FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Scanner Darkly (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A Scanner Darkly
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who's frothing at the mouth to see this movie? When I realized it was coming out Friday, I was just incredibly happy.

I'm not a fan of Keanu, but I love Philip K. Dick. And it just LOOKS cool. I want to read the book, but at the same time, I kind of want to see the movie first. Because I've read a lot of his books already, and I dunno, this just seems like one I should see on the big screen first.

Especially since drugs are involved. I read one of his descriptions of an acid trip, and it scared me to death. It is, quite honestly, the most frightening thing I've ever read. So I really don't want to leave my mind to its own devices with this one. [Razz]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I was very excited when I saw a poster for this a couple of weeks ago, because I have loved everything I've read by Dick, I've always heard this particular book talked about highly, and I harbor a not-so-hidden crush on Winona Ryder. [Wink]

So I went out and bought the book. I'm about two-thirds of the way through it . . . and I pretty much hate it. [Frown] Previously, I'd read a couple of his novels and at least a couple dozen of his short stories. I considered his only rival when it came to writing short stories that blew my mind to be OSC. But I hate pretty much every character in this book, and I find it depressing. In my opinion, this might be a case where this book is overrated because of how enamored of Dick the drug counterculture of the sixties and beyond was.

I expect I will still see this movie, but . . . [Dont Know]

[ July 02, 2006, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
What??? Last I read it was coming out in October!!!
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
It reminded me, visually, of Waking Life. So now I pretty much have to see it.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
It WAS coming out in October, I found out it wasn't when I saw the book in the book store yesterday... they were all stocked up on a new edition that announced it was Now A Major Motion Picture. I was surprised. I'm excited to see it, if not because I am in love with PKD's stuff, then because all I need in a movie is cool visuals to make me like it [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I think if you loved Philip K. Dick you'd be dreading this piece of crap.

Well, that's my feeling, anyway.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Why? I loved Imposter. Minority Report was all right. Blade Runner ain't bad, either, although it's a little slow for me.

But Imposter is my favorite movie of all time.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Well, I've read the book many times. And this looks absolutely pathetic, as an adaptation -- like they completely missed the point.

"7 years in the future, the government will be watching us all..."

Uh -- huh?

It sounds like you're more a fan of movies based on the writing of Philip K. Dick, rather than on the writing itself? Just curious...

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

No, I've read a ton of his books. Actually, I don't think I've read any of his stories from which movies have been made. I think my favorite is Lies, Inc.

And in all honesty, from the last trailer I saw, it doesn't look like "the government is watching us all." It looks like a reality-bending kinda thing, which, from what I know about the book, is pretty much on the money.

-pH

Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
So explain to me how the title is remotely grammatically correct?
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Explain how it isn't. It's the title of something, not a declarative sentence.
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
The original quote that the title is based on comes from the Bible:

For now we see through a glass, darkly ...

Clearly, "darkly" is an adverb modifying the verb "to see". The grammar is just fine. Your confusion stems from the fact that the quote is truncated to remove the verb, and you didn't get the reference [Smile]

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwen
Member # 9551

- posted      Profile for Gwen           Edit/Delete Post 
A scanner darkly stalked through the door of the computer parts store and angrily shot all of the employees for oppressing computer hardware and peripherals.
See, that made perfect sense, grammatically.

The only book of his I've read is Ubik. Then again, that's the only book of his I've ever gotten the chance to read.

Posts: 283 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Ohhh, I love that one. If I still hadn't had so much of his I need to read, I'd say it was my favorite.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the title. It's evocative.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by MyrddinFyre:
Ohhh, I love that one. If I still hadn't had so much of his I need to read, I'd say it was my favorite.

Really. What do you find likeable about it?
(Warn before spoiling the ending.)

Does it get better? Because halfway through, I think it sucks big time.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Ohh, from what I remember theres a big difference between the first and second half. I liked all the different people who were mooshed together into this grand conspiracy that they don't understand. I thought it was interesting how everything is explained. I actually don't remember specific reasons/explanations, it has been a while since I've read it.

