FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite Fictional Character of any Medium? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Favorite Fictional Character of any Medium?
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone who spoke to you more than any real human being. Someone who you identified with. Someone who you felt captured a perfect snapshot of the human psyche. Or, simply, someone you felt was really, really cool.

For me, it would have to be a toss up between Holden Caufield and Hamlet. Both are such deep characters that it's scary.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Denny Crane!
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, from Calvin & Hobbes
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Scout.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Owen Meany.
Croaker.
Garp.
Robert Jordan (not the author)

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
bert and ernie?
the cookie monster - most definitely!

and

Oscar the grouch: but only on my bad days.

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Luc Picard.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter
Bridget Jones
Chandler from Friends
The Buckman from Mad About You
Danny Ocean
Tula from My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Kate and Luc from French Kiss
Kathleen Kelly and Joe Fox from You've Got Mail

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Caliban
Professor Fate and Maximillion
The Hero of Canton
Rube & George (Dead Like Me)
I wish I was Han Solo.

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I think everyone has a little Holden Caulfield in them.

I'd have to go with Superman. Or the Hulk. Yeah, definitely the Hulk.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Betsy Ray
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Sam Vimes and Esme Weatherwax - Discworld
Francie Nolan - A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Jo March - Little Women
Inigo Montoya - The Princess Bride
Ford Prefect - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Sam Gamgee - Lord of the Rings
Spike - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
Howard Roark from The Fountainhead.
Roland Deschain from The Dark Tower.
Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird.

They were all awesome.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Lauren Olamina- Parable of the Talents
Veronica Mars
And to be true to the fangirl in me... Ender, Valentine, and Peter [Big Grin]

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Good Job, Amanecer, with the Lauren reference. She came to mind first, but I'm giving it some more thought before I give the difinitive answer...
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Terisa Morgan (Mordant's Need)
PAD's Linda Danvers
Maddy (Foxfire - the movie; not the book)
Dagny Taggart

[ September 03, 2006, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: starLisa ]

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Miles Vorkosigan
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Sherlock Holmes
Spock
Gandalph

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope to marry a woman who will let me name one of our sons 'Atticus' if that gives you any indication...
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Sydney Carton from "A Tale of Two Cities" and Edmond Dantes of "The Count of Monte Cristo". Close seconds are Sam from LOTR and Athos from "The Three Musketeers"
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hugh57
Member # 5527

- posted      Profile for hugh57   Email hugh57         Edit/Delete Post 
Dogbert
Posts: 241 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Fujiwarano Sai from Hikaru no Go
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Sethe from Beloved and Atticus Finch.

Also, Mr Darcy from Pride and Prejudice (the book, not the film) was my first crush.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
FitzChivalry Farseer
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
blackwolve, I am rereading The Warrior's Apprentice right now. [Smile]

Paksenarrion Dorthansdotter

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Hm...

Gordon Frohman -- Concerned
Atticus Finch -- To Kill a Mockingbird
Sam -- Benny and Joon

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Firstly I'd like to second some of the selections that went before.

quote:
Originally posted by MandyM:

Chandler from Friends

Yeah, that's also one of my choices. A lot of this character's backstory has similarities to my own.

quote:
Originally posted by calaban:

Caliban

I can easily feel the loneliness that he had to experience on that island.

quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:

Dagny Taggart

Even though I'm still reading this book, she has quickly become one of my favourite characters. Following your own star, no matter what anyone might say. Rule!?

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:

Sherlock Holmes
Spock
Gandalf

Ah well, I don't think these need any explanation.

quote:
Originally posted by Little_Doctor

FitzChivalry Farseer

Duty, Solitude and in touch with nature.

Besides those, the first character that comes to mind is Cugel from Jack Vance's "Tales of the Dying Earth". I admire him because he's far from being your typical fantasy type hero. He kicks and screams and rails against the fates, which he seems to think are always in conspiracy against him and yet he perseveres. He's not unwilling to help someone else, but there's gotta be something in it for himself as well. Needless to say I only want to be a bit more like him, because on the whole he's not a very lovable person.

*Wolverine; loner type of hero, gruff exterior with the soft core.
*Link; the elvish hero from the Zelda game series, most especially as he appeared in his two adventures on the N64.
*Pug & Jimmy the Hand; from the wonderful world of Midkemia.
*Roy Calvert; from the novel "The Light and the Dark" by C.P. Snow. A phenomenal linguist struggles with his talents and the way the establishment is trying to push him.
*George Passant; from the novel "Strangers and Brothers" by ibid. A man, while trying to help the people around him, gets into trounble himself.
*Henry Wilt; the man with the grasshopper mind. from the novels by Tom Sharpe.
*Orlando; from the Otherland series by Tad Williams. Battling an incurable disease and still managing to be a hero at the right time. Kudos!
*Richard (Cypher) Rahl; The Seeker of Truth, just because of that function I feel strongly connected to him.

edited for obscurity. [Big Grin]

[ September 11, 2006, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: Eduardo St. Elmo ]

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
The guy with "poor impulse control" in that Neal Stephenson book.

(I kid, I kid.)

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joldo:
Mr Darcy from Pride and Prejudice (the book, not the film) was my first crush.

