FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Halo the Movie - Anyone heard about this? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Halo the Movie - Anyone heard about this?
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this and can't believe that I didn't know about it before now. How long has this been rumored.

Halo: The Movie

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

More info at IMDB
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, a movie about a video game... I wonder if it's going to SUCK?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on. There were some video game movies that were good. I just haven't seen them. Oh wait...You're right. They don't exist.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

I'm just waiting for someone to cone in here and try to convince me about a single game-based movie that didn't suck. I've seen them all (and I mean ALL of them. Hell, I've even seen Bloodrayne and Alone In the Dark, OK?) and I can't think of one myself.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

Have you seen the Final Fantasy Movies? [Grumble] Please do tell me how those suck? They are awesome!

[ August 09, 2006, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: B34N ]

B34N
Member # 9597

Oh yeah and then there's Resident Evil!
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Final Fantasy, and in my opinion, it sucked.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

Oh, you're so wrong the animation was some of the best I have ever seen and Advent's Children is the most realistic animaiton I have EVER seen. Story wise they may not be that great but they are top notch in tech anime.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:

The first half of it was pretty good. Granted, the second doesn't justify it as a good movie.

Advent Children, though, I must admit looks fantastic, but I have yet to see it.

Mario Brothers- Had it's moments, but sucked.
Mortal Kombat- First was a quarter way decent, sequel undeniably sucked.
Doom- I believe this is the defining movie for the average level of suck in a Video Game movie.
Silent Hill - arguably bad.
Resident Evil - Again, had it's moments, definately the upper portion of most video game movies.
Street Fighter- Mortal Kombat 2 level of suck.
Laura Croft- Bouncy bouncy, snore snore, bouncy bouncy bouncy.
Laura Croft Sequel- Bouncy bouncy, ooo, better than the first... wait, no never mind, bouncy bouncy.
Double Dragon- Laughable.

While I love Halo as a game, I'm in the "this is going to be a huge let down" camp. I see no way, no possible way to do the covenant in a way that won't be terrible, and with the flood in there, it will just be another zombie-ish movie, much like that of Doom. All in all, I think Halo as a movie will equate to the same level that "The Scorpian King" is on.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Mario Brothers was made into a movie?

Out of any video game they could pick, they pick Halo? I can't believe it.

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Ah... Street Fighter... The movie was so bad it killed Raul Julia.

Yes, Super Mario Brothers was made in to a movie. The only redeeming values it had was (1) Dennis Hopper as the bad guy, and (2) Almost Unreal, the soundtrack by Roxette.

And I refuse to accept that Doom was based on the video game, especially when hell is never mentioned.

They'll make any game in to a movie. Uwe Boll (sp?) is infamous for that; he's the king of making video game movies that suck. He's working on Postal and Far Cry after that.

Why wouldn't they pick Halo? It's one of the most known franchises. I'm surprised they haven't done Half-Life yet (no, the low budget crap with Screech in it doesn't count).

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
T_Smith, you forgot the fantastic glory that is Wing Commander.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually heard that Denzel Washington was going to be in the Halo movie.

Which boggles the mind. I mean, I've never seen a movie with him in it that I didn't like but on the other hand, video game movies shriek 'SUCK!'

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
It's an unconfirmed rumor that Washington will be in it, anyway. Probably a bit sketchy. What's not unconfirmed is that Peter Jackson is the executive producer, which brings up some of the same problems!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by B34N:
Oh, you're so wrong the animation was some of the best I have ever seen and Advent's Children is the most realistic animaiton I have EVER seen. Story wise they may not be that great but they are top notch in tech anime.

Good animation doesn't mean it's a good movie. I thought The Spirits Within was mediocre. Advent Children would only appeal to people who played and liked FFVII; it doesn't stand on its own as a movie.

Halo has potential, but the more Bungie themselves are involved in the story work, the better.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
So, Halo has a director.

Oh, and if anyone is wondering what "that awesome Citroen dancing" is, you can see it here.

Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
I actually heard that Denzel Washington was going to be in the Halo movie.

Which boggles the mind. I mean, I've never seen a movie with him in it that I didn't like but on the other hand, video game movies shriek 'SUCK!'

I've actually seen several movies with him that I didn't like.

However, I've always liked him in those movies.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I liked Super Mario Brothers when it first came out. I imagine that being eight at the time had a lot to do with this.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that both of the Resident Evil movies were pretty good, especially the first one. Decent acting, good chemistry between the characters, excellent special effects. I suppose the dialog could have used some work, but in movies like those one can't expect anything terribly deep or witty.

Thought I never played any of the games. Was it bad to you because it wasn't consistent with the games?

