FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Computer? Hello, computer!

Author Topic: Computer? Hello, computer!
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Please explain this to me.

I unplugged my laptop and put it in my room because I had all this new furniture delivered, and I didn't want it to get in the way.

Today, I finally had my cable installed.

When the guy turned on my computer, I realized that ALL OF MY STUFF IS GONE. My pictures, music, documents, everything!

WHAT HAVE I DONE?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
How was it organized? Was it all in a single folder - e.g. "My Documents" with its various subfolders?

Was it on a separate hard drive that could have been damaged / wiped?

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Or did you log in under a different profile, which made everything appear to disappear?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Everything was in this hard drive. In "My Documents." It's like, all of my programs are still on it. But all of my media stuff and my papers and everything are GONE! GONE, I SAY!

It's like it's being a brand new computer, but with Firefox and Napster and VLC media player and stuff on it.

And I only have one profile. I don't even have a guest account activated.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Do a search for MyDocuments. It's possible that the folder got moved.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Any chance someone else messed with it?
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Not unless the cable guy messed with it, but why would he do that? The only other person who's been in my bedroom is my boyfriend.

Bwar. I can't find it! I have a My Documents folder...it's just empty. It's so weird! It reset my desktop settings and stuff, too.

-pH

TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

pH,
Do a find, and look for *.whatever extension file you're looking for. The files could have been moved somehow.

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

It only found the documents in the recycle bin...which are ones that I put there a few weeks ago. The rest of my documents are gone! [Frown]

-pH

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Ask the cable company if you continue not finding anything, just in case.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Also, it can never be said too many times:

Make sure you have up-to-date virus protection running on your computer.

pH
Member # 1350

Gah. I can't find any of it! Now I'm really glad that the management paper I'm putting together is turned in piece-by-piece on Blackboard...I can get that back, at least. Twenty-two pages...

Wouldn't a virus make the computer all like...non-functioning? I mean, it actually seems to be working BETTER, like I can open Internet Explorer (because some pages don't like Firefox) and not get eighty million pop-ups.

But I want my stuff back.

-pH

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Could it be that the relevant folders and files have been marked as hidden? You may already have things set so that hidden files and folders are displayed, but if not, here's how you can set it so that they are:

Open My Documents.
Go to Tools-->Folder Options.
Click on the "View" tab.
In the "Advanced settings" window that occupies the lower 2/3 of the tab, you'll see a folder icon labeled "Hidden files and folders".
Click on the "Show hidden files and folders" radio button.
Click OK.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

If you go into Documents and Settings, what folders are there?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Star Trek IV.

pH wins the funny pop-culture reference of the day award.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Wait, you were getting popups just from opening internet explorer? You had adware/spyware, and it might have deleted your documents (though that would be somewhat unusual behavior). You should always keep your computer free of adware and spyware (and viruses and the like).
pH
Member # 1350

Documents and Settings has:
All Users
Default User
Holland
Holland.Oberon

NOW it's acting kind of strangely...and I kept running all kinds of adware/spyware removing programs, but it never went away!

Now it's telling me that the disk in my C drive is not formatted and asking if I want to format it now.

-pH

fugu13
Member # 2859

Uh, yeah, that's a problem. However, the problem of your disappearing files is likely solved; there likely was a new account created, and its whichever of the Holland and Holland.Oberon that you aren't currently using (or weren't using just now, given that you have deeper problems).
pH
Member # 1350

But when I log off, only one account shows up.

My recycle bin is gone!

Augh. At least I'm due for a new computer soon anyway.

-pH

fugu13
Member # 2859

Look inside both folders and see if your stuff is in one of them.
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
"I know you're in there, computer!"

<laughs with PC>

...no pun intended

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krease
Member # 9536

- posted      Profile for Krease           Edit/Delete Post 
1. Make sure you're showing hidden files.
2. Just do a search for the files. Like Start->Search. If they're there, they'll show up.

Even though you only have one login, there's 4 possible 'My Documents' it might be under from what you posted earlier. On mine, it sometimes ends up in 'Default User' instead of 'Krease' where most of it is. Not sure why.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a very scary thread. I'm a-scared.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
It does sound like a new profile was created for some weird reason. The reason you can see the same old programs is because they were installed to allow for "all users" to access them.

In the Documents and Settings Folder, check both the Holland and Holland.Oberan folders for their own "My Documents" folder tucked away in them. (With all of your stuff! [Smile] )

Just copy the one with your stuff in it, over to the empty My Documents folder and you should be squared away.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
Star Trek IV.

I wanted to mention that, but it would have been the first reply, and it seemed rude to bring it so soon. [Smile]
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Noo-clee-arr Weh-ssels.

It won't let me click on the "Holland" documents. Just Holland.Oberon. It gets all frozen up when I click Holland. And this time it said, "The disk in drive C cannot be formatted."

Bwar, I'll go to Best Buy tomorrow. Or Radio Shack around the corner. [Mad]

-pH

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go with Best Buy.. I dunno how Radio Shack is with software stuff.

And that is definately a great pop culture reference. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Star Trek IV.

That's hello MR. Computer.

Geek test... FAIL!!!