But also, it seems that our taste in movies and books tends to differ, so I'm not sure if you'd enjoy the rest [Smile]

Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
<- could not get into Ubik.

Actually, i've had trouble getting into *all* the Philip K. Dick stories i've started. Except, for some reason, Radio Free Albemuth, which i just loved and sped right through.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by MyrddinFyre:
But also, it seems that our taste in movies and books tends to differ, so I'm not sure if you'd enjoy the rest [Smile]

Why do you think our tastes differ? I asked you specifically because it surprised me to see you claiming a book I'm not enjoying as a favorite.

-o-

Leo, I enjoyed Radio Free Albemuth a great deal as well. Have you read Dick's short stories?

Leonide
Member # 4157

No, but i think i'd probably like them...most of the movies of his are based off the short stories, no? I know "Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep" is Blade Runner...
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

That's strange, Icky, cause I feel like every time I've said I enjoyed something, you've said you didn't, or vice versa! I specifically remember this about Les Miserables... I know there was a book or author too and a movie and I really wish now that I remember what they were >.< Maybe this is just a strange and irrational impression my brain made up. Who knows!
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I might be wrong here, but kind of sounds like Myrddin and Icarus are talking about different books.

When Myr said "Ohhh, I love that one." I thought she (he?) was referring to Ubik, which Gwen mentioned in the previous post. Then it sounds like Icarus is referring to A Scanner Darkly, because of his aforementioned dislike of the first half of the book.

Of course, I probably have this all wrong, but just suggesting it.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Ah, you may be right. I was definitely talking about A Scanner Darkly.

Myrd, it's true I don't like Les Miserables, but I have very specific tastes in musicals, and there's a lot of stuff that is widely beloved that I don't care for, like most ALW, and like Into the Woods. But we both like musicals, as a genre at least, and we both like Disney. (And didn't you say you loved Wicked?)

Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by Leonide:
No, but i think i'd probably like them...most of the movies of his are based off the short stories, no? I know "Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep" is Blade Runner...

Yes, but DADoES? is a novel.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
A very short one. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Paycheck was a short story. I have one of the 5 volumes that has all of his short stories and it's in it. It was very different from the movie, though I didn't really like the movie to begin with and I did enjoy the story.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

quote:
Ah, you may be right. I was definitely talking about A Scanner Darkly.
D'oh! Oops... yes, I was referring to Ubik [Smile] I have not read A Scanner Darkly, I've picked it up a few times in the bookstore and flipped through but couldn't get myself interested.

Hehe, yes, I have a definitely soft spot for musicals and Disney. I have never read nor seen Wicked (yet), though I've heard a song or two. They were out of context so it really isn't enough for me to have an opinion yet *grin*

Forum confusion makes me miss chat!

Leonide
Member # 4157

Yeah, i found out Androids was a novel when i did a search this afternoon...I think Greg always insinuated (though probably didn't directly state, knowing me) that it was one of his short stories, so that's probably where i got my (wrong) impression [Smile]
TL
Member # 8124

This thread pains me. Guys, guys, guys.

*shakes head*

Kids today.... How little they seem to know about the work of Philip K. Dick. In my day, we read Philip K. Dick while walking to school in the snow.

tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
Watched it recently. It's very good, better then I expected. Robert Downey Jr. is very good in it, and even Keanu turns in an interesting performance. The movie intentionally becomes confusing - for the audience and the characters - at a certain point (you'll know it when you get to that stretch) in an attempt to show how disorienting the technology that is in question makes things.

I was pleasently suprised and I found the "jumpiness" of the production method led to a sort of off-kilter feeling which really enforced the story.

The movie does have it's flaws, some characters go too over the top in order to make their point and come off as though they are in a CDROM game or something, not a hollywood movie. (Woody Harrelson).

Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
even Keanu turns in an interesting performance
A sign of the Apocalypse?

-pH

Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by TL:

*shakes head*

Kids today.... How little they seem to know about the work of Philip K. Dick. In my day, we read Philip K. Dick while walking to school in the snow.

[Confused]
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
Am I the only one who's frothing at the mouth to see this movie? When I realized it was coming out Friday, I was just incredibly happy.

