FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I hate throwing up. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I hate throwing up.
ssasse
Member # 9516

- posted      Profile for ssasse           Edit/Delete Post 
ketchupqueen, I hope you continue to get better. That sounds like an awful experience.

BlackBlade, if you are already showing such physical changes on scope, you really need to be on effective treatment for this, be it medical or surgical. Do you remember a discussion of "Barrett's esophagus" or the likelihood of developing precancerous lesions? Please discuss this with your regular physician again, if you are not continuing to be treated for and effectively monitored (on an ongoing, scheduled basis) regarding this condition.

I'll say it once more: Please discuss this with your regular physician again, if you are not continuing to be treated for and effectively monitored (on an ongoing, scheduled basis) regarding this condition.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ssasse:
ketchupqueen, I hope you continue to get better. That sounds like an awful experience.

BlackBlade, if you are already showing such physical changes on scope, you really need to be on effective treatment for this, be it medical or surgical. Do you remember a discussion of "Barrett's esophagus" or the likelihood of developing precancerous lesions? Please discuss this with your regular physician again, if you are not continuing to be treated for and effectively monitored (on an ongoing, scheduled basis) regarding this condition.

I'll say it once more: Please discuss this with your regular physician again, if you are not continuing to be treated for and effectively monitored (on an ongoing, scheduled basis) regarding this condition.

My physician said he was hesitant to do surgery, so he prescribed some medication to see if it helped, it helped just alittle, he told me that I should watch my diet as a way to deal with it. I have found that certain foods definately effect me more than others and I try to act accordingly.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ssasse
Member # 9516

Hmmm. The recommendations as you relate them do not reassure me that all is being well taken care of.

Perhaps this information would be good for you to read and take in to discuss with your physician:

Mayo Clinic info on Barrett's esophagus
Wikipedia on Barrett's esophagus

Since you have ongoing symptoms and report them to be of such severity, I do not think a single endoscopic exam in the past is enough to screen you for development of this condition over a lifetime. What may not have been there then may still develop later, especially since your problems are not being effectively controlled by medication and diet.

I very much hope you have another conversation with your healthcare professional in the near future, even if it is just a phone call to the physician's nurse in order to clarify whether or not there are any plans for you to be rescoped sometime in the future, and if so, when.

---

Edited to add: Perhaps I was confused. Are you continuing to take medication regularly (and as prescribed) for this problem, or are you no longer taking medication regularly for this?

Posts: 132 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmmm. The recommendations as you relate them do not reassure me that all is being well taken care of.

Perhaps this information would be good for you to read and take in to discuss with your physician:

Mayo Clinic info on Barrett's esophagus
Wikipedia on Barrett's esophagus

Since you have ongoing symptoms and report them to be of such severity, I do not think a single endoscopic exam in the past is enough to screen you for development of this condition over a lifetime. What may not have been there then may still develop later, especially since your problems are not being effectively controlled by medication and diet.

I very much hope you have another conversation with your healthcare professional in the near future, even if it is just a phone call to the physician's nurse in order to clarify whether or not there are any plans for you to be rescoped sometime in the future, and if so, when.

---

Edited to add: Perhaps I was confused. Are you continuing to take medication regularly (and as prescribed) for this problem, or are you no longer taking medication regularly for this?

I do not take medication anymore as I would be unable to afford it on a regular basis (its about $30 a month) I mostly focus on diet, and eating smaller portions as it makes it easier for me to deal with it.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ssasse
Member # 9516

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I do not take medication anymore as I would be unable to afford it on a regular basis (its about $30 a month) I mostly focus on diet, and eating smaller portions as it makes it easier for me to deal with it.

I understand how difficult it is to access healthcare without sufficient support. (In my mind, this is a ghastly characteristic of the US system, actually.)

However, if you are not taking the medication, then I strongly strongly urge you to reconsult your regular physician about this. If you are not on medication, then (in my mind*) the need for more routine scope screenings (which might well be covered -- bizarrely -- by your insurance, even if the medication is not covered without a low enough copay for you) is markedly increased.

Perhaps your physician is not aware that your symptoms are so bad and you are unable to afford the medication. Perhaps he or she can help you get medications as free samples or at a discount through that pharmaceutical company. Such programs do exist, and if your physician is not familiar with the ropes, I can dig up some info.

