FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I love my life. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I love my life.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously. I just finished talking to a friend I haven't heard from in almost a year; he's got three kids and has adopted two more from Kenya, found God, and is playing in a Christian metal band. We spent an hour talking about how Mac users are kind of like Orthodox Jews, and made plans to get together the day after GenCon.

We got back today from visiting my wife's family. Her sister got married a few weeks ago to a paramedic and firefighter who looks almost exactly like Tom Cruise, and she's worried about paying back her heavy college debt now that she's graduated and trying to find a job with a degree in social justice.

Before she went to bed, my daughter ran up to me and hugged my knee and said, "Daddy, come down here." So I dropped to one knee myself, and she hugged my neck and whispered into my ear, "I love you."

And now I'm lying here next to my wife, who's breathing softly and rhythmically in her sleep. And if I start getting into how incredibly, insanely lucky I am to have her, I'm not going to be able to stop.

So it occurs to me that, despite all the hassles and concerns of everyday living -- the bills, the pointy-headed bosses, the in-laws, the stressors and concerns -- I love my life. I love being alive. I love this freakin' planet and most of the people on it.

I spend a lot of time complaining and grumbling about the little things, mainly the ones I can't really fix or do anything about. Here's hoping that the next time I feel the urge, I can remember posting something like this.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
It's nice to be happy. Family is important. Good for you.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Please do post something like this as much as you can. I love to read it and I'm happy for you. You have a great life and the sense to recognize it. Those are indeed wonderful things. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

You reminded me how much happiness there is to be found in the little things, and in the acheivements and joys of others, as well.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love my life. I love being alive. I love this freakin' planet and most of the people on it.
It warms my heart to hear people say things like that. They doesn't get said much, but it makes life good to hear it said.

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you, Tom.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Tom. You've reminded me how great my life is too. Particularly my husband. I don't deserve him.

Thanks for sharing your happiness, and reminding me of mine. [Smile]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
<glee>

[Smile]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for posting this, Tom.

Y'know, I think I'm gonna sticky this for a little while. Just because.

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
how Mac users are kind of like Orthodox Jews
I don't have a Mac, so I have to ask. Do Macs only work 6 out of 7 days of the week?

Anyway, thanks for the sweet post. I knew it. I just knew it. You really are a marshmallow underneath that gruff exterior.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are you a pauper or superstar, so you act, so you feel, so you are.

That's when I learned a lesson, that it's all about your perception.

One of my current favorite songs, off of the new India.Arie cd.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you got stickied out of general awesome.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That made me happy just reading it! [Smile]
Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
That is great! [Smile]

Keep up the good work/life. [Wink]

A.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] at Tom!
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Your life is actually a televised life-immersion contest, a la "The Truman Show," and the In-Laws and bosses were actually sent in a while ago as a desperate attempt to try to cool down your intense winning streak.

Much to my consternation (I've been betting against you in Las Vegas) -- they have failed.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Cool, Tom. Glad you know it.

And I love my life, too, and it's nice to be reminded of it. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta love that warm fuzzy butterflies feeling. [Smile]
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
We spent an hour talking about how Mac users are kind of like Orthodox Jews

Eww.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear it Tom! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Tom, it's good for me to hear people being happy than just complaining for a change. Your post made me happy on the inside.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that just made me smile so much it brought tears to my eyes! You know what? I have a great life too and you've reminded me that I need to talk about that more, rather than complaining. Thanks.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy
Member # 9384

- posted      Profile for Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do Macs only work 6 out of 7 days of the week?
If you're lucky.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Speech! Speech!
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm, why was this pinned?
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat] to you, Tom.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the post Tom, it brightened my day.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
That made me smile, Tom.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol, I think it was pinned because it was TOM that made the thread.

But hey, I'm very glad for you, and it makes me happy when I see other people really living a life they want to live. [Hat] Keep up the spirit!

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chanie
Member # 9544

- posted      Profile for Chanie   Email Chanie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I don't get it. They both like Snood?
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I agree. Life is good. An' it may be hard at times, but the good things in life should always be appreciated.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chanie:
quote:

[ROFL]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
"And now I'm lying here next to my wife, who's breathing softly and rhythmically in her sleep."

And you're posting here. This tells me much more than I wanted to know about your Hatrack addiction, frankly.

Still, good to hear.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I opened this thinking that since it was pinned, it must have some great news in it or important announcement, like perhaps that Christy is pregnant again. So now, even though its a lovely post, I feel kind of disappointed.

But in the spirit of Tom's post, I love my life too. NOt only do I have a great husband (also a firefighter/paramedic but not one who looks like Tom Cruise - for which I'm grateful as I don't think Tom is all that attractive) and wonderful kids but I was able to register for college and get the schedule I wanted. If you knew how hard it was to get the schedule you wanted and how much luck was involved in that, you'd be impressed.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. See, I also expected it to be that sort of announcement, but found myself happier that it wasn't. It's easy to feel blessed (Pardon the term, Tom) when something important is happening in our lives, and much rarer to see someone speak about the everyday stuff in such an appreciative way. If stickying it means people will read it who wouldn't have otherwise, I'm glad it's stickied. It's a great reminder of how wonderful the normal parts of life can be.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chanie:

Not to brag or anything, but I've been told that I give great snood.

Wink, wink. If you know what I mean.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*smile*

Thanks for sharing the positive!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy:
quote:
Do Macs only work 6 out of 7 days of the week?
If you're lucky.
Which is a good 2 days more than anything running windows.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with ElJay.

And I also love my life.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith, again
Member # 9457

- posted      Profile for Sopwith, again   Email Sopwith, again         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I believe you've got it about as good as a person can have it. Enjoy!
Posts: 45 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's odd that the A.P.G.B.'s thread shot to 3 pages while this one has yet to turn one. At first I found it awkward that this post was given the treatment of a birth or engagement announcement. But I was just reading that Time article on happiness (click on smiley lower right of page) and then came to check on a thread here, and saw "A bird shat on me" and saw how many of the other thread titles are somewhat whiney.

So I'd just like to say I think this is a great post, Tom. The article doesn't go into it, but Seligman's research shows that how you think about what you can't control contributes to your mood.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from a war zone. I am extremely happpy to live in a peaceful, nonviolent country. God has given me so much to be thankful for. I love my life.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.