When I went to pick up comics on Monday (I know, Monday?), they had a graphic novel version of the book, done either in the style of the movie, or actually using frames from the movie.

I can't wait to see it, though I'll be honest: that wasn't one of my favorite Dick books. I liked Ubik and The Man in the High Tower and Puppet Masters a lot more.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
quote:
even Keanu turns in an interesting performance
A sign of the Apocalypse?
It's happened before.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by TL:

*shakes head*

Splitting rails the whole way. Uphill in both directions.
TL
Member # 8124

quote:
The Man in the High Tower
Oh my God.

Please stop it.

Ugh. I'm sure you'll all love the movie.

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

[Laugh] TL. I think the book is called "The Man in the High Castle"
TL
Member # 8124

You think so?
TL
Member # 8124

Every time somebody makes one of these Philip K. Dick movies where they seem to completely miss the point of what Philip K. Dick was writing and of who he was, an angel loses its wings.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Are you in a bad mood?
TL
Member # 8124

For the record, no real Philip K. Dick movies have been made.

The closest thing I think we've ever had to a real PKD movie was 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind'.

TL
Member # 8124

No, I'm in a fine mood. I just get aggravated when all those perfectly good angels have to lose their wings for no reason.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TL:

Uh -- huh?

That quote from the trailer raised an eyebrow with me as well, but I'm hoping that it's a case of the people who made the trailer trying to sell it quickly rather than an accurate representation of the movie. It definitely sounded more like trailer-voiceover than a line of dialogue. I'll be seeing the movie, though I don't think there's ever been a movie based on Dick that was as good as the original story.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by TL:

Uh -- huh?

That quote from the trailer raised an eyebrow with me as well, but I'm hoping that it's a case of the people who made the trailer trying to sell it quickly rather than an accurate representation of the movie. It definitely sounded more like trailer-voiceover than a line of dialogue. I'll be seeing the movie, though I don't think there's ever been a movie based on Dick that was as good as the original story.

--Enigmatic

I again point out that the second trailer I saw had nothing to do with "the government will be watching us all."

At any rate, TL, don't blow a gasket.

This is why when I know a cool-looking movie is coming out that's based on a book I haven't read, I wait to read the book until after I see the movie. So that I can enjoy the movie without picking it apart. Then I read the book and think, "Wow, the movie would've been so much cooler if they'd included that, or done this..."

Oh, man. What was the title of the book about the doctor who gets taken into the future? I liked that one. And the Zap Gun. Pretty much the only one I haven't liked is Man in the High Castle.

-pH

Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, man. What was the title of the book about the doctor who gets taken into the future?
Dr. Futurity, I believe. I haven't read it, but I actually just saw it in the library today. Upon further investigation, it appears to be one of the last of his novels to be reprinted in the new trade paperback format. It looks pretty good, but I picked up Counter-clock World instead. Sure, I could've got them both, but I like to spread out the Philip K. Dick goodness over time.

I'm looking forward to the movie, and have been following its progress ever since it was in pre-production. I even started a couple threads about it, but they didn't get much of a response. I'm glad to see that the movie is getting more attention now, but I imagine it will do poorly in the box office. Ah well, hopefully they at least make a profit.

[ July 06, 2006, 01:14 AM: Message edited by: Fitz ]

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
This and "The Fountain" have been my most anticipated movies for quite a long time. And frustratingly they've each been pushed back forever. The problem when movies keep getting pushed back is that the anticipation keeps building and building, and I'm hoping the movies don't disappoint. So far I trust both directors completely...well, I haven't seen Bad News Bears yet.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

I realize that emotion is clouding my judgement on this issue. For the record, I should admit that A Scanner Darkly has been my favorite novel for a long time.
Icarus
Member # 3162

I'm just wondering where I displayed any ignorance of Philip K. Dick to merit the scorn present in "Ugh. I'm sure you'll all love the movie." [Dont Know]
pH
Member # 1350

So A Scanner Darkly is apparently not being released in New Orleans. At all, as far as I can tell.

[Cry] [Cry] [Cry] [Cry]

-pH

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Tragedy! [Frown]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.