FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Life on Mars - BBC America

Author Topic: Life on Mars - BBC America
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
So I've just seen an ad which says that this show starts on BBC America tonight. I know that it's not a channel most people have - but honestly, if you do have it, take a look at this show.

I don't want to link to the BBC site, as it has a lot of spoilers for the whole series (it's already aired in Britain and was a big hit).

But here's a non-spoilery synopsis, courtesy of Amazon.

*Sam Tyler, a detective from the 21st Century finds himself catapulted back to 1973, after a car accident knocks him unconscious. In his new state of altered reality, Sam must prove himself to 'new boss', the hot-headed DCI Gene Hunt, all the while unsure whether he is awake or dreaming.*

Think cop show meets time travel drama. [Big Grin]

EDIT - went and found the BBCA site .

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, my father-in-law gets it, I might ask him to tape it for me.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, I was hoping this thread was a link to a science news article! *pouts*

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Think cop show meets time travel drama.
I will hunt this down!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
This show is awesome.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like "Far Beyond the Stars." The basic premise anyway, without the racism.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could get the BBC [Frown]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I've mentioned this show a couple of times in other threads here. It is very well done. The acting is top notch. The music is great. All around, one of the best shows I have watched in a long time. Don't wait for the U.S. version (I think ABC has the rights), watch the BBC production.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy COW! I just watched the first episode last night ( I have this friend with strange but wonderful taste and no job, who keeps me supplied with interesting entertainment options) and I have to say it was just fabulous.

The mixture of realism (what would it be like to be a cop 30+ years ago when so very little was known about how to collect crime scene evidence, no one had mobile telephones, etc) and the surreal (all the little hints that he's really in a coma and dreaming or is he?) go well together. The acting is top notch and the wardrobe is painful.

And I haven't even seen the second episode yet. It may be difficult to sustain that level of awesome, but the people in this thread who have seen it seem to think it stands up.

On a personal surreal side note, I kept thinking, "Why does that guy look so familiar? Where have I seen him?" I don't have the recall I used to and it kind of bugged me.

Then my subconscious gave me a hint. (ta-ta-tap, ta-ta-TAP and a whispered "Can you hear the drums?") Of course then I realized he was The Master, but good grief my brain scares me sometimes.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen it and it's really good. See it if you can.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

I love this series. I've been morbidly curious to see what ABC does with the U.S. version of the show but that changed to cautious optimism when I read that they are in talks with Colm Meaney in the Gene Hunt role.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
There's also going to be a British sequel set in the '80s, sometime next year.
I’m looking forward to it, although I imagine the costumes may cause sensitive viewers mild retinal damage.

And yes, Colm Meaney improves everything.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a very good show.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
There's also going to be a British sequel set in the '80s, sometime next year.
I’m looking forward to it, although I imagine the costumes may cause sensitive viewers mild retinal damage.

Ashes to Ashes. Sam's not in it though. Gene working with a modern day woman will be interesting to see.
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm up through the 5th episode of the first series. There should be more things on TV this good.

I have become a much more avid consumer of entertainment now that I have no one to talk to when the kiddies are in bed.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.