FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Random Things of Interest

Author Topic: Random Things of Interest
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thought that this was interesting enough to pass along, but I don't really think it's worth its own thread. Anybody else got anything worth relating, but not worth creating a thread to share?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
The Gudjonsson Suggestibility Scale (GSS): Further data on its reliability, validity, and metacongition correlates

Fascinating stuff!

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwen
Member # 9551

- posted      Profile for Gwen           Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting. Now I want to take all those tests!

I found this when I was learning about mathematical knots: http://birrell.org/andrew/knotwork/
It's an applet that helps you create Celtic knots. It shows an interwoven rectangular mat, and you click once on any intersection to cut it horizontally and again to make it separate vertically (and again to "heal" it to make it back to normal). It's fun to play with.

Posts: 283 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Thought that this was interesting enough to pass along, but I don't really think it's worth its own thread. Anybody else got anything worth relating, but not worth creating a thread to share?

Around 1999 I used to baby sit these 3 kids and when I went over to their house the first time they showed me their computer. It was running Windows 3.1 and the screen did not support color. When their parents came home I told them that they really ought to get a new computer as the internet was becoming huge, and much of my course work required a computer, and the internet. I told them their kids were going to need a better computer. I came back to their house a few weeks later and they had a new computer and the 2 boys were playing StarCraft.

It was one of my proudest moments [Big Grin]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
We had one of those computers. Of course, our first computer ran on DOS. I remember my parents had these huge books on MS DOS around the computer. And we had one of those Green screens.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
They should bring back a retro model of the apple II running the new Leopard software they are coming out with early next year.

I like how they are boxy.

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.