FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Halo the Movie - Anyone heard about this? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Halo the Movie - Anyone heard about this?
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wait a second... what about Pluto Nash? I seriously thought that was the biggest bomb, even more so than FF: Spirits.
Naw, Nash is at number five. [Smile]

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was a serendipitous combination of practically everything that should be avoided in the business science of moviemaking. It could be used as a textbook example of doomed projects. Ignoring the movie's poor reception with moviegoers, Square fans and critics entirely, it is nearly impossible to have created a larger red line than existed with the Square Pictures project. Disney succeeded only by having train-wreck management (and retarded advertising and promotion) behind a production process (combination of traditional cel and CGI) which was nearly but not quite as expensive as Square Pictures' Maya 3D.

The production costs for the movie reached stratospheric levels: $137 million. It was a complete dud at the box office, and the movie closed theatres and live DVD sales with a $123 million loss. This figure does not count the expenses of Sony's aggressive marketing campaign for the movie, which I would estimate at somewhere around $30-$40 million.

Put it all together, and the movie represents a total loss of anywhere between $153-163 million dollars for Square Pictures, which promptly folded.

With Pluto Nash, the financial expenditure was so (comparatively) low, that Castle Rock could have put the completed movie in a box, forever and not attempted to recoup any money from the project at all, and they would have still been completely unable to match Square's loss. This is almost what they did: recognizing that the film was unsalvageable, they killed off all promotion costs, sat on the final release for a while, and eventually tacitly released it without any fuss, fanfare, or critic movie screenings. It's at #5 on the biggest-box-office-bombs list, behind other movies like Cutthroat Island, Around the World in 80 Days, and The Alamo.

A big part of the failure of The Spirits Within would have to involve how the movie didn't grok with most moviegoers at all. Even the few critics who liked the movie were compelled to hammer it for its nonsensical, esoteric plot, and criticize it for having the human figures fall soundly into the Uncanny Valley.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Naw, Nash is at number five.
Where is this list you're referring to?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
It's from a list of films generating losses. It's mentioned in Pluto Nash's Wikipedia article, and I think it's based on updated IMDB or Numbers data. Which I'm assuming are in order.

quote:
As of 2006 this is the fifth-largest financial loss of any film ever made (after Treasure Planet, Cutthroat Island, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, The Alamo, and Around the World in 80 Days), both in absolute dollar values, and adjusted for inflation.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
It's from a list of films generating losses. It's mentioned in Pluto Nash's Wikipedia article, and I think it's based on updated IMDB or Numbers data. Which I'm assuming are in order.

quote:
As of 2006 this is the fifth-largest financial loss of any film ever made (after Treasure Planet, Cutthroat Island, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, The Alamo, and Around the World in 80 Days), both in absolute dollar values, and adjusted for inflation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films:_U.S._box_office_bombs

It'd be nice if they put them in non-alphabetic order...

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kamisaki
Member # 6309

- posted      Profile for Kamisaki   Email Kamisaki         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PUNJABEE:
quote:
Originally posted by Kamisaki:
And what's with the asthmatic robot? I mean, I know that he supposedly got his butt kicked by Mace Windu and that's why he can't breathe right, but still. Not a good idea to make one of your major villains sound like a 90 year man. Not unless you're making a comedy, anyway.

Grievous actually did get his lungs crushed, and it's shown in the Clone Wars cartoon, which was actually *WAY* better than the 3 prequels.
Yeah, I know, I saw Clone Wars, and I agree that the cartoon was way better than the movie. I guess I should have left out the word "supposedly" from my post. But still, that incident in Clone Wars seemed to be just a way of explaining why Grievous had respiratory problems in Ep. 3, not an integral part of the plot to Clone Wars. So my point was they should have just left that part out of both, and have Grievous in Ep. 3 kick just as much ass as he did in Clone Wars.
Posts: 134 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
They are actually coming out with a new animated Star Wars Series.
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Worst movie I've ever seen in the history of my life.
Yes, but aren't you 12? Point being, your taste in movies (as well as everything else) will change and expand as you get more experience. At that point, you'll likely be embarassed that you held up War of the Worlds as the best movie of the year while simultaneously panning the LOTR trilogy. Or not, who knows.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
*cough* 14 *cough*

There is a difference, you know. [Big Grin]

And yes, you're probably right.

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I swear to God, if the Halo movie has a single first-person view with him gunning enemies down, I will burn down the theater.

The Halo games have never had a very good story anyway (come on, the concept of a ring world was completely lifted from the book Ringworld) so the only thing I can imagine this will have going for it is pretty special effects and action.

Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by Hitoshi:
I swear to God, if the Halo movie has a single first-person view with him gunning enemies down, I will burn down the theater.

The Halo games have never had a very good story anyway (come on, the concept of a ring world was completely lifted from the book Ringworld) so the only thing I can imagine this will have going for it is pretty special effects and action.

You know, that wouldn't have bothered me as much in Doom if the rest of the movie was even remotely close to the concept of the game. One four minute scene does not compensate for the other hour and a half of mindlessness deviation from the source material.
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Yeah the ring was lifted from Niven's book but the story of the Flood and how Humans fit into that universe (Halo's universe, I mean) is really cool. It's a great story that is helped to be even cooler by the 3 great books that were released.

halo 2....eh... not so much.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
quote:

You know, that wouldn't have bothered me as much in Doom if the rest of the movie was even remotely close to the concept of the game. One four minute scene does not compensate for the other hour and a half of mindlessness deviation from the source material.
But then again how fast would it have become boring if they had The Rock simply going through rooms and rooms of bad guys (in legion quantity) and blowing them all away? Most people would rather just load up Doom and do it themselves. Though I confess I am so SICK and TIRED of movies where the Elite Marines (soldier types) get sent in only to be destroyed by their personality flaws, or stupid coincidental equipment failure.

Here are just a few of the stupid things I noticed in Doom:

Flashlights in movies MUST go out when they are most needed.

Baddies can inexplicably move from the ground, and into the ventilation system right above your head within seconds and they always know when you are about to jerk your head and stare in their direction.

Elite Marines when they see 2 bright glowing eyes are trained to stare at them until they are attacked savagely and then all they can do is wail and scream for help rather then fight back.

When marines come to a point where a path converges in 2 directions they have all failed to watch Scooby Doo and so follow standard detective protocols and split into groups that can be more easily isolated and destroyed.

Even with a buddy to watch your back either you will fail to see something behind you grab your buddy, or your buddy will get stalled with something (falling to far behind you and getting lost is a popular director choice) and seal your own doom.

The person in charge of everything NEVER NEVER NEVER has the most common sense. Its always the underdog OR the 2nd in command. Moby Dick doomed us to this formula with Captain Ahab and 1st mate Starbuck.

Ill have more points later.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, what gives? I read through the entire thread and there isn't a single mention of Red Vs. Blue. There's a problem here.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

You're right about the "going room to room killind baddies". I never said that Doom should have been made in to a movie in the first place.

What you are describing about Doom can be said about any movie in the genre. What that genre is is up to interpretation.

B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
Ok, what gives? I read through the entire thread and there isn't a single mention of Red Vs. Blue. There's a problem here.

I thought that was a reference to the Matrix, oops.
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.