FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » First Computer?

Author Topic: First Computer?
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just thinking abou the good old days of computer infancy and thought about how my first computer was an atari 800. Wanted to pose the question to everyone if they remember their first computer with as many fond memories or not.

** Edit **
[Laugh] Posted in the other section by accident.

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
My first computer had Windows 3.1, but I remember using DOS for most of the applications.

Good times.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
A Macintosh IIsi. I don't have that many memories of it, actualy.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
My father worked for IBM... we had an old 8086 series!! I do remember none of us kids were allowed to touch it. Wasn't till Dad came home with a Zeos 386 with Win 3.1 that we finally got to use one.... even before we got to use computers at school, in fact.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
First one I actually owned was an Apple ][e. But I started programming on an Atari 400, Commodore PET and TRS-80 at my elementary school.

I remember I was able to write a program big enough on the ][e that the program source collided with the graphics memory. I would do a "clear screen" command and lose fifty lines of code.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

Any commodore owners out there? Oregon trail rocks!
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
My first computer was a TRS-80. Well, actually, it was my brother's first computer, but I used it a lot. The first one that was wholly mine was my Commodore 64.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw I loved old school Oregon Trail. I always shot more meat than my wagon could carry. The buffalo and bears really should have learned to stay away from that trail.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Do programable calculators count? If so, my first computer was an HP 11C. It was stolen from my pack in the library so I don't own it anymore. I do still have an HP 15C, but I haven't programmed in decades.

My first nonhandheld computer was an Apple MacIntosh with 128 kB of RAM if I remember correctly.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

2 Words: Missle Command! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Commodore Vic 20. The storage was on audio cassettes. The 64 was our first upgrade -- it had a disk drive!
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
It was one of the original Apple Macintoshes for me. Now that was a solid machine. [Big Grin]

Anyone remember Crystal Quest? I bet I got farther than anyone here on that game. How about Dark Castle? That was a classic. Or Fool's Errand, anyone?

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
My first computer had patch bays. I never could get it to work -- didn't have the manual that went with it. It was given to me to "play with" and "see if it does anything." Feh.

My NEXT computer was a TRS-80 model 1. It belonged to the lab where I worked, but I wrote all the programs to make it do things in the lab, so it was "mine."

Then...I finally purchased a computer of my very own. It was a Lobo Max 80; it ran CP/M and TRS-DOS (well, LDOS really).

I miss that computer. It broke down less than the Model 1s in the lab, and had 64K of bank-swappable memory. I could write MONSTER programs with that. [Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
My first computer had patch bays. I never could get it to work -- didn't have the manual that went with it. It was given to me to "play with" and "see if it does anything." Feh.

My NEXT computer was a TRS-80 model 1. It belonged to the lab where I worked, but I wrote all the programs to make it do things in the lab, so it was "mine."

Then...I finally purchased a computer of my very own. It was a Lobo Max 80; it ran CP/M and TRS-DOS (well, LDOS really).

I miss that computer. It broke down less than the Model 1s in the lab, and had 64K of bank-swappable memory. I could write MONSTER programs with that. [Big Grin]

[Eek!] Now that's just awesome!
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
My first computer was a blazing 16mhz 486 IBM, with SUPER VGA grafiXXX.

Commander Keen FTW!

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. My family got ripped off on our first computer. It was billed as an Intel 486-SX 25mhz processor. Turned out to be an equivalent AMD processor. We were given an SVGA monitor, and a VGA Graphics card (Well, SVGA worked in DOS, but not in Windows for some odd reason). It cost 1495 dollars (I say ripped off because Intel was much more expensive than AMD at the time. It even had an "Intel Inside" sticker on the case). It lasted us about 3 years before I talked my parents into buying a Cyrix 5x86 133mhz system from the computer shop I worked for for 600 dollars (I got it at cost cause I built it myself). That was when computers still had nearly 100% markup. Yeah. Not that way no more.

[ August 21, 2006, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Earendil18:
Commander Keen FTW!

Yeeeeeeaah!! I LOVED Commander Keen. I would wake up at like, 5 in the morning and play it allll day. I was awesome at that game.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait - saw Oregon Trail and quickly page-downed to say LOVE IT! I fondly remember the days of playing until my eyes were squinted... and that the toughest thing for me was fording a river.

As for my first computer - I don't remember the house not having them... I come from a family of people much geekier than me. While I can get along, I don't know 1/2 as much as the rest of the clan and usually end up calling when in doubt. I don't know the lingo, I don't know the programs, I just know how to make it do ridiculous things that sometimes my geeky family asks me how I did it. My answer's the same almost all the time 'Don't know - I just play'.

What I do know - is that I Love them.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
How old were you when you first used a PC?

I mention this because this topic seemed awfully familiar - and I didn't want to duplicate my answer. [Razz]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
*didn't mean to be a thread-killer*

[Eek!] [Angst]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Amiga 3000 I believe. It was cool.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
The first one I could call mine was an Commodore 64, assuming you don't count the Atari 2600. (I wonder if the Atari Basic cartridge for the 2600 sold even as many copies as the infamous E.T. game?...)

My first exposure to a computer was, I think, an Atari 800. And there were Apple IIs at my elementary school.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
The first computer my family owned had some old school Chestmaster, a fishing game that I spent hours on, Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem, Commander Keen, and I believe ran on DOS. I don't remember, to be honest. I was, like, 9.