Also, if I re-watched the Mario Brothers movie I'm sure I would agree with you on its quality, but at the time it came out, I was a big fan.

Also also, I haven't seen the Silent Hill movie, but I heard it was decent. Was I mislead?

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
This movie is going to suck. Neil Blomkamp has only one thing of any 'importance' to him - that Citroen dancing transforming car commercial.

I just saw his short movie "TempBot" and not only was it completely boring - it was a crappy short film too, and that's saying something. '

Oh well, so far we got Peter "I actually made a 3 hour version of King Kong boring" Jackson, some nobody as the director that does commercials and boring short movies, a different script which most likely means diverging from the source material and a rumor of Denzel Washington playing Master Chief.

Yeah, it's gonna be effin' great. [Grumble]

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

I can't picture Denzel as Master Chief. "The Rock", perhaps, but he's busy making eighteen other movies.

BTW: "The Rock" is starring in the Spy Hunter movie...

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought that both of the Resident Evil movies were pretty good, especially the first one.
>.<

I never played the game, and I thought it was pretty bad.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Meh, different strokes.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PUNJABEE:
This movie is going to suck. Neil Blomkamp has only one thing of any 'importance' to him - that Citroen dancing transforming car commercial.

I just saw his short movie "TempBot" and not only was it completely boring - it was a crappy short film too, and that's saying something.

You're kidding, right? I thought "Tempbot" was brilliant, along with Blomkamp's other short, "Alive in Joberg." Both films use common science fiction tropes to discuss a deeper theme not commonly addressed in the genre (especially "Joberg," which is a really thoughtful analysis of race relations), and in a way that is emotionally resonant- and pretty damn funny, in the case of "Tempbot". Not to mention that the compositing of the CG robots and aliens into hand-held footage is pretty much the best use of CG I've seen in an indie.

I have no idea whether this will translate to a good Halo movie, but it shows that Blomkamp's got skills, and that he's got a great eye for imagery and the ability to turn science fiction cliches on their heads, which I think will be crucial in making "Halo" more than "Starship Troopers: Redux." More importantly, both of his short films show that he can make an audience empathize with a character with no face- an obvious advantage when your main character's a helmeted cyborg.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
I can't picture Denzel as Master Chief.

I don't think he'd be the Chief. There's a black military officer with a somewhat prominent role who could easily be played by Denzel Washington, though, and the role could be expanded since the Chief isn't all that talkative.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

Don't get me wrong, I love Denzel Washington. He's an amazing actor (watch Man on Fire), and it has nothing to do with the fact that the man is black and the MC is a white man.

The MC is a character who will probably not even show his face in the movie. That was the thing in the Halo games. You never see his face, because he's supposed to be you, the player. In the books (which are very good) he's described as having a name, John, and a number 117. A reference to the bible scripture.

Anyway, sorry about the tangent - the point is all they need is a great voice actor to play the part of the MC. And Denzel, while a fantastic actor, doesn't have the MC voice. The MC is a battle hardened soldier, gruff, almost unfeeling. Denzel doesn't sound like that.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by PUNJABEE:
Don't get me wrong, I love Denzel Washington. He's an amazing actor (watch Man on Fire), and it has nothing to do with the fact that the man is black and the MC is a white man.

The MC is a character who will probably not even show his face in the movie. That was the thing in the Halo games. You never see his face, because he's supposed to be you, the player. In the books (which are very good) he's described as having a name, John, and a number 117. A reference to the bible scripture.

Anyway, sorry about the tangent - the point is all they need is a great voice actor to play the part of the MC. And Denzel, while a fantastic actor, doesn't have the MC voice. The MC is a battle hardened soldier, gruff, almost unfeeling. Denzel doesn't sound like that.

Well, technically, you never see the face or hear a word from the Doom Marine, either. That didn't stop them.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Maybe they can have Denzel be the face, Eric Bana as the actor under the suit, and The Rock can do the voice.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing this movie has going for it is that the bar is set so low for video game movies that if it's only an 8 on the suckage scale, it'll be considered a vast success.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

If its better than The Scorpian King, I'll give it my approval.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by T_Smith:
If its better than The Scorpian King, I'll give it my approval.

No point in raising the bar further than that, is there?
T_Smith
Member # 3734

I can only stand so much disappointment and survive. If you judge things with respect to The Scorpian King, you tend not to overdose on a heaping pile of crushed hopes.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can only stand so much disappointment and survive. If you judge things with respect to The Scorpian King, you tend not to overdose on a heaping pile of crushed hopes.

