FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » August 22nd, hype or justified fear?--Just Hype (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: August 22nd, hype or justified fear?--Just Hype
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I have been hearing more and more about how August 22nd is going to be a really bad day. The president of Iran has eluded that it would be the start of Armageddon when Mohammad returns.

At first I thought it was just sensationalist journalism to arouse fear, but as the day approaches, I am noticing that North Korea may be testing a nuke, Hezbollah feels embolden, Iran has it's military out in exercises--ready for an attack, Cuba is on high military alert.

My dad, who is neither Christian nor a doom and gloom person at all (and follows politics closely), is talking about needing food storage. He feels there is cause for real concern.

So Hatrackers, what do you think? Hype or a Real Concern? On a side note, does anyone not think that America or Israel will be hit with at least a dirty bomb in the next 5 years?

I think we will—but then I thought we would have been hit in the last 5 years since 9/11.

[ August 22, 2006, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: lem ]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Bah Humbug, there is always happening like this. If something happens on 8/22, than I'ma dancing poodle... and I'm not.
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband's fire dept has a terrorism alert out. Not that he's all that concerned about it really.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I think we'll be fine. And since I'm the expert, y'all should just trust me.

I know you won't, but you should.

Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh,heh.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
My biggest concern is I'll have classes for six hours in a row with ten minutes of break.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
My biggest concern is that these pork chops will be as good as they smell.

*drools*

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an orthodontist appointment that day! OH NO!

It bodes no good.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
well, I'll be working if anyone wants to get some ice cream before the world explodes or burns up or whatever...
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citadel
Member # 8367

- posted      Profile for citadel   Email citadel         Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard Lewis is a proponent of this idea
http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110008768

I am not too concerned though I am getting my food storage together.

Posts: 89 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reticulum:
Bah Humbug, there is always happening like this. If something happens on 8/22, than I'ma dancing poodle... and I'm not.

Well, you're not yet anyways. [Wink]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hype. While the world is destined to end on a Tuesday, This Tuesday will not be the one.

Dirty Bomb? Keep your hands away from your face and take a shower... bomb threat over. Heavy metals are just not an effective weapon. Heck, the DoE put strontium-90 in your milk, just to see what would happen. Turns out, not much.

I think people have a pathological need to fear something. It's like my fellow Americans and terrorists have a co-dependency problem.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember -- those who say the world will end only have to be right once. [Angst]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Better be hype, I'm moving into an apartment on the 22nd.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
statistically speaking you can fit the entire population of the US into an area smaller than texas. If you compare that to the size of the US and how many people there are and then add this to the significance of the area you live in as it impacts the global economy/world structure and you have then the rough ability to determine if you are at a high risk or not. Or if you belive the terorist will do something random then you still have a billion to one chance of being effected. either way, dont worry, be happy (althouhg i think the guy who sang that shot himself....) and live life like it coul dbe the last day and when it isnt dont be dissapointed.
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby McFerrin is alive and well. The suicide rumor is untrue.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for freaking me out! Now I have to go worry about this too! As if my washer going fritzy wasn't enough! I live close enough to DC that I better go get more groceries. Just in case.
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
I just started The Fountainhead... It's too long to finish by then!

And no Master Alvin...

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Heck, the DoE put strontium-90 in your milk, just to see what would happen. Turns out, not much.
I got super-powers.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Why's it always gotta be a Tuesday?
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, me too, fugu. Man, it's hard enough flying in to a new city and moving into a new place without, y'know, the whole apocalypse thing.
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Terrorists must hate Mondays, too. I think we should build on that common ground.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by B34N:
Why's it always gotta be a Tuesday?

Because it sort of sounds like toomsday, or doomsday.
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Mondays are so much better for Doomsdays. Anyone else get a bad case of the Mondays?
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

quote:
Or if you belive the terorist will do something random then you still have a billion to one chance of being effected.
I am not concerned about me or my family. We live in an area very unlikely to be hit by anything. I have noticed that many people feel that something big is about to happen.

I don't think this feeling should be marked as the human condition. Our weapons are bigger, the hate more irrational, and the players more diverse.

I am not scared tho. So far I have lived through several wars-Gulf, Iraq, et cetera. I was alive for 911 which has changed the world. I have seen the Berlin wall come down, Russia open up, and an entire major American city flooded and devastated, and yet...my life has gone on as it has before. Uneventful.

I have known no-one who has been directly influenced by these events.

