FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NJCL Convention

Author Topic: NJCL Convention
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
I just came back from the National Junior Classical League convention in scenic Bloomington, Indiana, totally rejuvenated. I love this week every year, 2,000 students from Middle, Secondary schools and universities plus Latin teachers and a few odd extras meeting for one week every year in celebration of a supposedly dead language and civilization. Competition in an environment of coöperation, a sarcastic vibe in a very inclusive group, insane and sometimes reckless enthusiasm for things most of one’s peers would find odd: these things define the NJCL. Although the second-biggest nationally-organized youth organization in the country, behind Boy and Girl Scouts, the NJCL remains fairly obscure. This shall, hopefully, change after the very favorable coverage of the group in the New York Times, and an expression of interest from Oprah.

This year, I said farewell to many long-time friends as they went off to colleges across the country, and this year’s theme seemed unusually relevant: Amicitæ nostræ memoriam spero sempiternam fore, or, I hope that the memory of our friendship will be everlasting.

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, you do realize there are several of us hatrackers in bloomington [Razz] ?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

No, I didn't. I didn't see much of Bloomington, but, from what I saw, I find it hard to believe that there are several people in Bloomington. My God, Indiana is humid, as bad as East Texas.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! The National Junior Classical League. I thought this thread was about the New Jersey Cultural League. You know -- Turnpike rest stops, shopping malls, diners.

Glad you had a blast among your own kind. It sounds more your speed than the New Jersey variant.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

*snort*

Its only humid some of the time, and there are places that are much worse.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

Yes, and there are places much colder than Siberia. And, it is flat in Indiana, really flat, flatter than I thought possible. With lots of corn. Strange place, bleak, laconic observations are there inspired. [Smile]

In all seriousness, great art museum and rare books collection at IU.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Only some of Indiana is flat, the southern tip is below where the glaciers descended. Not only are there places that are worse, but there are billions of people living in places that are worse [Wink] .

Yes, we have one of the world's best university library systems, and a top notch art museum. Heck, our student union has a more valuable art collection hanging on its walls than many schools have in their art museums (though sadly most students hardly notice the paintings) [Smile] . Most of the credit for these things goes to Herman B Wells, a very important man.

And we have more soybeans than corn [Razz] [Wink] .

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the JCL. Although we never got to go to National conventions, we went to the regional ones.

I miss JCL.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.