*I am a physician, although not a gastroenterologist. Nonetheless, my training emphasized that untreated reflux was imperative to be followed closely. I would feel remiss if I did not push you on this point, even though you are a big boy and can make your own decisions. [Smile]

---

Edited to add: And I now give up my upstartish ways of derailing someone's personal thread. My apologies, kq! [Smile] (BlackBlade, if you want to continue this particular conversation at any time, I'll keep an eye out for a new thread. It's important stuff.)

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

I understand how difficult it is to access healthcare without sufficient support. (In my mind, this is a ghastly characteristic of the US system, actually.)

However, if you are not taking the medication, then I strongly strongly urge you to reconsult your regular physician about this. If you are not on medication, then (in my mind*) the need for more routine scope screenings (which might well be covered -- bizarrely -- by your insurance, even if the medication is not covered without a low enough copay for you) is markedly increased.

Perhaps your physician is not aware that your symptoms are so bad and you are unable to afford the medication. Perhaps he or she can help you get medications as free samples or at a discount through that pharmaceutical company. Such programs do exist, and if your physician is not familiar with the ropes, I can dig up some info.

*I am a physician, although not a gastroenterologist. Nonetheless, my training emphasized that untreated reflux was imperative to be followed closely. I would feel remiss if I did not push you on this point, even though you are a big boy and can make your own decisions. [Smile]

---

Edited to add: And I now give up my upstartish ways of derailing someone's personal thread. My apologies, kq! [Smile] (BlackBlade, if you want to continue this particular conversation at any time, I'll keep an eye out for a new thread. It's important stuff.)

Your concern and expertise are apprecaited [Smile] I made my physician aware of the extent of my condition, and he suggested the medication combined with an adjusted diet, as surgery is only a temporary solution and not a very good one.
ssasse
Member # 9516

(I've taken our conversation off to new dimensions, BlackBlade! [Smile] )
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Goshdarnit. It's still not going away. [Grumble]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no, kq!

I hope, hope it's just some nasty persistent virus.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh kq . . . whatever this turns out to be you have my best wishes.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ - if it helps at all I have some wierd virus where I'm okay in the morning but by afternoon/evening I am exhausted and nauseaus with some vomitting from time to time. Its been going on about 3 weeks. I had a serum pg test that was neg so I know its not that. Maybe you have the same virus???
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I sure as heck hope so. I can never tell because I have started throwing up about two days after conception with both my girls (although with Bridget I didn't realize it at the time.)

Does it make you pee a lot, too? Although that could be that I've been tired and had my feet up a lot and all that excess fluid is finally draining.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diana Bailey
Member # 8313

- posted      Profile for Diana Bailey   Email Diana Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh...reading this thread brings back memories. My mother had systemic scleroderma; the last year was really difficult. She vomited after every meal and I spent a good deal of time watching, cleaning up the vomit and fearing the worst. The last time I ever saw my mother was right after she threw up and I remember how scared and frightened I was...I knew the end was near, even though this was before anyone prepared children for the eventual death of a parent. It was truly terrible...suffice to say, I can't vomit myself, and I can't watch a friend or family membert get sick without a certain degree of panic.I frankly have no idea what I would do if I had to go through the ordeal Belle describes. One does, of course...there's no choice outside a premature death, but my deepest compassion and sympathy go out to everyone who becomes violently ill.
Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
When will you get back the blood test results?
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I haven't had one (talkin' to me, right?)

Diana. that's awful, [Frown] (((hugs)))

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, is there anything different?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Not yet.

*sigh* I really just need to be patient and wait until next Thursday, when my appointment is.

Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Any news?
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Urine test was negative. Doctor went ahead and put in the new IUD, but ordered a blood test "just to be completely sure." I'll know tomorrow. [Smile]
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well that's good news, right?

(You haven't had false negatives before - am I right? So you must be pretty relieved. [Smile] )

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray for the stomach flu? [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate throwing up so much. By now, though, I've been hurled on so much by my reflux-y baby that it barely registers. It's much better than it used to be for her.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, kq, and all of our other sick Hatrackers.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm going to call at noon to give the office time to get the results. Actually I have had a false negative before (not with a healthy pregnancy, only with a miscarriage. [Frown] ) I'll post a thread with the results when I have them so all may know. [Wink]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.