I'm still a little bit in love with him.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Thought of a few more:
R. Daneel Olivaw - Asimov's Robot books
Tasslehoff Burrfoot - Dragonlance books
Raul Endymion - Endymion series by Simmons
Isaac Dan der Grimnebulin of Perdido Street Station
Willow from Buffy because she's super hot [Wink]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I know there's probably more obvious reasons to like this character, but Major Motoko Kusanagi of Ghost in the Shell fame, has to be my top cool character.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

I forgot Abner Doon. Is it bad to identify with the bad guys?
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
My second choice (and I know he's the love of at least one other): Alessandro Giullani, A Soldier of the Great War
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Armory Blaine. Winston Smith.

(and most characters imagined by Joss Wheadon)

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Jason Fox
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princesska
Member # 8954

- posted      Profile for Princesska           Edit/Delete Post 
Spike is great; he's the only reason I ever tuned into "Buffy". Ford Prefect is also wonderful -- both in the book and, to my great suprise, as Mos Def plays him in the recent movie. As for Jean-Luc Picard, ST:TNG came on the air when I was three -- I've grown up with him and the whole crew!

My own additions to the list:

Philip Carey from "Of Human Bondage", i.e., my alter-ego.

Charlotte York from "Sex and the City", i.e., my alternate alter-ego.

Night Tenjo from "Absolute Boyfriend", i.e., a manga re-imagining of my boyfriend.

Heathcliff from "Wuthering Heights", whom I had a crush on.

... and for sheer coolness, Jack Sparrow from "Pirates of the Carribean". He's just so increadibly far out of his mind!

Posts: 44 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
Batman, literally the hero I am fascinated with.

Buffy Summers, love the journey and the hero.

V from V for Vendetta, a great movie and a hero that really isnt but kinda is.

James Bond, cmon gotta give some love to the man who is cool even when he orders a watered down drink.

Pretty much any character by Aaron Sorkin. A writer that I think is better that Joss Whedon.

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick Easter from Runaway Jury

Most characters in the Greatwinter Trilogy by Sean McMullen

Arya Stark from A Song of Ice and Fire

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Really cool:
Jack Sparrow from the first movie.
Spider Jerusalem, during my cynical moods.
Robert B. Parker's Hawk.
The demon Crowley.
V.
Death of the Endless.
Spike.

Identified with:
Sam Vimes or Rincewind, depending on my needs.
Oz from BtVS.
Hoban "Wash" Washburne
Peter Parker.
Gomez Addams and Captain Spaulding, when it comes to romance.
Jake Stonebender.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Lorelai Gilmore

Anne Shirley

Aerin

Ender Wiggin

Charly (from Flowers for Algernon)

Jane Eyre

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Megan Murray O'Keefe from A Wrinkle In Time and sequels.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Zoe from Firefly
Faith and Spike from Buffy
Death and Delirium from Sandman
Bigby Wolf from Fables
Ed, Catelyn, and Arya Stark and Tyrion Lannister from Song of Ice and Fire
Phedre no Delaunay and Melisande Shahrizai from the Kushiel books
Starbuck from BSG (the new one, naturally)
Delenn, Ivanova, and G'Kar from Babylon 5

I know there's a lot more, but I'm having trouble thinking of them.

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Buffy Summers, love the journey and the hero
I am always amazed when somebody says that they actually liked her. While I loved that show, I always disliked her.

quote:
Be still my beating heart.

[ September 05, 2006, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stray:
Ed, Catelyn, and Arya Stark and Tyrion Lannister from Song of Ice and Fire

Interesting that you include Catelyn in that list. While I agree with you about Ned, Arya, and Tyrion, I actually dislike Catelyn a bit. It's because of her treatment of Jon (Jon being a character that I'd put on the list alongside Ned, Arya, and Tyrion).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I dislike Catelyn quite a bit as well, but for me it's because of how she abandoned her her youngest sons when they needed her most.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by calaban:
I forgot Abner Doon. Is it bad to identify with the bad guys?

Who says he's a bad guy?

I think Abner Doon (who should be played by Ben Kingsley, btw) is my favorite OSC character.

Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...it's been quite a while since I read those, maybe I'm forgetting some stuff that would make me like Catelyn less.

quote:
Be still my beating heart. [/QB][/QUOTE]

[Confused]

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

Kingsley, for sure. Or perhaps Tony Shaloub.

Many "bad guys" have reasons for doing what they are doing. Somtimes the reasons may even appear good to them. There is no denying that Abner did some pretty bad things in the name of freeing the universe; to accomplish his goals he had to become the evil he was trying to destroy through deception coercing and killing. He knew he was an angel of distruction and willingly assumed that mantle.

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
Xander (from buffy): In a world of 'super heroes' he was the regular guy. He often seemed to be on the outside looking in...but he would do anything for his friends.

Ben Hur (from the book of the same name): He persevered through an insane amount of hardship...but in the end didn't let his rage consume him (and he had every right to feel rage).

Athalus (from the Redemption of Athalus): A very funny character, who never claims to be "good" in our society he would have been locked up, but he still fights those who are evil.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Do you have a question, Stray?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.