FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » hey fiber/yarn fanatics.... Fiber delivered? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: hey fiber/yarn fanatics.... Fiber delivered?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
One of these days I'm going to have to set up a website so I can post the pictures of the sweaters I've designed and the yarn of dyed.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
You can get a flickr account, which will host the pictures for you. www.flickr.com
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Like mine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theca/

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I broke down and bought Not Just Socks to find some mitten, glove, and hat patterns for sockyarn. Well, and sock patterns. I think it was a good purchase.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Banna, I think I would indeed like some yarn. I'm thinking about making these mitten-things (minus the beads) in azul profundo romm for my mom. I haven't found a sweater pattern I really like yet, but that mitten pattern looks like fun. It calls for 200 yards, so I'm thinking two 3.5-oz...er, wads? (hanks? chunks?) of wool would be enough, right?

Let me know if that's still okay and how much I'd owe you with shipping and such, and I'll email you with my address. [Smile]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I emailed AJ saying I changed my mind, and she hasn't responded, so she may be away from computer for a while.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
ok... just catching up... Didn't use the computer the entire weekend. Got sick and someone in the mall knocked my ice cream out of my hands (it wasn't even my fault)

Will catch up... I haven't ordered anything yet!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

RV acua Romm 3.5 ounces, I'll have my dad write you a check.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Do you have paypal?

I'm going to e mail you both from my work e-mail, cause I can't get to my other e-mail during the day.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Nell I'd reccommend three 3.5 oz rovings to be on the safe side. There is no guarantee the dye lots will match if we order more later.
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

I have Paypal, AJ. And my email is jadykins81 AT hotmail DOT com.

Edit: Okay, I was wondering if I should get 3. Sounds good. [Smile]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I don't have paypal.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

sent e-mail.

AJ

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

Replied, sent to both your work email and your yahoo.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

replied to work.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I have a friend here at work who is interested also so I'm going to hold off til Friday to order.

AJ

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

That's fine, I'd love to have yarn by Thanksgiving or Christmas, since that's when I'll see my grandma who is most impressed by my knitting.
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

Okay, that's fine with me too. I'm sorta hoping for the same timeframe breyerchic is, but it's not vital. Enough time for me to finish the mittens before winter ends will be nice, so my mom can actually use them when I give them to her. [Smile]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Ok... due to my boyfriend's dental emergency I didn't get the order in last week. However a co-worker also added to the order which will make it even better. So I'll get it in today. And it doesn't take me all that long to spin up, if I do it in the evenings while watching TV. I did about 300 yards this past week, without even working on it that much.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Due to internet wierdness (I didn't realize I should have printed the page at a certain point and couldn't go back without paying twice) I may not be able to determine how much everyone owes me until the itemized packing list arrives.

I'm personally buying the paris night and polar morn with some emerald viv thrown in, I think all three blended together could be awesome.

AJ

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

Ooohh, I didn't even think of blending different colors together! Those two were the ones I was eyeballing for myself, too, but I couldn't come up with a project to use it for. Someday I shall have to try this yarn-spinning thing myself.

Just let me know the amount whenever it's convenient, and I'll zap the cash over to you. [Smile]

And I hope the dental emergency is all better now. That sure doesn't sound like fun. [Angst]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

A lot of it has more to do with my boyfriends terror of denists than it was an actual "emergency" However he narrowly escaped a root canal and I had to be there in case they decided to do it, and he needed driving back and forth.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

It has arrived!!!!!!!

Nell do you want single or double ply?

AJ

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

Yay!!

Um...what ply do you think would work best for mitten-things? I guess double would be more durable, right? [Confused]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Double will hold up better... I'll go ahead and do it double.

120 yds for breyerchic
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bannaoj/251762333/
This is before stretching to set the twist so it's a little messy.

FYI This is what a single ply looks like
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bannaoj/250108783/

Nell's dark Blue is absolutely gorgeous too... I'll get some pictures as soon as I get the first batch spun up. The spinning makes the colors pop more than just in the roving.

The rovings also smell slightly vinegary... I'm betting that's what they used to set the dye. Breyer's bled a bit when I set the twist with the hot water but I rinsed it pretty good, so I'll let you know how it smells afterwards.

