FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My computer won't turn on! :-(

Author Topic: My computer won't turn on! :-(
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all... computer question for anyone that might have an answer... [Smile] ... My computer won't turn on. The little green light in the back where the power cord plugs in flashes when I plug it it. When working properly I know that little green light stays lit and doesn't flash... any ideas????
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
did you try a different outlet?
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Just the monitor or the whole thing?
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it beep at all? If so, in what pattern does it beep?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
What it sounds like you are saying is that you are plugging a cord into the back of your computer and there is a green indicator light near the okug that, when it was working, was continuously on, but now only flashes once when you plug in.

If so, sounds like it might be a power supply issue. I'd recommend replacing the power supply.

---

My computer won't turn me on!

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

I tried several outlets with the same result. The monitor and everything else plugged in at the outlet work just fine. No beeps... just the little flashing light. How do you replace a power supply?
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi babager [Wave] Haven't seen you in ages!

Yeah - sounds like could be power supply. Or else you have a really bad RAM chip (or no RAM) -- but I don't think the light would stay green....

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't know how, you may be better off having someone who knows how doing it. Yuo're going to have to open up your computer and pull and then reattach some wires.

The power supply is the box in the back of the computer that you plug the cord into. To get to it, you need to open up your case. It'll be screwed in and the components of your computer that need power (basically the motherboard and any hard or peripheral drives you have) are going to be plugged into it. If you unplug these wires from the components, unscrew the box, and pop it out, you can put another in its place, screw it it, and then connect the new wires up. It's not terribly difficult, but still, you may want someone more knowledge around at least.

It's also not guaranteed that this will fix your problem. Good luck.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

Hi Farmgirl... I'm still around [Smile] Just busy [Smile]

So is a power supply something I can fix myself or will I need to take it in somewhere???

babager
Member # 6700

Ok.. I know the box your talking about... Can I go to a computer store and buy a power supply? If I take it somewhere and have it repaired is it usually a very expensive repair?
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a power supply issue, Suneun.

You *can* replace the power supply yourself . . except I'm guessing that you have an off-the-shelf computer, like an HP or something. Most of those companies have specially made components, intentionally designed, I believe, to make it impossible for you to replace your own components. A store-bought power supply will not fit in an HP box, for instance. It forces you to go back to the store for any repairs you need.

You can learn to fix virtually anything that goes wrong with a desktop computer. What I did when my power-supply blew for the second time on my HP desktop (many off-the-shelf computers only have one fan, and this may contribute to their power supplies blowing so often) and I didn't want to risk having my hard drive wiped by CompUSA again, as happened the previous time I brought it in . . . is I bought a new power supply and a new box. Then I pulled all the components from my old box and replaced them in my new one. It wasn't easy; there was a lot I had to learn in the process. Luckily, I had another working computer in the house (is this how you are posting?) that I could use to google up useful things like what kind of motherboard I had, and how to jumper the front panel lights, switches, and USB ports to it. So I'm not saying it would be trivial for a novice to do, but you could do it, I think. In the process, in addition to learning a lot, I improved my setup in many ways. My new box has two fans, one for intake and one to pull out hot air, and it also has a CPU fan instead of a stupid heatsink. I also added a second hard drive, which had been sitting useless from a prior broken computer.

Having done this, I now feel a lot more empowered to fix future problems myself. Once you get comfortable fiddling around inside the machine, you can build your own instead of buying an off-the shelf computer, and your computer will fit your needs better and cost less. Or, you could never replace an entire computer at once, and only improve it bit by bit, Borg-like. (Oh, and did I mention my new box had l33t blue lighting?!)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
(This is really, really random and I have a feeling I've asked this before...) babager, did you by any chance attend URI?
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an iBook G4 and it just turned itself off one day and wouldn't come back on. When I checked the battery it was fully charged and when I plugged it in the light would go on like it was getting the power.

I finally just took it in and it just needed a new circuit board or switch board or something like that. I am not sure if you are even talking about a laptop, but I thought it couldn't hurt to present one more option

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Ah, I assumed we were talking about a desktop. If you're talking about a laptop, take it to the store, and I hope you bought an extended warranty. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Dell laptop, and my power supply has gone twice, though it was clear that was the problem. There was beeping and crackling every time I plugged it in, though it was fine on battery. Dell just sent me a new one both times.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

I called the computer store and they said they could order me a HP power supply. It'll cost me about fifty bucks. I've started disconnecting the old one, trying to label the wires so that I'll be able to reconnect the new one. :..lol... I am on this kick lately where I think I can fix things myself, It would help if I was even remotely mechanically inclined... [Big Grin] lol... but I guess everyone has to start somewhere... and the computer is almost 3 years old so I guess it won't be the end of the world if I have to buy a new one. [Big Grin]
babager
Member # 6700

Oh.. MyrddinFrye... Nope never attended URI... [Smile]
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the thing. If it was originally a power supply issue, other components could be damaged. Replacing the power supply might just reveal the other issues.

Hopefully not, but just keep this in mind.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Okay. The only thing is that a regular power supply would run you closer to thirty dollars. Therein lies the scam. You can get a case for $30 on up, and they even have a case that already comes with a power supply for . . . $50.

[Smile]

Icarus
Member # 3162

(btw, the Super LanBoy is the one I have. [Smile] )
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit late on this one, but my computer did almost exactly the same thing as you said yours was doing and it was the power supply. We have this awesome little computer place near us that fixed it for like, 40 bucks or something. Not to brag, but ... [Taunt]

Hope it all works out!

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MidnightBlue:
I have a Dell laptop, and my power supply has gone twice, though it was clear that was the problem. There was beeping and crackling every time I plugged it in, though it was fine on battery. Dell just sent me a new one both times.

Make that three power supplies dead. [Roll Eyes] I really don't know what I'm doing to them, but I'd better shut off my comp now, the new one won't be here until tuesday.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Power supply failure is the #1 most common hardware issue there is. I'll give everyone a very important tip. Never buy a cheap power supply that delivers less than 600 watts! Why? Because it won't be able to deliver sufficient, clean, and proper power for longer than a few months, and a large percentage (30-40%) will die in a year. So getting a cheap power supply is basically gambling with the world of electrons (A lesson I have yet to be able to cram into the head of the guy who orders all the hardware for the company I work for).

Oh, and MidnightBlue, is the crackling and popping happening when you plug the power supply into the wall or into the laptop? Because if it's the latter, you have a messed up motherboard. If it's the first...uhh...call an electrician. Quick.

edit: power supply installation is pretty simple and straight-forward. All the plugs only go in one way and if it doesn't fit, it don't go there.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.