FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Boston Public

Author Topic: Boston Public
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when the show was on its first run. It seemed to take interesting chances, and any show with both Fyvush Finkel and Loretta Divine is going to sizzle. The substance wasn't bad, either. What I like about the show is that it's about teachers and students, and it was on Fox so they didn't pretend that there are easy answers, or answers at all. The show, like I think most good fiction, shows the consequences of the character's actions and intentions, and even if the ending is messy, we make the call about the morality involved.

The dialogue is snappy, and again, Fyvush Finkel and Loretta Divine, how can anyone be disappointed?

[ August 06, 2006, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, "first run" implies that it might be on a second run. Is it syndicated on some cable network now? I hope? Pleeeeeease? [Smile]

I loved that show, though it started to wear out with time as they succumbed to Law & Order style political correctness. Interestingly, I think L&O grew out of it. Boston Public just got cancelled.

Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
My only knock on the show is that it's uneven, as much as it's about students and teachers. There aren't enough episodes where it is about the students and teachers and the material.

I don't know why, but it's tempting to make stories set in high school about either teacher in-fighting, adultery, or other unappropriate relations.

Teachers, students, and their growth through communion with the material.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.