smile

So doubtless it was a biased vantagepoint anyway.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
As I said earlier I'm not really familiar with the show, but like CT I have seen an episode here and there. I was older when I saw it though; it was generally something that the younger sister of a girlfriend would have on when I was over at their house. What I saw of it grated on my nerves too. We weren't the target audience, though; it looks like it did a very good job of reaching the people it's creators aimed to reach.

I remember when I was a kid thinking that The Man From Atlantis was an absolutely wonderful show. Five years or so ago I happened to catch an episode on TV Land or Sci Fi or something. Horrible, horrible stuff to an adult's sensibilities, but it worked really well for who I was at one time.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
What happened to Minkus?
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Left the show. I think he was only there for what, a single season? Maybe two. Maybe he went to a different high school.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
No, they covered that near the end of high school. He walks up to them briefly, and they express bewilderment as to where he's been. He says something like "Over There", and points at the region always off camera, down the hallway. They all look that way and go ". . . oohhhhhhhh!"
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Minkus showed up near the end. The main reason he disappeared is after season two he got cast as a more major character on another show. Of course that show didn't survive long.
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

His regular appearance was in Season 1, and was forgotten about until the last 1 or 2 episodes of season 5. Where he came up and said that he was in the "other" part of the school (as he points off screen and shouts out for Mr. Turner to wait up (he was written off through a motorcycle bike accident)) and then his only other role is to provide some last minute competition for Topanga to get Valedictorian.
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Boy Meets World, I do not think I missed a single episode. I still enjoy watching it on ABC Family whenever I catch it on.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Good show. Seasons 1-3 on DVD on Netflix, if anyone is interested.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I did love the "Over there!" bit . . .

That was my favorite show, growing up. I guess I was just in the right age group. And besides, Topanga was always too awesome.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm told ABC Family won't show two episodes, one where Shawn chokes Angela, and another when Corey drinks and his father goes bucknutty on him and Shawn.

I don't have them on dvd yet.

theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy Meets World is quite unforgotten.

I have to say, it's odd to see my 11 year old sister watch the shows I used to on Disney Channel reruns. She's also a Full House fan thanks to ABC family. It's really odd.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Full House is too grating for me to watch now. If I want a more modern take on that kind of saccharine, I'll watch Seventh Heaven, Full House's evil offspring.
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Boy Meets World was the best show. And Mr. Feeny, oh Mr. Feeny.

My friend and I learned the secret handshake that Corey and Shawn do in Season 1 before they get too "cool" to do it anymore. And we learned it a year ago, in my college dorm hallway. I think my suitemate got annoyed because we were making so much noise playing the scene over and over. Hee.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

Yah- my friend and I lerned the handshake too.

I know Disney Channel wouldn't air three episodes- the one where Cory and Shawn get drunk, the one where Angela and Shawn hook up "no strings attatched", and the Prom episode where Cory rented a hotel room.

kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh the Disney Channel... The drunk one is a pretty decent episode, IMO.

My faves are in Season 2, with the 7 minutes in heaven game and the one where Topanga and Corey end up sleeping in the video editing room overnight.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.