FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » click... a phenomenon?

Author Topic: click... a phenomenon?
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
This is about things that feel right.

I'm assuming most of you are familiar with the sensation of connecting with a person you've just met. You haven't really spent enough time together to really get to know one another, but nonetheless there's the feeling that you fit together ('clicking' together like two pieces of a jigsaw puzzle). Sometimes it's described as chemistry.

Admittedly, I don't have this feeling very often when it comes to people. But I do encounter a similar sensation with regard to other things.
Like stumbling across a book and picking it up just because you're intrigued by the title alone. Or buying a CD by a musician you've never heard of and having it turn out be one of the best purchases you've made recently.

Being a rather insecure person, I tend to ratify such gut feelings by looking for reasons why I should like the person or object in question. The more reasons I find, the easier it becomes to act upon the feeling. But I'd like to evolve to a state where, once in a while, I can just act upon such instincts without analysing them, since thinking gets in the way of action and I have been known to let good things pass me by, because I wasn't sure whether I could trust my feelings.

I'd like to hear some of your views on this phenomenon. Or perhaps just some examples of your own; times when you felt that something was right, even though you couldn't really explain why.

-Estelmo

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
There's no shame in this, Eduardo; there's actually been a lot of research lately that indicates that the "gut feelings" of people experienced in a given field are frequently more accurate than their considered opinions, and become more accurate as the situation becomes more complex. It's possible that our instincts work as subconscious filters which are more effective when there's a lot of noise cluttering up our perceptions.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.