FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » is tivo worth it?

Author Topic: is tivo worth it?
citadel
Member # 8367

- posted      Profile for citadel   Email citadel         Edit/Delete Post 
So I am thinking of getting tivo but am not sure if is worth it. I abhor commercials and don't need to see pizza hut or arby's or any other sorta food ads at night when I don't need to be eating or even thinking about eating.

Is tivo worth it?

Posts: 89 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
We have ReplayTV, not Tivo, but my answer would be "absolutely." It's completely changed our viewing habits, and you don't realize how many commercials you see -- and how often people talk about them -- until you cut them out of your life.

It also makes it easier to watch shows. You can watch an entire episode of "The Simpsons" in 18 minutes.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citadel
Member # 8367

- posted      Profile for citadel   Email citadel         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. What exactly is ReplayTV? A competitor of tivo?
Also, what I really want is just a dvr for recording stuff off tv. We don't have cable. What advantages does tivo have over just buying a stand alone dvr box?

Posts: 89 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it depends. Do you always know when you want to record things, usually some time in advance?

Because I'll tell you, the main advantage we get from our ReplayTV (which is a DVR, just like Tivo is) is that it gives us the ability to go "wait, I just missed that. Can you play it back?) And pause if someone comes to the door. And since it automatically records what you're currently watching, you don't need to remind yourself to do it.

Tivo's even friendlier, as I understand it, because it allows you to tell it to record "all episodes of this show," "all episodes I don't have," "all shows with this actor," and so forth. Our ReplayTV box just lets us search and schedule by program title.

That said, if you don't have cable, it's probably not worth the money; I can't imagine that you watch enough TV to justify the monthly subscription. I'd just hook my PC up to my TV and use that as my DVR.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't have cable, I don't much see the point...since you wouldn't have many channels to sort through anyway.

Everyone knows the basics of Tivo. It can record shows, pause TV, and so forth. In addition, it can record "season passes" It automatically will record every episode of a show (even if it changes days or time).

Though, I think the best feature of the Tivo (and what makes it worth its money) is the wish list. You tell it the names of your favorite actors, directors, or even keywords of movie names or topics and it will automatically record things that fit that criteria when they come on. It is very handy for seeing your favorite actors in movies that you didn't even know were on TV, or catching them on talk show appearances.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I also don't have cable. I looked into Tivo and various DVR options a while back, and decided I was better off with a Netflix subscription.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.