I don't remember much after that until Star Craft.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Commodore64. Bored me to tears, so I stuck with the Atari 2600 my cousin gave me. The Gateway DX/2 66 we upgraded to much later had the poorly designed Cyrex processor which always gave me divide overflows in MS Flight Simulator, Descent, Doom and X-wing. In my ignorance I was always trying to fix that by adjusting the jumpers on my sound card and editing settings in my .ini and .bat.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by CaySedai:

I mention this because this topic seemed awfully familiar - and I didn't want to duplicate my answer. [Razz]

Well don't post again? But I wasn't really interested in age but actually people's first computer but in your thread I think people probably gave what their first computer was. But I will state my age I think I was 6 or 7 when i got my first computer.

And I don't really think the Atari 2600 really counts as a computer, it was more the parent of the nintendo. I always thought of it as a game console, but that's really just a dumbed down computer, i guess.

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
It was back in '87 or '88. We had an IBM something-or-other with DOS. Don't remember much more than that as I was only about six. Had a lot of fun playing something called, "Montezuma's Revenge." I had even more fun running rampant through DOS just trying to make it do different things.

At school we had Apple IIes which were primarily used for Oregon Trail ("Oh no! Susanna has cholera! Set grueling pace and meager rations!") and Logowriter, in which you programmed a small turtle to draw things.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
The first computer I recall having was an old IBM 8088 with DOS. Good times. I used to play Brick on it (a version of breakout). My brother played D&D. It had some sort of word processor I can't remember and an amazing 64k RAM. I remember one night my dad spending hours trying to get a modem to work to connect with the computer of some guy he worked with. I'm not sure if it ever happened or not.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CaySedai:

Ok, good. I was sure I had answered this already, but then couldn't find my post.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Apple II GS. I was four. I, too, love Oregon Trail. It plays really well on the Apple II, which is now set up on my desk in my parents' house. It's fully functional.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Kasie H:
Apple II GS. I was four. I, too, love Oregon Trail. It plays really well on the Apple II, which is now set up on my desk in my parents' house. It's fully functional. [Big Grin]

Wow, now that is workmanship. A relic in computer years and still runs, that's so awesome.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Our Apple IIe didn't have Oregon trail for some odd reason- I had to play that at school.

I was a Karateka man, myself.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember which one came into our home first, but I remember the Commodore Vic 20, later a 64 and an Apple III. The Apple III was my computer until I went to college.

I loved, loved, loved Oregon trail!

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by B34N:
quote:
Originally posted by Kasie H:
Apple II GS. I was four. I, too, love Oregon Trail. It plays really well on the Apple II, which is now set up on my desk in my parents' house. It's fully functional. [Big Grin]

Wow, now that is workmanship. A relic in computer years and still runs, that's so awesome.
My father still used my Apple ][e for word processing until about two or three years ago. I'm sure the thing still works.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChevMalFet
Member # 9676

- posted      Profile for ChevMalFet           Edit/Delete Post 
I started on a TRS-80 Color Computer Model II. Though at 6 I was a bit too young to wait for the programs on cassete drive to load (it had cartridges too). The Mac Plus I'd say was my first computer-computer, and Mike, re Dark Castle, you know Delta Tao has remade it in color? There's a playable demo. Also, Fool's Errand has gone freeware I believe, and the developer has a new project.
Posts: 74 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
The first system we owned was the ColecoVision Adam.

Never heard of it? Well, that's not surprising...

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

Bokonon - Did you get your username from "Cat's Cradle" or is that your name or something.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember the specs of my first computer; it was an IBM PC of some sorts running DOS. I used it mainly for a handful of games.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GeronL
Member # 9674

- posted      Profile for GeronL   Email GeronL         Edit/Delete Post 
I was too poor to get a real computer. By the time I could afford an old computer people were moving to something called a Pentium... I had a Tandy 386 SX, all of 25mhz that had come with 8 MB RAM and a 4.something modem. The hard drive was not even a gig.

I was poor but I added a new modem, sound card, RAM et al. A local ISP actually fixed it for me for free and loaded Netcape 1.33 on it as a browser.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Crystal Quest rocked!

My first computer was an Apple MacPlus. It had an external 20Mb hard drive the size of an unabridged dictionary. I occasionally think of it when I am slipping a 1G flash card into my camera...

It's hard to remember this, but the Mac had a B&W screen.

I loved HyperCard.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a Macintosh 1, and a Mac II, then we got the Mac IIse, and I think for a while we had a Mac IIsi, with a seperate large BW moniter, then eventually a color moniter. Then years passed and we finally got a Mac Performa 6330, then an imac G3 330, then (against my strenuous objections) my mom chose an imac g3 700 over a G4, because it was cheaper. I have lived in the shadow of that mistake for 6 years now, and next week I will finally be able to afford to replace that underpowered, overworked, overhyped load of garbage.

I am buying an Mac Intel power book in a week. HURRAY FOR ME!!!

edit: oh and I slaved away for most of my undergrad years on a Dell Pentium 4. Also a mistake- every component had to be replaced within 3 years. Now I can't wait to stop using it.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
No such thing as a Intel PowerBook. They are MacBook's and MacBook Pro's. They are awesomely fast! I love my MacBook. Widescreen is to die for too.

Still have Crystal Quest... Unfortunately it doesn't run on my MacBook [Cry] Good thing I still got PPC Macs...

I have no idea which was the first computer. C64, Vic20, or Atari 400. Probably the Atari 400.

Amiga's are cool. I've still got an A2000. And an A500. Never turn them on though.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

yeah, the MacBook Pro rocks! Very fast, very fun and pretty stable on the Mac side, and the Win side runs pretty good 91% of the time.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, whatever, I haven't researched them yet. I will have to go to the apple store and face down the apple "genius" gnome who sold me my ipod. The little turd. I thought geniuses would at least have good dental hygiene. But noooooo..
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.