But the feeling is in the air. I liked the link from Bernard Lewis.

quote:
What is the significance of Aug. 22? This year, Aug. 22 corresponds, in the Islamic calendar, to the 27th day of the month of Rajab of the year 1427. This, by tradition, is the night when many Muslims commemorate the night flight of the prophet Muhammad on the winged horse Buraq, first to "the farthest mosque," usually identified with Jerusalem, and then to heaven and back (c.f., Koran XVII.1). This might well be deemed an appropriate date for the apocalyptic ending of Israel and if necessary of the world. It is far from certain that Mr. Ahmadinejad plans any such cataclysmic events precisely for Aug. 22. But it would be wise to bear the possibility in mind.
quote:
A passage from the Ayatollah Khomeini, quoted in an 11th-grade Iranian schoolbook, is revealing. "I am decisively announcing to the whole world that if the world-devourers [i.e., the infidel powers] wish to stand against our religion, we will stand against their whole world and will not cease until the annihilation of all them... In this context, mutual assured destruction, the deterrent that worked so well during the Cold War, would have no meaning. At the end of time, there will be general destruction anyway. What will matter will be the final destination of the dead--hell for the infidels, and heaven for the believers. For people with this mindset, MAD is not a constraint; it is an inducement.
I have no way to judge if 8-22 will have any historical significance. In the long run it really doesn't matter if the events people fear are in motion happen on 8-22, next month, or five years from now.

But I will be extra curious come Tuesday.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have noticed that many people feel that something big is about to happen.
This is probably because it suits certain major players -- both political and informational -- that this be so.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Boris - Great Idea!!

Here are my thoughts, for what they're worth... What can I really do about the world ending? What impact can I have on a group of people 1/2 the world away that are hell-bent on ending it all? While I'd like to say I'm Supergirl + me and Supey are gonna spin this sucker back two revolutions if anyone tries anything dumb, I'm not. I figure, I'm going to work on Tuesday. My Mom will call about 4 times, just to 'check in' and tell me she loves me. My kid bro will call me because he misses me since I moved away. My Dad will send some random email with some random fact. And I'll carry on with my day. What ever happens will happen, despite any planning or worrying or wishing it wouldn't. If it's this Tuesday, so be it. If it's not, even better 'cause there's way more I want to do with my life.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

We humans are pretty malleable and succeptible. We'd all like to believe something big is going to happen- whether we fear it, or long for it.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I think terrorists just want to pick another double-digit calendar day. First 9/11, now 8/22.

Boy, 7/33 is gonna suck...

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

What about 6/44?

Oh wait...

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
The more fanatics like Iran's president get their hopes up and build up anticipation for the final victory of their barbaric warrior cult over the civilized world, the more completely and devastatingly those hopes and prideful expectations can be dashed. August 23 will be a day of great depression among them. Then perhaps in the days or weeks following, a revolution will take place in Iran that will get rid of the bloody Ayatollahs. The majority of the population is very unhappy about the religious tyranny of the islamofascists.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lem:
I have been hearing more and more about how August 22nd is going to be a really bad day. The president of Iran has eluded that it would be the start of Armageddon when Mohammad returns.

I think you have your religions mixed up. Muslims don't think Mohammed is going to return.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwen
Member # 9551

- posted      Profile for Gwen           Edit/Delete Post 
The world will end on a Thursday because I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
All my life I've felt like something big has been going on all around me, only no one will tell me what it is--
Oh, that's just perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the Universe has that.

Posts: 283 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if the world ends I won't have to face the next Tuesday. So really, either way it's win/win for me.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

What's next Tuesday for you, blacwolve?
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

And - win/win 'cause win: the world doesn't end or win: you don't have to face the day or... ?
Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I won't be taking the subway. A 9/11-style airplane missile can't happen now, and even in New York, the only 3 types of attacks that could hurt me down in the Village are:

1: Subway conventional or gas attack.
2: Dirty bomb attack
3: An actual nuclear weapon.

2 & 3 are extremely unlikely. 1 is very possible, and so I'll be staying holed up in my apartment.

All of these seem much less likely than some form of attack on Israel, possibly the barrage of conventional SRBMs Nasrallah promised to hit Tel Aviv with.

Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

quote:
We'd all like to believe something big is going to happen- whether we fear it, or long for it.
True dat!

I was just talking with my wife the other day along similar lines. She is Mormon; I left the church. We still talk about the church, but we accept where the other person is.

She asked me what I thought would happen if the church requested that the members turn over their property and money over to the church so they could make some hypothetical major move someplace--much like the early pioneers.

She expected me to say that not many members would do it, since I think the church is false. I reminded her that most of the people who would have this requested of them think it is true. I also told her that it is sometimes easier to follow the momentous commandments then the day to day simple commandments.

My conclusion is that the church would be involved in a successful endeavor. Heck, it hypothetically sounds so exciting I might even join them--j/k.