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Best Buy and Radio Shack are both not the place to go if you're going to have them help you with your troubles. For a new computer, Best Buy over Radio Shack any day.
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Star Trek IV.

That's hello MR. Computer.

Geek test... FAIL!!!

Um, no. [Wink] pH had it right the first time.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

You can be, and are wrong. :nanana:
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, a challenge. I have that movie right here ... let me pop it in the VCR.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
VCR!

Geek Test.. FAIL!!!

I've never actually watched star trek, eveything I know about it comes from spoofs or wikipedia.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, VCR, I've had the movie since it first came out, and DVD's didn't exist. Sue me.

Okay, Geek report:

"Computer? ...
Computer? ...
Hello, computer!"

... and pH wins!!!

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
What I believe has happened is some virus/malware/jerk cable guy(Probably not the last, but we're exploring all options here, eh?) has created a new user, shut down your account's ability to log in through the welcome page (which actually just gave me an idea, I'll get back to it in a second), set your original account's files as private, and set the default user as Holland.Oberon.

Anyway, on to my lightbulb [Big Grin] Log in to the computer normally. Click Start->Control Panel->Users Accounts. Select "Change the way users log on or off" then uncheck the box that says "Use the welcome screen" in it. Once that's done, log out of windows and you'll get a prompt to type in a username and password. Type in Holland in username and your password (if you had one) in the other box and hit enter. This *should* log you in with your old account (again, assuming the virus hasn't shut down that account's ability to log in, which is possible). If you can get in this way, you should find all your files and other information sitting where it's supposed to be.

At any rate, it's possible to remove the hard drive from the laptop, connect it to another computer, take administrative access of the locked out files, and restore them. This, of course, is assuming you can find a technician that knows his way around Windows, which isn't going to happen with either Best Buy or Radio Shack. You can *try* to look around at some of the mom'n'pop computer repair shops and see what they can do for you. Personally, I'd suggest getting whatever data you can backed up, reformatting, and getting the data restored. I don't normally recommend formatting, because it's possible to solve almost any problem without it, but it is the cheapest, least time consuming option available.

edit: I find it fitting that I used my 2000th post to address a computer issue *beans self on head for forgetting about the landmark thing*

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Well, I haven't been able to reply to you guys because my computer decided that it no longer wanted to load Windows. It would start loading, then bring me to a screen telling me that the previous load didn't go properly and told me to choose the last boot option (load Windows normally). Then it would start loading and bring me back to the black screen again. So I took it to Best Buy, and the guy said that if the system restore disk didn't work, it'd be a week before they could do a diagnostic. [Frown] And it was going to cost sixty bucks just for that.

So I bought a new laptop for cheap because Best Buy let me finance it because I am no longer a menace to socie-er...creditors.

This way, I can still write my papers and have time to get the other computer fixed without having to spaz out at some poor computer repair guy. And I'm really liking this laptop so far. It's all tiny and light, and it was really inexpensive. It has all the features I wanted on the HP I was building, but for like half the price.

I dub thee Oberon Jr.

-pH

Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
Well, I haven't been able to reply to you guys because my computer decided that it no longer wanted to load Windows. It would start loading, then bring me to a screen telling me that the previous load didn't go properly and told me to choose the last boot option (load Windows normally). Then it would start loading and bring me back to the black screen again. So I took it to Best Buy, and the guy said that if the system restore disk didn't work, it'd be a week before they could do a diagnostic. [Frown] And it was going to cost sixty bucks just for that.

So I bought a new laptop for cheap because Best Buy let me finance it because I am no longer a menace to socie-er...creditors.

This way, I can still write my papers and have time to get the other computer fixed without having to spaz out at some poor computer repair guy. And I'm really liking this laptop so far. It's all tiny and light, and it was really inexpensive. It has all the features I wanted on the HP I was building, but for like half the price.

I dub thee Oberon Jr.

-pH

Did you try selecting the "Use last known settings that worked" thing when booting? Sometimes that works well. But I'm guessing you might actually have a relatively dead hard drive.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Pearce, I think you got totally scammed.

I'm willing to bet that when they hooked you up to your cable connection, they changed your workgroup or domain without realizing it, and thus created a new (probably non-admin) user account. And the Best Buy guys -- they call them the Geek Squad now, which is pretty much a smear on the name of the original Geek Squad, a group of techs from this area who'd make house calls and who were fairly competent until they got bought and neutered by Best Buy -- don't usually know their heads from a hole in the ground. The mere fact that they didn't know how or want to try to fix your system without resorting to the restore CD should have been a tip-off. In general, you should never believe a tech who mentions a restore CD before trying other options.

That said, if you got a good deal on a new laptop, I'm happy for you. But you could probably have gotten a working laptop with all your data on it by taking your machine to a real tech and paying him $30.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:

Okay, Geek report:

"Computer? ...
Computer? ...
Hello, computer!"

... and pH wins!!!

DAMN! I WAS SO SURE!!!! [Wall Bash]

Oh god. I gotta clear my head man. I gotta get out of here! [Confused] [Angst]

Earendil18
Member # 3180

>.>

<.<

:nanana: [Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.