AJ

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
hey Banna, you might have already posted this, but what kind of spindle do you have? One of my bishopric raises alpacas and is willing to give me hair to play with, and I was thinking about trying spinning. I've seen some drop spindles on the internet for 10-20 bucks that I might try, but I wanted input from someone in the know first. [Smile]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Nell you got 3 rovings, with shipping figure $7 each which would be $21, plus $4, for when I mail to you, would a round $25 be fair?
paypal is bannaoj at yahoo.com

Also for both of you, when I send it, if you could figure out what you would have paid for it on an "open" market I'd appreciate it. I'm considering opening my own etsy site.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

the one I learned on is a Knundert and they run $35.

The Louets are cheaper and run $15-20ish but they are definitely more bare bones, I like the Kundert because it has a little knob at the bottom making it easier to spin, while the louet is just a plain dowel rod. They are decently balanced though.

I've heard cascade spindles are good too.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

bumpity... where's Nell??

AJ

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

Here I am! Sorry, I wasn't online at all yesterday. Double ply and $25 sounds fine, and I shall Paypal the funds over to you forthwith. [Smile]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I'll have pictures of the first batch tonight!

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

PICTURES!!!!
All three colors for friends
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bannaoj/253082274/

Nell's blue....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bannaoj/253082281/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bannaoj/253082278/

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my, that's beautiful stuff, Banna. It makes me wish you'd send me a whole bunch. I'm also really really torn over which is my favorite, the purple, the green, or the blue... Or the purple. Or the blue. Or the green... Or the purple. Hmm. You make it tough. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
Banna those yarns are lovely, the colors are beautiful and they look so soft!

FYI-- I recently bought some hand-spun, hand-dyed wool from a friend, it was double-ply lamb/sheep wool, 150 yards for $17.50.

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Do you say mare-in-o or marine-o?

I've been hearing different pronunciations....

It depends on who is dying it, the type of fiber, and where it comes from, as to the cost of the raw rovings. Average is about $11.00/4oz for merino.

The south american place is only $7 (including S&H) for 3.5oz of merino. So it's considerably cheaper, however you aren't necessarily getting the same sort of variety of exotic color that you get from the small scale U.S. folks.

What I was sort of thinking of, is doing cost plus $10 which sounds close to what your friend is doing. Or, for a friend, just agree on a flat fee like maybe $30, for a larger quantity of yarn. But I need my hatrack guinea pigs *grin* to actually get their yarn and see what they think of it before I can make a realistic assesment.

AJ

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Mur-Eee-no
BannaOj
Member # 3206

see I've always said mare-i-no
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

Ooh, they're all so pretty! *glee*

I say merino almost like Breyerchic does, only more like "muh-REE-no"...which I suppose is pretty close to "marine-o". I've never actually heard anyone else say it, though, so I'm not sure where my pronunciation came from.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Nell your second roving is finished... haven't stretched it yet to set the twist, will do that tonight, to find out how much is there.

I'm going to have a bunch of things I need to mail, I'm hoping I can get it all done by Saturday and make one huge trip to the post office, but we will see.

AJ

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

AJ, about how much was the shipping on the roving? I'm really considering ordering some to try more spinning myself.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

rats, I don't remember breyerchic ... it wasn't too bad. btw Nell, your yarn is in the mail.

AJ

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

Woo-hoo! [Big Grin]

That was really fast!

BannaOj
Member # 3206

it arrived???
BannaOj
Member # 3206

or you mean that it is on its way? I only mailed it last night...

AJ

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

LOL! No, not yet. I was just expressing my surprise at how quickly you were able to make the yarn. Sorry for the confusion! [Smile]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

*is antsy and anxious* I think Nell's yarn should arrive by tomorrow...

AJ

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

I will keep an eye out for it, then. [Smile]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Ok, I had two packages going to NY that I mailed on the same day. The one that wasn't to Nell has been delivered according to the confirmation number. Here's hoping Nell's gets there today too!

AJ

P.S. It just updated... I don't know if tracking numbers are a good thing since I got rather neurotic about checking...

"Your item was delivered at 2:45 pm on October 05, 2006"

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

I haven't seen it yet, but I didn't get home from work till late tonight, so it's quite possible that it did get delivered and my landlord held on to it since I wasn't home. (I don't have my own mailbox.) I'll ask him about it tomorrow and let you know.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

will do...
AJ

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.