I agree about the longing for something big.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
"Honey... you know, today might be our last day on Earth... so... um... Can I have a decent dinner for a change? And can I watch TV in the living room for more than an hour? And can you not speak?"
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We'd all like to believe something big is going to happen- whether we fear it, or long for it.
You know, this is SO untrue of me that it actually was the first step in my abandonment of my religion. I just don't get this attitude; I don't sympathize with it in the least, and it scares the crap out of me when I see it in other people.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Especially if they're introverts, too?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

quote:
and it scares the crap out of me when I see it in other people.
So you do see it in other people, right? Do you think it is in a lot of people or just a few?

quote:
I think you have your religions mixed up. Muslims don't think Mohammed is going to return.
I must, can you enlighten me?
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
You know, this is SO untrue of me that it actually was the first step in my abandonment of my religion. I just don't get this attitude; I don't sympathize with it in the least, and it scares the crap out of me when I see it in other people.
Oh, I get this feeling all the time. I just knew something was going to happen this past weekend, and BAM! there was a 2-day Hatrack attack on the nation's capitol. We even inadvertently discovered the perfect vector for biological warfare - just look friendly and passout tainted watermelon. There's no shortage of enthusiastic consumers of free watermelon from unscrutinized sources in DC. [Big Grin]

[clarification: Our watermelon wasn't tainted, of course. It was actually quite tasty. However, one part of me was pleased that there is still trust in the world and the other part of me wondered just how much of that is a good thing. [Dont Know]

[ August 21, 2006, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: KarlEd ]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
Especially if they're introverts, too?
Yeah. Millennialist introverts are the worst.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
As for August 22nd. Another full day at work, just to spite the doomsday sayers I am going out to eat tomorrow. I think we should all agree on a specific quisine, eat there, and report what we ate, and any portentious events that took place. Who is with me?

quote:
Originally posted by lem:
quote:
and it scares the crap out of me when I see it in other people.
So you do see it in other people, right? Do you think it is in a lot of people or just a few?

quote:

You are probably thinking of the return of the 12th (I believe) or Final Imam. He will basically come and do many similar things that Christians believe Christ will do at the end of days. Its more of a Shiia tenant if my information holds up, as Shiia's believe their Imams should have rightfully held the reigns of Islam but where held back by the heretic Sunnis.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/intro/islam-shiia.htm

^^ You might find that link alittle useful.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
You are probably thinking of the return of the 12th (I believe) or Final Imam. He will basically come and do many similar things that Christians believe Christ will do at the end of days. Its more of a Shiia tenant[/QB][/QUOTE]

[pet peeve]You mean "tenet"[/pet peeve]

Check this.

The only religions I've ever heard of where a dead leader is supposed to return are Christianity and Lubavitch Hassidism.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

Thanks for the clarification!
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
starlisa, to make things more confusing, the 12th Imam is often confused with the very bloody and fanatical veiled prophet, that lived in the mountains of Iran. He to is supposed to return. Except in St. Louis MO, where the Veiled Prophet is the name of the secret upperclass organization who's main purpose is to organize an expensive debutante ball every year. They used to throw a big parade on July 4th, but that was taken over by the city politico's to be "the Major Summer Event" of the city. But I digresss.......

If big things are happening tomorrow, then they should start appearing in the news soon, since its already tomorrow somewhere.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
You are probably thinking of the return of the 12th (I believe) or Final Imam. He will basically come and do many similar things that Christians believe Christ will do at the end of days. Its more of a Shiia tenant
[pet peeve]You mean "tenet"[/pet peeve]

Check this.

The only religions I've ever heard of where a dead leader is supposed to return are Christianity and Lubavitch Hassidism. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Interestingly enough, I once watched a documentary on Jerusalem where they mentioned that if Jesus were to return he is supposed to appear on the mount of olives after it has split in two and the walk from there and enter Jerusalem. The entrance that faces the mount (my geography is shady) actually has a Muslim Cemetary almost in the way. And apparently those buried there believe their ghosts will stop Jesus from coming into Jerusalem.

I found that to be quite interesting, as I would like to know where that idea came from.

Also Lisa you forgot Tibetan Buddhism, where the Dalai Lhama is a reincarnation of the Buddha.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

Here is an update article. BTW...I am thinking more and more nothing is going to happen, otherwise it would be happening soon.

I don't see Iran doing anything so stupid as a war. I am much more concerned about the possibility of them cutting their oil contracts with us and selling it to Russia or China.

However, here is an update news article: Is Tomorrow Doomsday?

quote:
Some Shiite sects believe that August 22 could correspond to the end of the world. And just today, after much hype, Iran has announced that it will continue to develop its nuclear program. To followers of Iranian President Ahmadinejad, this is a well-timed affront to Israel, the United States and the world. The United Nations had given Iran until the end of the month to respond, but Ahmadinejad had made it clear to all Iranians and the world that he intended to respond on the eve of August 22.
quote:
"It does seem very likely, very probable, that he has something major in mind, whether only a major announcement or a major attack, we will soon see."
EDIT: to add quotes.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.