You also have to give just about every single movie some sort of award for best picture, and perhaps consider about 50 different movies as epochs.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

I'm a generally happy movie goer, yes. I believe others call it "movie whore."
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
Well, technically, you never see the face or hear a word from the Doom Marine, either. That didn't stop them.

Doom Marine Face

Doom 3 Marine face

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Executive director of the Halo movie project is Peter Jackson, and Bungie is carefully managing and overseeing the movie production. The game series has three books expanding the game world at length, providing for a wealth of situational themes. If ever there was a chance to have a video game movie that doesn't suck (assuming we've completely forgotten Tron) -- this is it.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Executive director of the Halo movie project is Peter Jackson, and Bungie is carefully managing and overseeing the movie production. The game series has three books expanding the game world at length, providing for a wealth of situational themes. If ever there was a chance to have a video game movie that doesn't suck (assuming we've completely forgotten Tron) -- this is it.

yeah, peter jackson and bugie = good things to come. I am pretty excited about it. Not as excited as EG but Halo is a great game with a really cool story.
twinky
Member # 693

What really has a good story is Bungie's previous FPS trilogy: Marathon, Marathon 2: Durandal, and Marathon: Infinity. From what little I've read about the Halo story, it does seem like they've drawn some themes from Marathon and that there may even be some overlap between the two.

A rampant Cortana would probably sell me a copy of Halo 3. I loved how Durandal's rampancy was handled in Marathon 2, even though I never played the whole game.

B34N
Member # 9597

Wow, I've never even heard of those games were they for PC?
twinky
Member # 693

They were roughly contemporaneous with the original Doom games. I believe Marathon 2 was released for the PC, but I'm not sure about either of the others -- until Oni, Bungie was primarily a Mac developer. The first two Myth games were probably their best-known crossplatform titles before Halo.

Bungie open-sourced Marathon 2 a while back, and the Aleph One project redid the game with high-res textures. There's definitely a Windows version of Aleph One, but you need the original data files to play the game.

Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
I personally loved the Mario Movie. All other video game movies have sucked. Peter Jackson (aka worst film maker in the history of man) being involved in any way will make the movei one of the worst of all time.
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

Wow, not a fan of the rings I am guessing. I think people might take offense to that one.
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

I had faith in Peter Jackson before. Then he made King Kong and lost all credibility.

I don't know how an action film about a giant gorilla can be boring, but he made it happen.

T_Smith
Member # 3734

King Kong was masterful.

There, I said it. Masterful. Completely and totally beautiful. Long.... but awe inspiring.

B34N
Member # 9597

Haha, LOL, I haven't even seen it yet so I still have only the rings to think about when it comes to him. Everyone's allowed a bad one, but your right -- screwing up a classic like King Kong will lose you a lot of brownie points.
Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:

The first half of it was pretty good. Granted, the second doesn't justify it as a good movie.

Advent Children, though, I must admit looks fantastic, but I have yet to see it.

Mario Brothers- Had it's moments, but sucked.
Mortal Kombat- First was a quarter way decent, sequel undeniably sucked.
Doom- I believe this is the defining movie for the average level of suck in a Video Game movie.
Silent Hill - arguably bad.
Resident Evil - Again, had it's moments, definately the upper portion of most video game movies.
Street Fighter- Mortal Kombat 2 level of suck.
Laura Croft- Bouncy bouncy, snore snore, bouncy bouncy bouncy.
Laura Croft Sequel- Bouncy bouncy, ooo, better than the first... wait, no never mind, bouncy bouncy.
Double Dragon- Laughable.

While I love Halo as a game, I'm in the "this is going to be a huge let down" camp. I see no way, no possible way to do the covenant in a way that won't be terrible, and with the flood in there, it will just be another zombie-ish movie, much like that of Doom. All in all, I think Halo as a movie will equate to the same level that "The Scorpian King" is on.

Wow. I don't think I've seen any of those movies. Except FF. I liked both of them. Oh, I take that back. I did see Mortal Combat. If the Halo movie is actually on the same level as the Scorpion King... I just might see it. ('Course the Rock is kinda hot.)
Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
King Kong was masterful.

There, I said it. Masterful. Completely and totally beautiful. Long.... but awe inspiring.

[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

[The Wave]
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to know if the Denzel would really let that Blue Elite grab his ass.
"Uh-oh-- this is it, baby. Hold me."

We've had long arguments over whether that Elite could possibly be the Arbiter. I tend to stake my argument on the fact that its blue, where the Arbiter was wearing gold at the beginning of Halo 2. I'll only grant that it could be the dude with the broken jaw from Halo 2.

So they have a producer and a director. This makes it closer to actuation than Ender's Game in what way?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.